"Enhancing" a psychic

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lao Tzume
Explorer

"Enhancing" a psychic

Unread post by Lao Tzume »

So, let's say you have a Mind Melter.

Let's say you (as a GM) wanted to eventually build him up, overtime, with loot.
What would you give him?
I'm thinking stuff like the Psi-Booster stone in Wormwood (in my games Wormwood stuff works off Wormwood), Psy-implants, The Psychic booster helmet in Phaseworld, Bioborg stuff etc.

I'm sure there are tons of things I'm missing. What sort of stuff?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: "Enhancing" a psychic

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Depends on how you want to enhance him, and what you're willing to sacrifice, too. I think the Noro Psychic power armor would be a good option, as well as a lot of the stuff out of South America 2 that deals with Amaki Tech. Or you might give him a ton of TW items that lets him use ISP to fuel magic, giving him another angle he can attack from.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

1) I am a Munchkin.

I would ask for Partial Bionic Conversion and a Psi Helm. This effectively negates the Bionic penalties to my Psionics.

Then what ever Sensor system I could find to enhance my combat bonuses.

Eye Particle Beams seem good.
Bionic Firebreath. Also good.
Two Mekanikal Cutter Weapon/Utility arms.

Add a setting limited flight system and your good.
I personally would load the frame with phase world tech like Contra gravity flight and Nanoregeneration.
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

TW equipment. Your super-psi now also has magic.

There's some crystal magic psi stuff in a Palladium Fantasy supplement. I forget which one. :(

Gizmoteer stuff (and some other things) from South America.

Force-fields.

If you have a psi-tech instead of a mind melter, and the player was ambitious enough, you could keep putting pieces of vehicles/robots in front of her until she builds her own drone army (psi-tech in a Naruni drone controller bot thing? Please take my money).
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Jorick wrote:TW equipment. Your super-psi now also has magic.

There's some crystal magic psi stuff in a Palladium Fantasy supplement. I forget which one. :(

Island at the Edge of the World. Being a 1e supplement, it would need some conversion work.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Lao Tzume
Explorer

Thanks guys! These are all great starts. I appreciate it! Anyone comes up with other ideas I would love to hear them!
Essentially if you were playing a Psychic what sort of item wishlist would you have? That's another way of my stating my original post.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

The revised conversion books says psionics with hand to hand martial arts can take ninjas and superspies powers.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Riftmaker wrote:The revised conversion books says psionics with hand to hand martial arts can take ninjas and superspies powers.

That is a horrible option turning chi in to ISP.
With how chi combat works, it can lead to a broken concept.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Ideally.

A Partial Conversion Burster.
Psi booster implant.
Erupter Implant, Zapper powers 1-4.
Psi helm.
And as many built in Gizmos as possible.

Load the frame with Bionic munchy goodness and rely on my Psionics for the things I can't destroy using Bionic weapons.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Aside from the already mentioned TW items, you could look into adding
-- a Delphi Juicer conversion, which would grant more psionic power and physical bonuses
-- add some symbiotics from Atlantis

Those aren't normally combined with an existing Mind Melter, but GM fiat goes a long way.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Delphi Juicers.
I use the CB1 sdc Algor with this upgrade, then the revised Conversion book made my Psionic Frost Giant Female warriors noncanon.

Though I still use the "Snow Foxes" as npcs.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Find a way to get a Gene-Splicer to augment you.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Robot minions.
Perhaps he used his psi powers to brain wash some minions.

Without knowing what he is up against it would be hard to say what to add to make it hard fight that would not kill the party.

There is a helmet from Phaseworld and PA that effectively double the isp and provide a pool of ISP.

Phase shields can make fights annoying.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

Millennium tree items are always great loot.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

What psychic "enhancing" really depends on what what they might see as acceptable and not acceptable, along with background. Just looking at enhancing psychic ability itself (some mentioned previously here).

Equipment wise:
-Psylite based gear (DB2 Noro PA, Noro Helmet, Noro weapons, there is another manufacturer that uses it for weapons in a later Dimension book forget the name off-hand)
-Mind Werks (SB3) and Psycape (WB12) both have various types of psychic implants, some of which may not be applicable for a starting psychic
-Gizmoteer-type TW items (Gizmoteers are not the only source, WB12 and WB1 mention similar classes, but do not flesh them out)
-The TW Caliber-X (IIRC the name) in England (WB3), there might be other copies IINM or variations on the technology
-Crystal Technology (Palladium Fantasy 1E Island at the Edge of th World)
-Rune Weapons w/a psychic slant (those that pick from Psychic power category) to augment
-Psi-Interrogator or Psionic Rod/Scepter (WB2, Bio-Wizard Weapon) offer psychic powers, which means you can have powers not in your selection early (and they use their own ISP pool)

Elixours (drinks and drugs and potions), which require an ability to restock:
-Psi-Cola (WB12)
-Enhancer & Lightning Nector (WB6 pg144)
-Psike-E (WB5 pg178), not to be confused with Psike-B (pg177-8)
-Black Hellebore (BoM/WB3) for easier saves vs psychic attacks of others
-Lavaryta Psi-Strength (PF2E main book pg267), rare, boost ISP and Psionic Level, does have heavy side effects

Partners (symbiotes, parasites and mounts):
-Psymbiote (WB12), requires acting as a host
-Dragoncat (WB12), requires bonding. When mounted get bonuses, but the DC also has powers to augment your own available powers, two act as one
-Zembahk (WB2 and WB21, 21 has Bio-borg part, WB2 has Bio-Wizard weapons and the creature itself)
-The Psychic Vapor (WB21)
-Mind-Blossom (WB21), may not be attractive
-Brain Helmet (WB21), may not be attractive
-Talo Mind Worms (WB2)
-Mindlink (WB2), ISP boost
-Brain Feeder (WB2), short term gain long term not so much (want to get it out soon)
-Blood Lizard (WB9), maybe bonded
-Gene Splicers/Tech might be able to further augment you (though both come with some risk)

Might also want to look at getting an expanded power list, because IIRC eventually you can run out of powers to select. This might mean being able to select powers normally restricted to certain classes/races, importing powers from other lines, or be able to "upgrade" powers by selecting them again (need rules to cover the "upgrade" results).
Lao Tzume
Explorer

ShadowLogan wrote:What psychic "enhancing" really depends on what what they might see as acceptable and not acceptable, along with background. Just looking at enhancing psychic ability itself (some mentioned previously here).

Equipment wise:
-Psylite based gear (DB2 Noro PA, Noro Helmet, Noro weapons, there is another manufacturer that uses it for weapons in a later Dimension book forget the name off-hand)
-Mind Werks (SB3) and Psycape (WB12) both have various types of psychic implants, some of which may not be applicable for a starting psychic
-Gizmoteer-type TW items (Gizmoteers are not the only source, WB12 and WB1 mention similar classes, but do not flesh them out)
-The TW Caliber-X (IIRC the name) in England (WB3), there might be other copies IINM or variations on the technology
-Crystal Technology (Palladium Fantasy 1E Island at the Edge of th World)
-Rune Weapons w/a psychic slant (those that pick from Psychic power category) to augment
-Psi-Interrogator or Psionic Rod/Scepter (WB2, Bio-Wizard Weapon) offer psychic powers, which means you can have powers not in your selection early (and they use their own ISP pool)

Elixours (drinks and drugs and potions), which require an ability to restock:
-Psi-Cola (WB12)
-Enhancer & Lightning Nector (WB6 pg144)
-Psike-E (WB5 pg178), not to be confused with Psike-B (pg177-8)
-Black Hellebore (BoM/WB3) for easier saves vs psychic attacks of others
-Lavaryta Psi-Strength (PF2E main book pg267), rare, boost ISP and Psionic Level, does have heavy side effects

Partners (symbiotes, parasites and mounts):
-Psymbiote (WB12), requires acting as a host
-Dragoncat (WB12), requires bonding. When mounted get bonuses, but the DC also has powers to augment your own available powers, two act as one
-Zembahk (WB2 and WB21, 21 has Bio-borg part, WB2 has Bio-Wizard weapons and the creature itself)
-The Psychic Vapor (WB21)
-Mind-Blossom (WB21), may not be attractive
-Brain Helmet (WB21), may not be attractive
-Talo Mind Worms (WB2)
-Mindlink (WB2), ISP boost
-Brain Feeder (WB2), short term gain long term not so much (want to get it out soon)
-Blood Lizard (WB9), maybe bonded
-Gene Splicers/Tech might be able to further augment you (though both come with some risk)

Might also want to look at getting an expanded power list, because IIRC eventually you can run out of powers to select. This might mean being able to select powers normally restricted to certain classes/races, importing powers from other lines, or be able to "upgrade" powers by selecting them again (need rules to cover the "upgrade" results).

Oooo. This is good. Gives me tons to work with. Thank you very much!

Yeah, I think there is a Rifter that has more psychic powers. The one with the Teke Freak and what not.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

About that Noro helmet that halves ISP...

If you find some way to grow a second head, can you wear two of them to spend 1/4 ?
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

*No Throwing things at me please*

Psionic power category+Mega Hero.
To create a....

Mega Phase Mystic.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Immortality-Regenration would come in handy if someone Anti-Phase'd you to sever your limb during use of displacement.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Tremendous Sdc, bumps the Mdc way up.
And Awe Factor, sacrifice attribute points to rock a 16hf.

Achilles Heel: God syndrome, because this is munching And I don't want a real weakness. Lol
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Paratee from Three Galaxies.

Asylum exposure from Atlantis, with the alignment change.

Rune Weapons.

Oni Ninja powers/training.

Phase Adept/Mystic powers/training.

Psyscape bonus powers.

A bit different, but one of the PF books had a ring that gave the Beast Master powers. Might be a fun add on similar to a Psistalker.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Rifts®”