Dragon Teleportation

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Dragon Teleportation

Unread post by GenThunderfist »

I need a Dragon in lock-down! :?

Is there a way to circumnavigate the annoying ability of Dragons teleporting as a defensive action. The only one I can think of is Anti-Magic Cloud, but I am trying to see if there is another way to accomplish the same thing.
Shoot or Die, it's the name of the game.

Oh kids these days, with their texting and murder...
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Dragon Teleportation

Unread post by Shark_Force »

is magic an option in general, or are you looking specifically for a technological option?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

GenThunderfist wrote:I need a Dragon in lock-down! :?

Is there a way to circumnavigate the annoying ability of Dragons teleporting as a defensive action. The only one I can think of is Anti-Magic Cloud, but I am trying to see if there is another way to accomplish the same thing.

The spell Dimensional Barrier (Library of Bethrald, Palladium Fantasy) locks down all teleportation in a pretty good radius.

Block or Seal aginst Teleportation and Mystic Portal (one spell, just a really convoluted name) is a space magic spell that accomplishes the same thing.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Knock it unconscious.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

The spell Dimensional Barrier (Library of Bethrald, Palladium Fantasy) locks down all teleportation in a pretty good radius.

Block or Seal aginst Teleportation and Mystic Portal (one spell, just a really convoluted name) is a space magic spell that accomplishes the same thing.

IIRC, Barrier of Thoth also blocks teleportation.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Only from one side to the other. the dragon would still be free to teleport dodge in any other direction from the wall.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Only from one side to the other. the dragon would still be free to teleport dodge in any other direction from the wall.

You can't make a cube?
Even if you can't do it in one casting, have 6 mages cast it, each making a wall.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

You can't make a cube?
Even if you can't do it in one casting, have 6 mages cast it, each making a wall.

In theory, possibly, but if you have six mages with three thousand PPE each, you probablly have better ways to deal with the dragon.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Nekira Sudacne wrote:In theory, possibly, but if you have six mages with three thousand PPE each, you probablly have better ways to deal with the dragon.

What about 6 mages with scrolls?

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:In theory, possibly, but if you have six mages with three thousand PPE each, you probablly have better ways to deal with the dragon.

Same principle. If you have access to those kinds of resources there are still easier ways to do it.

the real question is, of course, weather or not it's possible, and I don't think it is. nothing in the spell suggests you can lay a wall flat. the spell says it creates a wall, not a roof or a floor, and nothing suggests it's possible to knock it down without depeleting all it's MDC (thus destroying it entirely)

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Same principle. If you have access to those kinds of resources there are still easier ways to do it.

Like?

the real question is, of course, weather or not it's possible, and I don't think it is. nothing in the spell suggests you can lay a wall flat. the spell says it creates a wall, not a roof or a floor, and nothing suggests it's possible to knock it down without depeleting all it's MDC (thus destroying it entirely)

Well, nothing suggests that you can't lay the wall flat.
"Flat" is a relative term.

Likewise, there is nothing suggesting that the wall cannot be curved.

So it might be possible to get by with two castings, each circling the target.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Another thing to consider is that Dragon Teleportation has a percentage chance of success.
Depending on GM interpretation, that percentage might be affected by spells/effects that impair skills, such as Fleet Feet.

Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Would Anti-Magic cloud even have an effect, since it is an innate ability of a creature of magic, and not a magic spell?

Stopping a dragons teleportation is hard mostly due to the fact that the teleportation ability of dragons is so unexplained and vague. If they need to be able to see where they are going, or know their destination, or can they jump blindly into the unknown with an equally good chance of succesfully ending up exactly where they wanted to be, even if they didn't know what was out there? Could a dragon in a closed room, in an unkown area, even teleport out of it? And if so, where would it go? 'Northernly, and more up than down and about 2 miles'? Doesn't seem very specific, what if it's guess took it into a mountain, or inside a tree? Can that even happen? And on and on and on. You really can't stop the teleport, because no one knows how it works.

Easiest way to keep it from teleporting would be to do something that prevents it from succesfully rolling the % dice necessary to do so. Keep it unconscious, keep some spells on it that prevent skill use/diminish skill proficiency, ect.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Take another approach: Psionics.

Hit him with Hypnotic Suggestion / Mentally Possess Others / Empathic Transmission (trust) to prevent him from teleporting.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Like?

some palladium wall spells specifically state they can only be used perpendicular to the ground. which side of the argument you feel is more strengthened by that fact is up to debate, of course, but it is something to consider. there is a lot of wiggle room in many spells.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

What about the Shifter's ability to know and follow teleportation? I can't remember exactly what it can and can't do.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Eashamahel wrote:Would Anti-Magic cloud even have an effect, since it is an innate ability of a creature of magic, and not a magic spell?

IMO, no.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

The spell force bonds i belive stops teleportation , and is not ultra high level or 3k in ppe costs.

Having 6 scrolls of barriaer of toth is a huge exspense. Isnt it a spell of legend? That would make the scroll well over a million each.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Like?

Dimensional barrier+spending some of those millions on nuclear missiles to blow the dragon to peices with once it can't teleport out of the blast.

You can make the argument that a mage could curve the wall spells, I just find those arguments unconvincing.

A simple, natural reading of the spell is it makes an x by x by x wall with Y damage capacity. that's it. it gives no ability to shape or alter the wall, and i'm not inclined to beleive it's possible to do so.

nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

dragonfett wrote:What about the Shifter's ability to know and follow teleportation? I can't remember exactly what it can and can't do.

Oooh can TW missiles be enchanted with follow teleportation?
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

nilgravity wrote:
dragonfett wrote:What about the Shifter's ability to know and follow teleportation? I can't remember exactly what it can and can't do.

Oooh can TW missiles be enchanted with follow teleportation?

Theoritcaly TW missles could. TW can do things that nomral magic can't. The problem is that TW creation is basicaly GM discretion.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Splynne Dimensional Market page 144,

The Serpent Slayer, a spear, javelin or trident that imbeds itself in dragons it attacks and and makes teleporting more difficult. Sale of these is very controlled because dragons don't want them sold and even the Splugorith take the opinions of dragons in mind.

Also shooting one with a tracking arrow and using it to target long range missiles tends to work pretty well as well.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Eashamahel wrote:Would Anti-Magic cloud even have an effect, since it is an innate ability of a creature of magic, and not a magic spell?
Whether "innate" or not, Dragon Teleportation as described in the books is still a magical effect and as such, would be blocked by the properties of the A-M Cloud spell.

The magical powers of an enchanted weapon are "innate" to that object, yet are stopped from taking effect in a A-M Cloud, so we should surmise that a Dragon's innate abilities would be offline as well for the duration of the spell or while he remains within the cloud.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

rat_bastard wrote:Splynne Dimensional Market page 144,

The Serpent Slayer, a spear, javelin or trident that imbeds itself in dragons it attacks and and makes teleporting more difficult. Sale of these is very controlled because dragons don't want them sold and even the Splugorith take the opinions of dragons in mind.

Also shooting one with a tracking arrow and using it to target long range missiles tends to work pretty well as well.

Also the Dimensional Shackles Bio-Wizard device in Splynn Dimensional Market stops any and all teleportation. But you'l need to be able to get them on the dragon first.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Zamion138 wrote:The spell force bonds i belive stops teleportation , and is not ultra high level or 3k in ppe costs.

Having 6 scrolls of barriaer of toth is a huge exspense. Isnt it a spell of legend? That would make the scroll well over a million each.

Not to the Mage who could make those scrolls.
Then they'd be worth some parchment and ink.

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:The spell force bonds i believe stops teleportation , and is not ultra high level or 3k in ppe costs.

Having 6 scrolls of barrier of thoth is a huge expense. Isn't it a spell of legend? That would make the scroll well over a million each.

Remember that a mage who uses a scroll has a chance of learning the spell cast instantly, and Barrier of Thoth is a spell of legend, the mage who hands out such a scroll is potentially handing out millions if not billions of credits.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Zamion138 wrote:The spell force bonds I believe stops teleportation , and is not ultra high level or 3k in ppe costs.

Having 6 scrolls of barrier of Thoth is a huge expense. Isn't it a spell of legend? That would make the scroll well over a million each.

RUE page 214 wrote:"Teleporting away, while bound, will take the character to a new location, but he is still bound."
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Anti-Magic Cloud (140 PPE as a level 11 spell, also available for 0 PPE from a magic wand/staff of Rue, see Rifts: England, p31-32)

This negates and prevents all magic. Even those who save (un-modified 18+) can use their magic at half strength. By the book, this negates all magic, which, by my interpretation, includes magic abilities. This would probably eliminate a dragon's ability to teleport, or at least chop its success rate in half. Of course, it only works if you can keep the dragon inside the cloud, but there are ways to do that.

That's how I'd take down a dragon (if I really had to).
Last edited by Hotrod on Wed May 22, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:The spell force bonds i belive stops teleportation , and is not ultra high level or 3k in ppe costs.

Yeah 18600 ppe, and some paper.
Thats a crap ton of ppe. While it might not be the same as the physical costs of say 6 icbm's in magical terms it may as well be. Thats probably enough ppe for an AI to lock in on a plane of existence.
Assuming its god o some sort making these as thats the level of caster were talking it seems like a high price to pay to get rid of a dragon. For alot less ppe and divine favors owed you could do 6 scrolls of ahnilation, and just kill the thing.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

You could try DU rounds. They won't stop the dragon from teleporting but I know it wouldn't be able to heal itself until each round was removed. Maybe it would be distracted enough/in enough pain to just focus on getting the rounds out of it's body.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Zamion138 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yeah 18600 ppe, and some paper.
Thats a crap ton of ppe. While it might not be the same as the physical costs of say 6 icbm's in magical terms it may as well be. Thats probably enough ppe for an AI to lock in on a plane of existence.

Or they could be made one at a time, for about 3k PPE, which isn't too hard to do with some preparation.
Especially since, as I pointed out, some GMs could well allow it to be done with 1-2 castings.

it seems like a high price to pay to get rid of a dragon. For alot less ppe and divine favors owed you could do 6 scrolls of ahnilation, and just kill the thing.

6 scrolls of annihilate would do an average of 3,000 MD.
An average adult Great Horned Dragon has 5,000 MDC.
And they can dodge, so not all of the annihilate spells would hit.
And if the dragon dodged by teleporting, then most of them probably wouldn't hit.
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Wed May 22, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

rat_bastard wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:The spell force bonds i believe stops teleportation , and is not ultra high level or 3k in ppe costs.

Having 6 scrolls of barrier of thoth is a huge expense. Isn't it a spell of legend? That would make the scroll well over a million each.

Remember that a mage who uses a scroll has a chance of learning the spell cast instantly, and Barrier of Thoth is a spell of legend, the mage who hands out such a scroll is potentially handing out millions if not billions of credits.

True.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Like?

Dimensional barrier+spending some of those millions on nuclear missiles to blow the dragon to peices with once it can't teleport out of the blast.

Well, sure... IF you happen to have a 12th level spell located in an obscure tome in the Palladium Fantasy world, instead of a Spell of Legend.
And IF you have millions to spend on nukes.
And IF you don't care about civilian casualties, or are going to be ambushing the target far from anybody else.

But I don't know that any of those things are something to just take for granted.
:-?

Since no specific scenario was presented in the OP, I don't think this is an either/or kind of discussion; it seems to be open for a wide variety of ideas.
Which ideas would work best would depend on what exactly is available in the game, and what the exact scenario is.
Lacking that kind of information, it seems strange to make assumptions about what is or is not available for the hypothetical person/people squaring off against a hypothetical dragon of unknown power in unknown situations.

You can make the argument that a mage could curve the wall spells, I just find those arguments unconvincing.

A simple, natural reading of the spell is it makes an x by x by x wall with Y damage capacity. that's it. it gives no ability to shape or alter the wall, and i'm not inclined to beleive it's possible to do so.

It gives no shape for the wall. You assume that it's flat, but I see no reason to make that assumption.

The spell Shadow Wall (BoM 149) specifies that it can NOT be made into a circle or other shape, and it specifies that that wall "is relatively straight," although it "may curve a bit."
The fact that this spell specifies that it cannot be made into circles or other shapes indicates that other magically created walls can be.
If you don't want to rule that way in your games, that's cool; but if other people want to rule another way, that's just as legitimate, if not more so.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Killer Cyborg wrote:Well, sure... IF you happen to have a 12th level spell located in an obscure tome in the Palladium Fantasy world, instead of a Spell of Legend.
And IF you don't care about civilian casualties, or are going to be ambushing the target far from anybody else.

But I don't know that any of those things are something to just take for granted.

Funny, that was my point about six people with scrolls of barrier of thoth. It might work in theory, but it's hardly something one can take for granted.

And it could be argued that the text in the book indicates that dimensional barrier is an earth warlock spell, in which case a lot more people have access to it, anyone who could summon a greater elemental for starters. (it specifys that the majority of barrier spells are earth warlock spells but dosn't specifiy exactly which ones, so one could argue that any given one is an earth warlock spell)

Since no specific scenario was presented in the OP, I don't think this is an either/or kind of discussion; it seems to be open for a wide variety of ideas.
Which ideas would work best would depend on what exactly is available in the game, and what the exact scenario is.
Lacking that kind of information, it seems strange to make assumptions about what is or is not available for the hypothetical person/people squaring off against a hypothetical dragon of unknown power in unknown situations.

The OP didn't seem to be asking for whiteboard theoretical solutions, he asked "Help, how do I stop a dragons teleport dodge". that question sounds like he needs practicle advice for a particular problem he's having in a game, not for impracticle theoretical solutition. My point isn't that the nuke the dragon senario was more helpful, it's that neither senario is helpful.

It gives no shape for the wall. You assume that it's flat, but I see no reason to make that assumption.

And I see no reason to make the assumption it's curved.

The spell Shadow Wall (BoM 149) specifies that it can NOT be made into a circle or other shape, and it specifies that that wall "is relatively straight," although it "may curve a bit."
The fact that this spell specifies that it cannot be made into circles or other shapes indicates that other magically created walls can be.

No, it just indicates palladium has never been particuarly consistant with labeling things.

If you don't want to rule that way in your games, that's cool; but if other people want to rule another way, that's just as legitimate, if not more so.

I never indicated otherwise? I merely said that I personally found the argument unconvincing.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Well, sure... IF you happen to have a 12th level spell located in an obscure tome in the Palladium Fantasy world, instead of a Spell of Legend.

Funny, that was my point about six people with scrolls of barrier of thoth.

Odd.
I did not get that message from any of your posts.

It might work in theory, but it's hardly something one can take for granted.

I never said that it was.

And it could be argued that the text in the book indicates that dimensional barrier is an earth warlock spell, in which case a lot more people have access to it, anyone who could summon a greater elemental for starters. (it specifys that the majority of barrier spells are earth warlock spells but dosn't specifiy exactly which ones, so one could argue that any given one is an earth warlock spell)

Lots of stuff "could be argued."

The OP didn't seem to be asking for whiteboard theoretical solutions, he asked "Help, how do I stop a dragons teleport dodge". that question sounds like he needs practicle advice for a particular problem he's having in a game, not for impracticle theoretical solutition. My point isn't that the nuke the dragon senario was more helpful, it's that neither senario is helpful.

That would depend on what the OP has to work with.

And I see no reason to make the assumption it's curved.[/quote]

Me either.
My assumption is that, barring any indication otherwise, that the mage gets to choose the size and shape of the wall within the specified parameters.
Or, at least, that some GMs would rule that way, and that they'd be just as likely to be correct as anybody else.

No, it just indicates palladium has never been particuarly consistant with labeling things.

Not really, no.
A label in one place, and not in another, might be a symptom of inconsistent labeling, but the only way that it would indicate inconsistent labeling is if we knew via other sources that it actually belonged in the place where it is not located.

I never indicated otherwise? I merely said that I personally found the argument unconvincing.

It seemed more like you were arguing that it was not a legitimate interpretation.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Potentially helpful spells:

Delirium (BoM 33): can cause the target to become Confused (unable to teleport), to think that the Witch who cast the spell is his friend (unwilling to teleport), lost in his/her own little world (unable to teleport), or think that he/she is indestructible and take death-defying chances (unlikely to teleport).
Or it might make them want to flee, which would likely mean teleporting away.
Overall, there's a 30% chance it'll make the dragon teleport away, and a 70% chance that it'll prevent them from teleporting.

Mind Fog (BoM 50) makes the victim forget whatever is most important to him, and become confused. There is a 20% penalty to skills, which may (GM's call) include the ability to teleport.

Mesmerism (BoM 58) likewise creates a 20% skill penalty for the affected.

Northern Lights (BoM 59-60) dazzles those that fail their save, which would keep a dragon from teleporting away. Although the magic is broken if the target is attacked.

Sonic Blast (BoM 63) can impose a 25% skill penalty on the target, as well as causing the target to lose 2 melee attacks.

Electrical Field (BoM 63) has a 50% chance of stunning the target for 2d6 melees.

Tornado (BoM 65) can suck victims inside of the funnel, which not only causes damage to the target but renders them "completely helpless (can not attack, cast spells or perform skills)."
After 1d6 melees, the target is ejected from the funnel, taking more damage and becoming stunned for 2d6 minutes.

Dust Storm (BoM 67) can make the target lose initiative, and makes it "difficult to speak, cast spells and even breathe."
GM's call if that has any effect on teleportation.

Petrification (BoM 72) could turn a dragon to stone for 1d6 months, which would keep it from teleporting.

Befuddle (BoM 93) confuses the target and imposes a 20% skill penalty, along with reducing attacks by 1/2.

Trance (BoM 103) can entrance the target, prevent a dragon from teleporting.

Charm (BoM 104) could potentially keep a dragon from teleporting.

Domination (BoM 105) would keep the dragon from teleporting.

Mental Blast (BoM 109) can make the victim panic and try to escape, but it also imposes a 20% penalty on all skills, and there is a cumulative effect.

Agony (BoM 114) incapacitates the victim with pain: "the victim has no attacks per melee, can not move, perform skills or even speak."

Life Drain (BoM 117) imposes a 10% skill penalty, and reduces attacks per melee by one.

Sonic Blast (BoM 119) -25% to skills.

Luck Curse (BoM 122) -40% on skills, during critical situations.

Minor Curse (BoM 122-123) can impose a number of different skill penalties, depending on the curse. Vertigo reduces the target's number of attacks to ONE (when the vertigo kicks in), which would reduce a dragon's chances to successfully teleport away. In conjunction with another spell/effect that reduces the target's attacks by 1, it could leave a target completely without any attacks at all.

Sickness (BoM 124) likewise reduces attacks per melee to only one, as well as imposing a 40% skill penalty.

Wall of Wind (BoM 125) can pick up and hurl targets up to 4,000 lbs, throwing them in around for 1 full melee, during which time no actions of any kind can be taken, and they're dazed for the following melee round after they get thrown clear (only 1 attack per melee).

Aura of Doom (BoM 126) reduces the target's attacks per melee by half, as well as cutting their skill performance in half. This spell would only work on Hatchlings, though.

Curse: Phobia (BoM 127) could, with GM approval, create a phobia of teleportation.

Realm of Chaos (BoM 131) can only be escaped by waiting for the spell to elapse, by killing the mage who cast it, or by forcing the mage to end the spell.

Deathword (BoM 132-133) can put the target into a coma for 1d4 hours.

Havoc (BoM 133) reduces skills and attacks per melee by half, and the target has "no sense of time or direction."

Wards (BoM 138) can inflict agony and curses, as mentioned, or can put the target to sleep for 6d6 minutes.
(The Sleep spell itself, BoM 109, could also work... but only if you can make the dragon eat or drink something that you cast the spell on. Hm. Maybe you could cast it on an ally. Or combine the spell with Compulsion.)

Warped Space (BoM 138) reduces the number of attacks by half, and has a 10% chance of negating the use of magic (a 10% chance, 3-4 times, that is).

Anti-Magic Cloud (BoM 138-139) would, as people have mentioned, prevent magical teleportation.

Mindshatter (BoM 142) essentially lobotomizes the target.

Ensorcel (BoM 144) mind controls the victim.

Vicious Circle (BoM 158) incapacitates and injures targets while they are in it.

Symbol of Pain (BoM 181) incapacitates the target with pain, preventing the use of magic.

Curse: Death Wish (BoM 192) makes the target take foolish risks, such as "not teleporting away from danger."

Mock Funeral (Curse) (BoM 193-194) can impose skill penalties (-20% if the coffin is filled with dirt), make the character feel lost and confused (if the effigy is torn or chopped apart) which might interfere with teleportation (GM's call), or make the character suffer from a Death Wish (as above).

Death's Embrace (BoM 194) incapacitates the victim.

Shadow of Doom (Curse) (BoM 195) imposes a 20% skill penalty.

Curse: To Hell & Back (BoM 198) drops the target's skills and attacks per melee to 1/2.

Spoil Concentration (BoM 220) reduces skill performance by 10%.

Spoil Memory (BoM 220) imposes a 20% skill penalty, or can cause the target to "forget one small, specific thing," including one skill, fighting ability, spell, etc.

Spoil The Mind WIth Numbing Madness (BoM 220-221) Pretty much does what it says. Can't perform skills or take actions other than self-defense.

Cracked or Broken Skull Tattoo works similar to the Agony spell, cutting attacks per melee in half, and imposing a 25% skill penalty.

Suspended Animation/Stasis Field (BoM 245) can put a person under for 10 years per level. But they have to be restrained first.

T-Dep (BoM 245) imposes a 10% skill penalty, and the target loses one attack per melee.

S-Dep (Sensory Deprivation) (BoM 246) imposes a -50% skill penalty, and reduces the attacks per melee to 1.

Time Warp: Age (BoM 247) imposes a 20% skill penalty.

Song of Doubt (BoM 252) imposes a 20% skill penalty.

Song of Sleep (BoM 253) puts the target to sleep for the duration of the song, plus 2d6 minutes.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Gryphon wrote:Is he even looking for a magic answer here? That's a good list of options, but is he even going to have access to that option? That would be a good starting point to work of of. What magic does he have access too, what psionics, what technology.

Yeah, that kind of info would help.

But barring any restrictions, I figured I'd just start tossing out ideas.
For all I know, he's tired of dragons in general, and trying to decide what kind of character to make.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Funny, that was my point about six people with scrolls of barrier of thoth.

Odd.
I did not get that message from any of your posts.

I thought I was being clear. Oh well, misunderstandings happen.

It seemed more like you were arguing that it was not a legitimate interpretation.

i'm not certain what the distinction is. "I don't think that interpretation is correct" and "I am unconvinced by that interpretaion" appear to be saying the same thing in two ways.

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

My solution for keeping a dragon from using Teleport to escape:

Make it really mad at you. Most anyone tends to obsess when they're angry.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

My advice for the OP in the absence of further information:

1. Buy a wand of Rue, or a staff of rue (Rifts England, p31-32) from a Dryad or Scathach.
2. Use the stick to cast an Anti-Magic Cloud around a dragon.
3. ???
4. Profit!
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by GenThunderfist »

Alright, thanks for all the ideas

To help out, the dragon is and Adult Dragon and is already angered. The point of the problem revolves that if enough damage was done to the dragon, it could just leave and come back when it's fully healed to try again. I'm trying to find a way to lock the dragon down so that it can't leave until either the attackers are dead, or the dragon is dead - so it couldn't leave anyway.

I don't mind a magic solution, I just wanted to know if there was ANYTHING other than Anti-Magic Cloud or Spells of Legend because I really couldn't find anything. Not that those aren't both plausible, I was simply hoping for other more attainable options.
Shoot or Die, it's the name of the game.

Oh kids these days, with their texting and murder...
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I still say you should inconcievably **** it off. If your GM is the kinda guy to take that sort of thing into account...

Other than that, i guess you could just fill it full of Uranium and DU rounds, then teleport track it. There's a class that can do that, right?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

GenThunderfist wrote:Alright, thanks for all the ideas

To help out, the dragon is and Adult Dragon and is already angered. The point of the problem revolves that if enough damage was done to the dragon, it could just leave and come back when it's fully healed to try again. I'm trying to find a way to lock the dragon down so that it can't leave until either the attackers are dead, or the dragon is dead - so it couldn't leave anyway.

I don't mind a magic solution, I just wanted to know if there was ANYTHING other than Anti-Magic Cloud or Spells of Legend because I really couldn't find anything. Not that those aren't both plausible, I was simply hoping for other more attainable options.

the space magic spell block teleportation is your best bet. you just need to get to phase world to get it, fairly easy to do.

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Alrik Vas wrote:My solution for keeping a dragon from using Teleport to escape:

Make it really mad at you. Most anyone tends to obsess when they're angry.

I'd rather have it angry at you.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

rat_bastard wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Can we get a book and page number for reference here?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
warrenthewanderer
D-Bee
Comment: A wise man once said that is true happiness.

Unread post by warrenthewanderer »

Panomas wrote:Give the Dragon a reason to stay.

**** it off with the Dragon curse, that will give it a reason to stick around.
KEEP CALM AND CAST SPELLS

The man I am having dinner with is a barbarian (a Visigoth? Or just an a--hole?)

O boards, you have held up so much tedious posts that I am amazed you have not already 404'd in ruin
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Glistam wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Can we get a book and page number for reference here?

RUE 191
...a literate mage has a chance of learning spells by translating scrolls. Base Skill: 10%+2% per level of experience. Note that the spell is instantly activated the moment it is read aloud and the words then disappear or turn into gibberish or a magic symbol.

The wording is a bit vague, but the common interpretation is essentially what Rat Bastard said, that a mage can read a scroll aloud, and have a small chance of learning the spell.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

GenThunderfist wrote:Alright, thanks for all the ideas

Well, I gave a pretty good list.

When I find time, I'll try psionic options next.

dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Ok, so I was finally able to sit down and read what the Shifter's Dimension Sense can do:

3. Dimension Sense: Shifters are innately attuned to dimensions and dimensional energies. After only a few moments of concentration (typically 1d6+2 minutes), a Shifter is able to tell the type of dimension (whether it's an Infinite, Parallel, or a Pocket Dimension), how dense the dimensional fabric is (weak, permeable, strong or impenetrable), if the dimension or world can support human life, whether it is rich or poor in magic, artificially created (like a Pocket Dimension of a dragon or a god), and any type of unusual characteristics of the dimension that might be evident, all just by "reading" a connecting Rift/dimensional portal linked to that dimension or by meditating shortly after arriving to a new world. Base Skill: 35% +5% per level of experience. If the Shifter is not initially successful on either type of reading, he can try again 24 hours later or after he sets foot in the place.

Furthermore, when reading a dimensional portal, the Shifter will get a sense if the Rift will soon close, if it was opened deliberately or is a random occurrence, and if random, how frequently it opens to this particular world (often, seldom, rarely). he can also sense any dimensional anomalies that may be attached to the portal and if any dimension spanning monsters or demons are presently in or near the Rift. This information, however, is rolled separately under this Dimension Sense skill, and the player must indicate that his character is doing this aspect of the reading. The Shifter's success ratio is -10% from the base skill percentage.

Combat Note: Shifters can also use their Dimension Sense to detect when dimension type spells are cast. This can be a big edge in combat, especially when confronting another Shifter. First, a Dimension Sense must be rolled at the Shifter's normal skill level during combat. This uses up one melee attack as the mage momentarily opens himself up to the dimensional energies. A successful roll under the current Base Skill level means the Shifter will detect any dimension based magic (including Teleports, opening of portals, etc.) that occurs during that melee round, and if he sacrifices one melee attack per round, he can detect such magic in subsequent melee rounds for up to one minute per level of the Shifter.

If Dimension magic is detected, the Shifter who senses it can try to alter the course of the spell. For example: If another Shifter is trying to escape by creating a Dimensional Portal or Re-Open Gateway spell, the Shifter senses it and can try to redirect the magic by overriding it himself. This requires both mages to roll 1d20, high roll wins, defender wins ties. If the Shifter's roll is greater in this magical duel, he wins, and can alter it to close or lead someplace else, or remain open so he too can go through it. But to do any of that, he must also spend the same amount of PPE to override the dimensional magic and for the spell to do as he commands. In the case of a Teleport spell, he can have the person or object appear right in front of him, or at some other specific location (inside a vehicle, a prison cell, etc.), but not into solid matter or anything that could kill the mage. Note: The Shifter can never stop or cancel the dimensional magic, only change/redirect it. Each use of a magical redirection is the equivalent of casting a spell and uses up two melee attacks (and PPE). If the Shifter rolls low and fails to override the dimension magic, he spends half the PPE required to cast that spell and fails to change the outcome. Once the spell has been altered, it cannot be changed back. Remember, this overriding and control of magic only works on dimension based spells - spells that alter/warp space and/or time, or which open dimensional portals/provide dimensional travel - not any other types of spells or magic.

With that in mind, do you think that a dragon's Teleport counts as a spell for the purposes of a Shifter trying to redirect it? And if so, how much PPE should a Shifter have to pay in order to override the ability? 600 like Teleport: Superior, or some other amount?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Killer Cyborg
Priest

dragonfett wrote:

Ok, so I was finally able to sit down and read what the Shifter's Dimension Sense can do:

3. Dimension Sense: Shifters are innately attuned to dimensions and dimensional energies. After only a few moments of concentration (typically 1d6+2 minutes), a Shifter is able to tell the type of dimension (whether it's an Infinite, Parallel, or a Pocket Dimension), how dense the dimensional fabric is (weak, permeable, strong or impenetrable), if the dimension or world can support human life, whether it is rich or poor in magic, artificially created (like a Pocket Dimension of a dragon or a god), and any type of unusual characteristics of the dimension that might be evident, all just by "reading" a connecting Rift/dimensional portal linked to that dimension or by meditating shortly after arriving to a new world. Base Skill: 35% +5% per level of experience. If the Shifter is not initially successful on either type of reading, he can try again 24 hours later or after he sets foot in the place.

Furthermore, when reading a dimensional portal, the Shifter will get a sense if the Rift will soon close, if it was opened deliberately or is a random occurrence, and if random, how frequently it opens to this particular world (often, seldom, rarely). he can also sense any dimensional anomalies that may be attached to the portal and if any dimension spanning monsters or demons are presently in or near the Rift. This information, however, is rolled separately under this Dimension Sense skill, and the player must indicate that his character is doing this aspect of the reading. The Shifter's success ratio is -10% from the base skill percentage.

Combat Note: Shifters can also use their Dimension Sense to detect when dimension type spells are cast. This can be a big edge in combat, especially when confronting another Shifter. First, a Dimension Sense must be rolled at the Shifter's normal skill level during combat. This uses up one melee attack as the mage momentarily opens himself up to the dimensional energies. A successful roll under the current Base Skill level means the Shifter will detect any dimension based magic (including Teleports, opening of portals, etc.) that occurs during that melee round, and if he sacrifices one melee attack per round, he can detect such magic in subsequent melee rounds for up to one minute per level of the Shifter.

If Dimension magic is detected, the Shifter who senses it can try to alter the course of the spell. For example: If another Shifter is trying to escape by creating a Dimensional Portal or Re-Open Gateway spell, the Shifter senses it and can try to redirect the magic by overriding it himself. This requires both mages to roll 1d20, high roll wins, defender wins ties. If the Shifter's roll is greater in this magical duel, he wins, and can alter it to close or lead someplace else, or remain open so he too can go through it. But to do any of that, he must also spend the same amount of PPE to override the dimensional magic and for the spell to do as he commands. In the case of a Teleport spell, he can have the person or object appear right in front of him, or at some other specific location (inside a vehicle, a prison cell, etc.), but not into solid matter or anything that could kill the mage. Note: The Shifter can never stop or cancel the dimensional magic, only change/redirect it. Each use of a magical redirection is the equivalent of casting a spell and uses up two melee attacks (and PPE). If the Shifter rolls low and fails to override the dimension magic, he spends half the PPE required to cast that spell and fails to change the outcome. Once the spell has been altered, it cannot be changed back. Remember, this overriding and control of magic only works on dimension based spells - spells that alter/warp space and/or time, or which open dimensional portals/provide dimensional travel - not any other types of spells or magic.

With that in mind, do you think that a dragon's Teleport counts as a spell for the purposes of a Shifter trying to redirect it? And if so, how much PPE should a Shifter have to pay in order to override the ability? 600 like Teleport: Superior, or some other amount?

Sounds like it should be able to work. Not sure about the PPE cost.

Return to “Rifts®”