Rank of Mages...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Rank of Mages...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Here is an idea, please tell me what you think:

The Common Mages...Anyone who is a practitioner of magic...Are the 0 ranking, unsupervised, mages, who have yet to prove themselves worthy to be recognized by a guild or house.

The Guild Mages...Get the benefits of being in a guild...Are the 1st rank. They report trouble to a guild representative on the counsel who can more or less petition the counsel for stuff if they see the need for it is great enough to justify it.

The Noble Mages...Any level of mage, their benefits are that of the guild mages, but the title is respected (rather like a knight's title) and is the 2nd rank. They have been so lucky to be recognized by a noble house. And represent that house. They report to the archmage of the town/city/district for either assignments, to petition the noble family for stuff, get paid, or to report trouble.

The Archmages...Are any mage, typically 7th level and up...they are the are 3RD rank, above the noble mage...They report to the Lord's Mages. They enjoy greater prestige and private tutoring in another mage class. They do work very hard.

The Lord's Mages...Are typically a multiclassed mages that are over the other mages in one domain that is controlled by the noble they serve. They report directly to the nobles.

The Viceroy Mages...Are the mages who have been a domain to run in a nobles name.

The Baron Mage...Have been granted a fiefdom of land, holdings, and a noble title of their own.

Yes, you can be promoted or demoted to any rank at anytime. Depending on how big your display is.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Rank of Mages...

Unread post by kiralon »

Its a good idea
I do something similar but call it circles, i.e. that's a 3rd circle mage etc, gives the players an idea of the level of the mage they are about to fight, or how much they need to pay in guild fees. Basically halve the level and that's the circle the mage is in.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

I don't know about nobles. But here are a few suggestions.

How about:
Associate/Student/Apprentice - This is for new mages level 0 to 4. You could divide these up into seperate titles
Practitioner/Journeyman/Evoker/Wizard - This would be for the average mage level 5-9. Again this could be one title or divided
Master-Wizard/Magus - This would be for elder and high level wizards level 10-14. These wizards would be on the leadship counsel
Arch-Mage/Elder Wizard - This is for the highest ranked member of the guild 15+. This would be the grand daddy leader of the guild. A lower level wizard could also hold this title.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I always liked the idea of
Apprentice/Student
Novice (still starting out)
Mage (okay your a real wizard)
Master Mage (you could teach, very competent)
Magus (You claim the title....and can hold it)
Arch Mage (judgment call....but generally its the other Arch Mages that will be doing the judging)
I, PERSONALLY, loathe any system that smacks of "in universe game speak"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

eliakon wrote:I always liked the idea of
Apprentice/Student
Arch Mage (judgment call....but generally its the other Arch Mages that will be doing the judging)

Love these....
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I like the systems both kiralon and eliakon mentioned.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

pblackcrow wrote:Here is an idea, please tell me what you think:

The Common Mages...Anyone who is a practitioner of magic...Are the 0 ranking, unsupervised, mages, who have yet to prove themselves worthy to be recognized by a guild or house.

The Guild Mages...Get the benefits of being in a guild...Are the 1st rank. They report trouble to a guild representative on the counsel who can more or less petition the counsel for stuff if they see the need for it is great enough to justify it.

The Noble Mages...Any level of mage, their benefits are that of the guild mages, but the title is respected (rather like a knight's title) and is the 2nd rank. They have been so lucky to be recognized by a noble house. And represent that house. They report to the archmage of the town/city/district for either assignments, to petition the noble family for stuff, get paid, or to report trouble.

The Archmages...Are any mage, typically 7th level and up...they are the are 3RD rank, above the noble mage...They report to the Lord's Mages. They enjoy greater prestige and private tutoring in another mage class. They do work very hard.

The Lord's Mages...Are typically a multiclassed mages that are over the other mages in one domain that is controlled by the noble they serve. They report directly to the nobles.

The Viceroy Mages...Are the mages who have been a domain to run in a nobles name.

The Baron Mage...Have been granted a fiefdom of land, holdings, and a noble title of their own.

Yes, you can be promoted or demoted to any rank at anytime. Depending on how big your display is.
All of these are Descriptions of mages...not "ranks"

Eli has the ranking (as per experience) names that are better.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Apprentice/Student
I, PERSONALLY, loathe any system that smacks of "in universe game speak"

I like this one but I have one change I would suggest...
Lose any reference to the term mage. (since there are so many various occs already).

Apprentice (zero level)
Novice (roughly level 1-3)
Adept (roughly level 4-6)
Class Name (roughly level 7-9)
Master + class name (roughly level 10-12)
Arch + class name (roughly level 13+)

I say use the levels as a rough guide but allow for relative spell knowledge, general power levels, and prestige/fame to affect this. (a 10th level wizard that has never left the comforts of academia is not likely to have progressed beyond named rank. Whereas an 8th level adventuring Wizard may have obtained sufficient power and prestige to warrant the title of Master.)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:All of these are Descriptions of mages...not "ranks"

Then neither is page, squire, knight, etc. It is a social ranking or more appropriately a "title".
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

pblackcrow wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:All of these are Descriptions of mages...not "ranks"

Then neither is page, squire, knight, etc. It is a social ranking or more appropriately a "title".

Pages and squires are occupational names. Pages being "go'fers" and Squires being a knight's servant/apprentice.
Knight is a iffy thing...because it can be just a occupational name and it can be a Title of nobility. Though when used as an occupation name they were more what we think of being professional "Men-at-arms".
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
AZ_RUNE
Wanderer
Comment: An amateur practices 'til they get it right, a professional practices 'til they can't get it wrong. - Anon.

Unread post by AZ_RUNE »

zyanitevp wrote:
Apprentice/Student

Love these....

:arrow: Awesome!!!!!!!
An amateur practices 'til they get it right, a professional practices 'til they can't get it wrong. - Anon.
View my game based on the Heroic Realm of Regnum from Library of Bletherad at "Regnum, Paradise Lost",or even better, become a fan!! Winner Campaign of the Year 2014!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”