Hand-To-Hand: Commando

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Answer to Critical Death Blow

1.) The Critical Death Blow does triple damage, plus PS bonuses.
29%
2.) The Critical Death Blow gets quadruple damage, plus PS bonuses.
No votes
3.) The Critical Death Blow does triple damage, but does not receive PS bonuses.
No votes
4.) The Critical Death Blow does quadruple damage, but does not receive PS bonuses.
No votes
5.) The Critical Death Blow does not exist. The player must either select Critical Strike or Death Blow.
71%

Total votes: 14

Raze_7
Explorer
Comment: "The best offense is a good defense!" - Somebody unsuccessful.

Hand-To-Hand: Commando

Unread post by Raze_7 »

I was reading the eleventh world book, Coalition War Campaign, and I was reading up on the Hand-to-Hand: Commando Skill. In the leveling, it says:
9. Death Blow on natural 18-20

I understand what a death blow is, and I just read on, thinking, "Cool."
Then, at the last level, 15, it says:
15. Critical Strike on a natural 17-20.

I was thinking about this, when I realized that, if a player rolled anything higher than a 17 in hand-to-hand combat, they'd have a Critical Death Blow! What would this do?
I'm thinking of maybe three options, and leaning towards the first:

1.) The Death Blow does triple damage (3x dmg) (plus PS bonuses), as stated in Rifts: Ultimate Edition, because a Critical Critical Strike would do triple damage, and a Death Blow is just an insanely powerful Critical Strike.

2.) The Death Blow does quadruple damage (4x dmg), because it is more powerful than a Critical Strike, it gets PS bonuses, and has different effects, such as the prevention of bio-regeneration on MDC Beings for 1D4 hours, and different restrictions, such as it cannot strike through armor, and is not applicable to ranged weapons.

3.) The Death Blow and the Critical Strike are somehow mutually exclusive, so the player must pick one.

Also, is this skill applicable to 'bot/power armor hand-to-hand combat (one bot fights another bot) (assuming that the Death Blow is used as per instructions to strike the head/power supply with a called shot)?

For example:

A Wormwood Human player character (with the level 15 Commando) is fighting a Glitter Boy Side-Kick in hand-to-hand (lets assume that the human managed to surprise the Side-Kick, and was too close to an arsenal for the Side-Kick to fire his Kicker), and the player rolls an unmodified 19 (called shot to the power supply, as stated in the rules).

Would the Side-Kick take triple the damage of the attack, plus PS bonuses, or would it take quadruple damage, or just either the Critical Strike or the Death Blow?

Thanks for looking at this. Please comment below.
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"Holy fire burns a hell of a lot." -Chronicle

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

http://xkcd.com/1357/
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Hand-To-Hand: Commando

Unread post by Shark_Force »

iirc, the death blow doesn't just occur on those numbers, you have to specifically try for it, don't you?

i would say death blow is something different entirely, personally, and the critical strike wouldn't happen while doing a death blow.

that said, that's just an opinion. we will most likely never know how it was intended.
Mechghost
Explorer

Unread post by Mechghost »

IMO - Deathblow if using a called shot to head etc (in HTH) as written. Over-rides the regular Critical hit because its a conscious effort to make the Deathblow. Makes it easier for everyone involved.
"Did you find him?"
"Just the parts they didn't like..."
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Shark_Force wrote:iirc, the death blow doesn't just occur on those numbers, you have to specifically try for it, don't you?

i would say death blow is something different entirely, personally, and the critical strike wouldn't happen while doing a death blow.

that said, that's just an opinion. we will most likely never know how it was intended.

Correct. A death blow must be announced before rolling to strike, whereas the critical strike does not. Mechghost's answer, imo, seems to be how PB would intend the two to work.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Option 3. Death Blow would over-ride the Critical Strike, not stack, as has been pointed out.

I don't allow Death Blows on non-living things. I forget if that's canon or not.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Are we thinking Palladium has ever had a consistent stance whether to add PS or other damage bonuses before or after dice-doubling from criticals?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

they dont stack. Death Blow is just another one of those never use game mechanics because a regular strike is going to be more effective 15/20 rolls as opposed to a Death Blow which is only effective 1/20 rolls.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Kagashi wrote:they dont stack. Death Blow is just another one of those never use game mechanics because a regular strike is going to be more effective 15/20 rolls as opposed to a Death Blow which is only effective 1/20 rolls.

Not a long time ago when a death blow (as of Nightspawn 1st printing) was An automatic kill. The defender can try to roll. A successful roll reduces defenders SDC and HP to half.

RUE=NERF and not cool NERF guns but making cool guns NERFish.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Richardson
Wanderer

Unread post by Richardson »

Why zm I remembering that Death Blow and Crots are entirely different thing. Dom't you have to call a Death Blow before rolling and it is just a regular hit if you do not roll high enough?

More interestingly in Commando, doesn't it offer Auto Dodge at level 5? That's pretty awesome in and of itself.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

So, anyone there with a thing for goin' commando? :lol:
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

SolCannibal wrote:So, anyone there with a thing for goin' commando? :lol:

Yeah, I wish under starting equipment, the CS Commando specifically mentions that they get no underwear.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Kagashi wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:So, anyone there with a thing for goin' commando? :lol:

Yeah, I wish under starting equipment, the CS Commando specifically mentions that they get no underwear.

Where does it say they or any one in rifts starts with underwear. All of rifts is going commando judging by starting equipment. After all underwear is a comfort item that might not be made after an apocalypse.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

This one is worded weird.

Usually, a special attack has to be declared. Then it goes off on a successful strike, plus or minus the defender's rolls/options. When a number appears in front of an attack, then it goes off automatically on those rolls.

I've had two character with HTH commando, both in Heroes Unlimited, and never used the deathblow attacks, because I want beat the villians up to XP farm them (if they go to the hospital, then jail, then break out, then plot my death, followed by me kicking their asses again for more XP). Early in the first character's career, I declared no lethal attacks. Which was a suggestion from Wayne B. for the Heroes game. Since I never went back and changed that statement, deathblow never came up.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Rifts®”