Lightning arc for TW weapons

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

StormSeeker
D-Bee

Lightning arc for TW weapons

Unread post by StormSeeker »

I just registered for these boards, but I've been doing a lot of reading over the last couple weeks.

It seems to me lightning arc would make an excellent spell base for a tw gun, yet I haven't seen anyone use it.

At 30 ppe, it's a little pricey, but for the number of shots you get out of it, it's way more cost efficient than power bolt or sub-particle acceleration. At 5th level, it would do 4D6+10 MD every attack for 5 melees. If I were to get off just one shot per melee I'm still looking at about 120 MD on average. If I don't need to dodge or parry, I could do 5 times that amount.

And for building it into a TW weapon, it uses a relatively cheap gem. Other than the fairly short range, I'm not seeing any reason it's not a go-to combat choice...or did I completely miss something?
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Lightning arc for TW weapons

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

StormSeeker wrote:I just registered for these boards, but I've been doing a lot of reading over the last couple weeks.

It seems to me lightning arc would make an excellent spell base for a tw gun, yet I haven't seen anyone use it.

At 30 ppe, it's a little pricey, but for the number of shots you get out of it, it's way more cost efficient than power bolt or sub-particle acceleration. At 5th level, it would do 4D6+10 MD every attack for 5 melees. If I were to get off just one shot per melee I'm still looking at about 120 MD on average. If I don't need to dodge or parry, I could do 5 times that amount.

And for building it into a TW weapon, it uses a relatively cheap gem. Other than the fairly short range, I'm not seeing any reason it's not a go-to combat choice...or did I completely miss something?

I agree, Lightning Arc is a much overlooked and under utilized spell. I use it as one of my main combat spells along with invincible armor.

I can't think of any good reason not to use Lightning Arc in a TW weapon except that TW weapons cast/release a spell when fired. In my opinion a talisman or ring that cast the spell onto the wearer would be a better choice.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I made a TW Particle Sword (based on Sub-Particle Acceleration and Light Blade spells) for one of my games that used Lightning Arc as a power source. I seem to recall that it's a common spell when used in that capacity, though my memory could be faulty. :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

StormSeeker wrote:I just registered for these boards, but I've been doing a lot of reading over the last couple weeks.

I took a look at Electric Arc a while back (weaker version of Lightning Arc, iirc):
viewtopic.php?p=890703#p890703
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Rifts®”