TW Air Sword

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tundro
Dungeon Crawler

TW Air Sword

Unread post by tundro »

I've been trying to come up with a spell chain that would allow me to make an air sword (basically concentrate air into a razor sharp edge). I want to add a thunderclap spell into it (pump a few more PPE into it to get that effect), but am having trouble finding spells that would create the sword in the first place. Anyone tried this or have some suggestions?
Last edited by tundro on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: TW Air Sword

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

No, have not tried it cause there are good energy sword spells in canon already.

Suggestions......1) make up a spell that lets you create "condensed air" objects. then work from there.
-------
Anime note: The anime Cutie Honey has a tech device that produce "condensed air" objects for the heroine.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Another idea (this would require negotiation with the GM) would be to use the Telekinesis spell as a foundation. Using similar principles to the TW TK guns, but instead it creates a blade of telekinetic force.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

wyrmraker wrote:Another idea (this would require negotiation with the GM) would be to use the Telekinesis spell as a foundation. Using similar principles to the TW TK guns, but instead it creates a blade of telekinetic force.

That's an idea...maybe even telekinesis with a Fingers of the Wind spell...using the telekinesis to shape the wind...might have to run with that. Thanks for the suggestion.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I am currently running a techno-wizard, so I am in practice on the theoretical usage of TW enhancements
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

You may need to break it down to have multiple functions. All spells listed are found in the Rifts: Book of Magic.

Options in no particular order for the "air blade" function:
-Techno-Wizardry that uses Lyn-Srial Cloud Magic (Rifts: New West) would be the place to start, but that requires the TW to work with a Lyn-Srial. They have a few Cloud Sword/weapons..., may or may not require additional spells in the chain (either regular or Cloud Magic)
-Techno-Wizardry that uses Elemental: Air Magic (other classes might have applicable spells) in the spell chain, but requires a TW to work with a Warlock. examples of spells that might help, "Cloud of Steam" and "Wind Blast"
-modify the TW-Flaming Sword to have an invisible blade (IIRC Palladium Fantasy has that as a "common" enchantment for magic weapons), so just add Invisibility: Simple to the spell chain.
-"Telekensis", "Wind Rush" (OR "Fingers of the Wind" OR "Wall of Wind"), may need something to add oomph to the hit ("Power Weapon" ex) depending on the wind spell used ("Wall of Wind" does do MD in the listing, but very weak, unlike the other wind spells mentioned here), may want to consult TW TK weapons to see if other spells might be applicable for the extra oomph. (Though this option is mentioned while composing this post)

The "Thunderstrike" feature should be a separate function, likely using "Thunderclap" as the primary spell, possibly a few others. Though if you are looking at using it for a ranged attack have "Thunderclap" as a secondary with "Call Lightning" (or "Electric Arc")
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

A Warlock seems like your best bet. I like Thundering Sword of Air Rending. Seems cool.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Recommend using the Air Warlock spell Wind Blast as a start. Then toss in some Telekinesis for good measure.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

All good suggestions...thanks for the help, guys.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

What about using the spell Lightblade as the base for the actual sword part and then add the wind elements as needed?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Off the top of my head:
Primary: Lightblade
Secondary: Telekinesis, Wind Rush, Energy Field, Electric Arc.

Description: The TW Hilt/device Focuses and contains the vicious winds of Windrush to replace Light as the element/energy of the sword blade, with the help of TK. Energy Field provides a core the wind swirls around, and that allows the weapon to parry. Electric Arc powers the process.

Effect: A Sword Blade of swirling wind focused to cut like a blade. The wind is constantly blowing for the duration of the blade, and can kick up loose particles like dust or sand if in close proximity, as well as disturb curtains, and other lose hanging items of a flexible nature, but again, only withing close proximity (an inch or two).

Damage: 1D4x10

PPE Cost: Do the math ;)

Adding an activatable Thunderclap would be a separate Spell Chain, should be easy enough to figure out on its own.

(The spell chain above is in relation to the RUE TW creation rules, I have not completed all calculations as per those rules, only come up with the chain).

Note: Other spells can be substituted for Wind Rush to create other specialize swords in a similar concept.

Other may not agree with how I see the TW creation rules, and thus disagree with the spell chain. That is their prerogative. But back when I was playing a TW this is how I would have done it.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Need to add in some spells that make music. Then, TW Air Guitar. Turn it up to 11 baby!

8]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

13eowulf wrote:Off the top of my head:
Primary: Lightblade
Secondary: Telekinesis, Wind Rush, Energy Field, Electric Arc.

Description: The TW Hilt/device Focuses and contains the vicious winds of Windrush to replace Light as the element/energy of the sword blade, with the help of TK. Energy Field provides a core the wind swirls around, and that allows the weapon to parry. Electric Arc powers the process.

Effect: A Sword Blade of swirling wind focused to cut like a blade. The wind is constantly blowing for the duration of the blade, and can kick up loose particles like dust or sand if in close proximity, as well as disturb curtains, and other lose hanging items of a flexible nature, but again, only withing close proximity (an inch or two).

Damage: 1D4x10

PPE Cost: Do the math ;)

Adding an activatable Thunderclap would be a separate Spell Chain, should be easy enough to figure out on its own.

(The spell chain above is in relation to the RUE TW creation rules, I have not completed all calculations as per those rules, only come up with the chain).

Note: Other spells can be substituted for Wind Rush to create other specialize swords in a similar concept.

Other may not agree with how I see the TW creation rules, and thus disagree with the spell chain. That is their prerogative. But back when I was playing a TW this is how I would have done it.

This is pretty close to what I would have done.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

I was glancing through Rifts: Book of Magic last night and crossed the TW section for anti-vampire gear. If the Water Sword/Daggers are anything to go by, you may only need 2 or 3 spells for the blade function: Telekinesis, a wind based spell, and possibly something to beef up the damage (Power Weapon?).
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

Have you looked at the Cloud Shaping spells in New West? It says those spells can be taught to anyone of a good alignment (or good at faking it)
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

nilgravity wrote:Have you looked at the Cloud Shaping spells in New West? It says those spells can be taught to anyone of a good alignment (or good at faking it)

Strictly speaking Clouds are not Air, but a mass of condensed water vapour.

Also there are Cloud Magic weapons independent of TW.

Further adding magics like that to TW complicates the process greatly, and greatly increases the cost. So if either Making or Buying neither really benefits from using speciality magics when invocations will do.

But that is just my opinion on the subject, as both a player of TW characters, and a GM.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Wall of Wind is a spell that does damage - if a TW focused and narrowed it I could see the damage increasing and the "area of effect" decreasing to that of a sword blade. I envision a hilt here with a fan blade built into the end. The user pumps in the P.P.E., the fan blade starts spinning, and within moments your concentrated vortex of air is formed. I really like the idea of this weapon.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Glistam wrote:Wall of Wind is a spell that does damage - if a TW focused and narrowed it I could see the damage increasing and the "area of effect" decreasing to that of a sword blade. I envision a hilt here with a fan blade built into the end. The user pumps in the P.P.E., the fan blade starts spinning, and within moments your concentrated vortex of air is formed. I really like the idea of this weapon.

This is what I was thinking about, as well. Not be truly invisible..maybe a slight distortion on the cutting edge of the blade...possibly even make a wind howling noise when activated. Still want to work the Thunderclap into it..pump a few more PPE into it for a secondary effect.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

I’ll throw in my 2 cents.

Although I love the lightblade, I wouldn’t use it as the base. Light is not air and there are enough air/wind spells out there to do the trick. Another thought is that a lot of spell casters and TW’s like to use impervious to energy and the lightblade would be stopped but air won’t.

I like the idea of bringing in a Warlock to cast Wind Blast into the TW sword. Lots of damage and even if the GM adjusts it down a notch or two, you still have a powerful weapon.

My spell chain would be: Wind Blast (Air Warlock needed), Thunderclap, TK and Mystic Fulcrum (I would add the Mystic Fulcrum because it “defies or tweaks the laws of physics” which would allow TK to work on air. The only TK that I know of that holds air is the TK force field and if that were the case, it would be the force field doing the cutting and not the air.)

I love the concept and there have been some great Ideas here. I just had to jump in.
We now return to our regularly scheduled madness......... :shock:
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Lightblade plus Invisibility would achieve what you are looking for.
As much as anyone might not want it to be energy, it has to be if you intend on inflicting MD. If it is just telekinetically contained air, then the driving force behind your damage is merely your arm. Unless you have SN PS, that isn't going to do Mega Damage - something more than your arm needs to take care of the damage component and an energy-based blade is the only way that I can think of off the top of my head.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Who says that the damage dealt by the sword had to be the same as the Lightblade spell. Use Lightblade as a base and then whatever wind spell to suit your need.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Giant2005
Knight

dragonfett wrote:Who says that the damage dealt by the sword had to be the same as the Lightblade spell. Use Lightblade as a base and then whatever wind spell to suit your need.

The damage doesn't have to be the same but there does have to be some kind of damage mechanism that isn't simply one's arm. You can't use wind as some kind of kinetic barrier and expect your arm to somehow inflict MD due to using a wind based kinetic barrier any more than you would expect your arm to inflict MD while using a kinetic barrier made of steel.
Something has to cause mega damage in the equation.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Giant2005 wrote:
dragonfett wrote:Who says that the damage dealt by the sword had to be the same as the Lightblade spell. Use Lightblade as a base and then whatever wind spell to suit your need.

The damage doesn't have to be the same but there does have to be some kind of damage mechanism that isn't simply one's arm. You can't use wind as some kind of kinetic barrier and expect your arm to somehow inflict MD due to using a wind based kinetic barrier any more than you would expect your arm to inflict MD while using a kinetic barrier made of steel.

You don't need to use Lightblade at all to get damage though.

There are Wind Spells that do damage that have been previously mentioned.

Telekensis Spell could be another source to cause damage, even though it is a low damage spell when used in TW TK devices it is known to do MD, even though all the spells involved are only SDC damage even as far back as the RMB (and still do in RUE).
Giant2005
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:

Telekensis Spell could be another source to cause damage, even though it is a low damage spell when used in TW TK devices it is known to do MD, even though all the spells involved are only SDC damage even as far back as the RMB (and still do in RUE).

Those spells inflict MD due to the force in which they hit something. In a blade, the force in which they hit something is limited by how hard someone swings their arm.
That is if what I have in my mind is the same as what the OP has imagined in his. The only way such spells would be exerting more force than what his arm would naturally do, is if the weapon was pretty much a gun that looked like a sword.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Maybe a wind hammer or other blunt object instead?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Giant2005 wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:

Those spells inflict MD due to the force in which they hit something. In a blade, the force in which they hit something is limited by how hard someone swings their arm.
That is if what I have in my mind is the same as what the OP has imagined in his. The only way such spells would be exerting more force than what his arm would naturally do, is if the weapon was pretty much a gun that looked like a sword.

In truth, I had less of a "force of the sword hitting" and more of a "hot knife through butter" idea in mind. Basically, the cutting edge being sharp enough cut through MD material(sharp at the molecular level), instead of having some sort of "energy" causing the damage. Just kind of what I had running through my head when I thought of it.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

tundro wrote:
In truth, I had less of a "force of the sword hitting" and more of a "hot knife through butter" idea in mind. Basically, the cutting edge being sharp enough cut through MD material(sharp at the molecular level), instead of having some sort of "energy" causing the damage. Just kind of what I had running through my head when I thought of it.

The words are pretty.

But....

Sharpness has nothing to do with whether or not the thing can damage MDC.

Energy, Magic, and Psi are the things that let a blade cut MDC.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
tundro wrote:

The words are pretty.

But....

Beat me to it. I'd also add supernatural strength if your blade is MD.

Back to the OP: It’s just a game. Go with what makes sense to you. I threw in what made sense to me. It’s supposed to be “magic” so it doesn’t have to follow real laws of physics or be logical. We’re playing in a “land of make-believe” so do whatever works best for your game. (I still like the concept. Hope you don’t mind if I steal it for use in a future campaign. :twisted: )
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

RiftJunkie wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
tundro wrote:

The words are pretty.

But....

Beat me to it. I'd also add supernatural strength if your blade is MD.

Back to the OP: It’s just a game. Go with what makes sense to you. I threw in what made sense to me. It’s supposed to be “magic” so it doesn’t have to follow real laws of physics or be logical. We’re playing in a “land of make-believe” so do whatever works best for your game. (I still like the concept. Hope you don’t mind if I steal it for use in a future campaign. :twisted: )

Not at all. Glad you liked the concept. :)

p.s. No to start a war or anything, but vibro blades cut MD material and are not energy, magic or psi. And being that this would be a techno wizard sword, it does have the magic angle going for it.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

bored and can't sleep... Giant2005 needs to expand his concept range for damage sources... perhaps some concept fluff will help...

TW Blade Fluff BS concept...

When sufficient P.P.E. is channeled into the handle a combination of Telekinetic forces and the Wind Rush spell gives form to a nearly invisible blade of magically enhanced air. This blade of air isn't static but actually rapidly rotating within the limits of the blade's form. The effect isn't unlike that that of the Coalition's Vibro-Blades with the rapidly moving vortexes causing damage to anything that touches the blade.

hope that makes sense.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Giant2005 wrote:Those spells inflict MD due to the force in which they hit something. In a blade, the force in which they hit something is limited by how hard someone swings their arm.

In a real blade the damage comes from the force behind the arm. However, we are talking magic swords here and physical strength is less of a factor.

The TWW-1050/TWW-1000 Water Dagger/Sword would seem to suggest that you don't need an actual damaging spell like Firebolt or Lightblade to cause damage since they only use "Create Water" and "Telekenisis". Damage is SDC, and the water "feels hard", so you could use TK to channel winds into a blade. Now these two weapons are intended to fight vampires (and those vulnerable to water) specifically, so are pretty useless otherwise (do minimal damage), but they certainly show that a hard hitting damage spell is not necessary to cause harm.

Return to “Rifts®”