Help Wanted ad response in Lazlo question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Help Wanted ad response in Lazlo question

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

What do you think the response to the following Help Wanted ad would be in Lazlo? Specifically how many mages do think would answer it in sY the first week or two? One of my players is running this ad and my first thought is she will get a lot of low level applicants. At least 10 the first week perhaps as many as a hundred eventually. Appreciate any feedback and thoughts.

HELP WANTED: Master Temporal Wizard seeks Mages for manufacturing talismans, amulets and scrolls. Starting compensation package value 1 million credits per year. Negotiable signing bonus of spell knowledge for minimum 1 year contract. Magical/psionic screening for intent to fulfill contract required on signing.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Help Wanted ad response in Lazlo question

Unread post by Glistam »

Hm. I'd say maybe something like 2D4x10 applicants in total may show up, but only 6d6 of them will qualify and/or pass the test. Maybe as many as 50% of them in the first week (1D4x10+10). I'd be more concerned about the magic guilds whose potential profits this ad and mages actions may cut into.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Glistam wrote:Hm. I'd say maybe something like 2D4x10 applicants in total may show up, but only 6d6 of them will qualify and/or pass the test. Maybe as many as 50% of them in the first week (1D4x10+10). I'd be more concerned about the magic guilds whose potential profits this ad and mages actions may cut into.

Thanks. I will read back over the info in the Rifter's on Lazlo. See if they mentioned any guilds that are monopolizing the market.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

One million per year? That is unbeleiveable pay. Screw low level applicants, assuming anyone beleived you'd pay that much and it wasn't a prank ad, you could hire high level applicants.

Most likely though, most would assume it's fake.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Richardson
Wanderer

Unread post by Richardson »

Also bandits, thieves, and con men. Announcing you have millions of credits and scrolls and spell books to plunder (to say nothing of the magic items and talismans) is an invitation to be burgled, mugged, kidnapped, or worse. Alter aura could still get them past the psychic screeners, as coud any form of hypnosis of the screeners or just flat out buying a corrupt screener. I can see this going in a lot of fun ways before any real work gets done on producing the desired.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Richardson wrote:Also bandits, thieves, and con men. Announcing you have millions of credits and scrolls and spell books to plunder (to say nothing of the magic items and talismans) is an invitation to be burgled, mugged, kidnapped, or worse. Alter aura could still get them past the psychic screeners, as coud any form of hypnosis of the screeners or just flat out buying a corrupt screener. I can see this going in a lot of fun ways before any real work gets done on producing the desired.

There were a few problems with false applicants but enforcement of the Falsifying Appications subject to Death. Also very hard to fake being able to cast spells.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

Falsifying a job application is punishable by death?!? I have problems believing the authorities in Lazlo would allow anyone who practices this in their city to be allowed to stay.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Mlp7029 wrote:
Richardson wrote:Also bandits, thieves, and con men. Announcing you have millions of credits and scrolls and spell books to plunder (to say nothing of the magic items and talismans) is an invitation to be burgled, mugged, kidnapped, or worse. Alter aura could still get them past the psychic screeners, as coud any form of hypnosis of the screeners or just flat out buying a corrupt screener. I can see this going in a lot of fun ways before any real work gets done on producing the desired.

There were a few problems with false applicants but enforcement of the Falsifying Appications subject to Death. Also very hard to fake being able to cast spells.

Uhh, how the heck can you enforce that without lazlo's law enforcement coming down like a hammer? They have one of the most ethical law systems in Rifts.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mlp7029 wrote:

Uhh, how the heck can you enforce that without lazlo's law enforcement coming down like a hammer? They have one of the most ethical law systems in Rifts.

The applicants died in combat with the owner while attempting to steal from him after being duly warned to leave the grounds or face enforcement of their employment contract. A security guard was killed during the attempt by the thieves.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Mlp7029 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mlp7029 wrote:

The applicants died in combat with the owner while attempting to steal from him after being duly warned to leave the grounds or face enforcement of their employment contract. A security guard was killed during the attempt by the thieves.

Do you really think they would buy that? You have a very permitting GM...

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:One million per year? That is unbeleiveable pay. Screw low level applicants, assuming anyone beleived you'd pay that much and it wasn't a prank ad, you could hire high level applicants.

Seconded.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

Mlp7029 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mlp7029 wrote:

I'm quite positive the Lazlo PD would have enough powerful psychics to determine what actually happened, leading to the arrest and execution of the player character for first degree murder. Lazlo isn't some wild frontier town, it's an advanced civilization. I assume the character in question has a Diabolic alignment?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:One million per year? That is unbeleiveable pay. Screw low level applicants, assuming anyone beleived you'd pay that much and it wasn't a prank ad, you could hire high level applicants.

Seconded.

Thirded.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

The character in question is heading toward an evil alignment if she does not show a little more regard for killing. However she did not execute any NPCs. During the NPC's orientation they are briefed on the potential for injury or death if they harm someone on the premise. Two NPCs were caught breaking into the Talisman storage vault and when ordered to surrender by the security guard they killed the guard instead of surrending.

Return to “Rifts®”