Summon and Control Dogboys

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Summon and Control Dogboys

Unread post by nilgravity »

Does summon and control canines work on Dog boys and or Wolfen?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Summon and Control Dogboys

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nope.

But that'd be funny if it did!
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

I was wondering about Dog Boys specifically because according to Lone Star they are just upright smart dogs with no DNA from anything else. Though I guess if it did work on Dog Boys that would mean Vampires could control them
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

The difference being those upright dogs have human level intelligence.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

just because their DNA doesn't come from another creature, doesn't mean that it does come from a dog.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

nilgravity wrote:Does summon and control canines work on Dog boys and or Wolfen?
No.

The ongoing principle behind Dog Boys -implied in some books, but said outright in others -is that while Dog Boys are pretty much 100% Canine, with some genes tweaked to give them things like human-level intelligence, hands, and opposable thumbs, they are more on the humanoid side, and as such, for some metaphysical reason they neither suffer from supernatural effects that can affect their genetically primitive brethren, nor do they have much in the way of the supernatural gifts either apart from, of course, the ability to sense the supernatural.

(In some settings -like Rifts: Chaos Earth and/or Mystic China I & II, I think, some ordinary animals like dogs and roosters can harm or at least hinder some supernatural creatures with either their physical attacks or the sounds that they make.)

In the Palladium setting, just because one thing is physically or biologically identical to something else, that doesn't necessarily mean that Magic will affect them in the exact same way.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

nilgravity wrote:Does summon and control canines work on Dog boys and or Wolfen?

No, but that doesn't mean that an extremely rare spell/ritual variation for that express purpose can't exist. I mean there are summon and control versions of spells for more intelligent creatures (Shadow Beast, Demon, Entity, etc).

The basic reason is that Dog-Boys are mutants, not true canines anymore. Wolfen may simply look like Mutant Dogs, and have other similar characteristics to canines.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

That starts to tread on psychic turf :)
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Eclipse wrote:That starts to tread on psychic turf :)

Hmm.. That might actually solve the problem that inspired the question..

Icefalcon wrote:The difference being those upright dogs have human level intelligence.

Okay does Summon and Control Canines work on anything other than mundane wolves/dogs? Whisker Coyote's? Hellhounds? Phantom Wolves?
Icefalcon
Champion

I would say it works on anything that is not supernatural in nature and does not have a high intelligence.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I would say it works fine. You cast the spell they smell you doing it and they come running. Only downside is they probably then shoot you or stab you with vibro knives for being a dirty magic user.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Classic, kaid :)

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

kaid wrote:I would say it works fine. You cast the spell they smell you doing it and they come running. Only downside is they probably then shoot you or stab you with vibro knives for being a dirty magic user.

that doesn't sound an awful lot like summon and control dogboys at all to me.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

.. would be the last thought that went through your head.. :)

Pepsi Jedi
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Just throw an enchanted steak at the opponent. Job done.
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Icefalcon
Champion

Qev wrote:Just throw an enchanted steak at the opponent. Job done.

the psychic milk bone would work better.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Lace the bone with psi-cola.

Pepsi Jedi
Icefalcon
Champion

I was more thinking of a psionically created milk bone that transferred psychic control of the Dog Boy to the maker.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

The problem isn't controlling the dog boys, it's the psi-stalker chasing after them.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Shark_Force wrote:
kaid wrote:I would say it works fine. You cast the spell they smell you doing it and they come running. Only downside is they probably then shoot you or stab you with vibro knives for being a dirty magic user.

that doesn't sound an awful lot like summon and control dogboys at all to me.

If this board had a Thumb Up button...this would get x 2 of them :)

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

nilgravity wrote:

Icefalcon wrote:The difference being those upright dogs have human level intelligence.

Okay does Summon and Control Canines work on anything other than mundane wolves/dogs? Whisker Coyote's? Hellhounds? Phantom Wolves?
Just because something cosmetically resembles an Earth dog or wolf or coyote or whatever, doesn't necessarily mean that we're dealing with a canine.....just as an Elf doesn't suddenly become a human if you give it plastic surgery to make it look like one.

A case-by-case examination of each species is needed to see if they whether or not each creature is actually an Earth canine (or genetic, non-intelligent offspring thereof), or just an animal who happens to look like one; and regardless of words in their name such as "wolf" or "coyote" or "jackal" or "dog" otherwise this particular spell would work on things like Prairie Dogs, Wolf Spiders, Dog Fish, Sirius.... ;) :P
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Summon Dogboy
Level: 15 (ritual)
Range: 100 miles for every 2 levels.
Duration: Instant teleport, ritual takes 18 min.
Saving throw: Special, the dogboy must be willing.
PPE:680
Summon Dogboy is a ritual that requiers making a magic circle and a large amount of PPE. Near the end of the ritual the dogboys with in the range, starting at more then 1 mile away, will be given a choice (yes or no) of coming to help the mage(s) of the ritual. The magic make this contact to dogboys closer to the circle first and moving outward till as many as 1 dogboy per 5 combined levels of those mages participating in the ritual, are teleported into the circle at the end of the ritual. The magic does not give a location of the casting site, but does Identify those that are participating in the ritual to the contacted dogboy(s).
Even if there are no willing dogboys with in the range, the PPE is spent.

Based this on the summon ally ritual.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

cornholioprime wrote:
nilgravity wrote:

Just because something cosmetically resembles an Earth dog or wolf or coyote or whatever, doesn't necessarily mean that we're dealing with a canine.....just as an Elf doesn't suddenly become a human if you give it plastic surgery to make it look like one.

A case-by-case examination of each species is needed to see if they whether or not each creature is actually an Earth canine (or genetic, non-intelligent offspring thereof), or just an animal who happens to look like one; and regardless of words in their name such as "wolf" or "coyote" or "jackal" or "dog" otherwise this particular spell would work on things like Prairie Dogs, Wolf Spiders, Dog Fish, Sirius.... ;) :P

I can summon and control a STAR?!? Sweeeeet!

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg

Return to “Rifts®”