"Traditional" Playable Monster Races

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Richardson
Wanderer

"Traditional" Playable Monster Races

Unread post by Richardson »

So I know Conversion Book 1 has a few monster and demihuman races from Palladium Fantasy in it, but are there others? If I had a player who wanted to be a gnoll or kobold instead of the D-Bees of NA monsters where could my group find the stats?
dragonfett
Knight

Re: "Traditional" Playable Monster Races

Unread post by dragonfett »

Palladium Fantasy RPG should have them.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Kobolds are in the Palladium FRPG. I think there's a sort of hyena-person in Thundercloud Galaxy. You could also build one with the mutant animal rules from After the Bomb.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Richardson wrote:So I know Conversion Book 1 has a few monster and demihuman races from Palladium Fantasy in it, but are there others? If I had a player who wanted to be a gnoll or kobold instead of the D-Bees of NA monsters where could my group find the stats?

Gnolls are a D&D thing; there's no explicit gnoll in Palladium, though there may be something similar (you might use a Coyle, for example, which is more of a coyote-person than the Wolfen's wolf-person... or make a Wolfen, say he's from a race that looks like hyenas, and go on).

Palladium kobolds are not D&D kobolds. D&D kobolds are either lizard-like or dog-like, depending on your edition; Palladium kobolds are more in line with dark dwarves or competent goblins... small, wiry, and excellent smiths.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Bill wrote:Kobolds are in the Palladium FRPG. I think there's a sort of hyena-person in Thundercloud Galaxy. You could also build one with the mutant animal rules from After the Bomb.

Maybe even build them based on the Alien tables from PW/HU might also work or the human mutation tables (RMB, or Dinosaur Swamp) and pick the relevant traits.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

There are several versions of kobolds in fantasy and games and stories. So it appears a name applied to many different creatures. Depending on where you look the word can be defined as a spirit, a sprite, a gnome, a dwarf or goblin. Typically multiple ways in a dictionary entry. If you want traditional you have to explore the myth and how it evolved. It appears that some one on wiki may have done that, if you search for the meaning of Kobold. (If by traditional you mean D&D you are out of luck.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Land of the Damned for the PFRPG also has some good tables for generating SDC monster races which could be playable with a little GM discretion.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Yes, loads of stuff one can tinker and customize from, all depending on what exactly one means by "Traditional" Playable Monster Races...

For one example, the Dar'ota from Beyond the Supernatural were Palladium's "traditional" incubbi/succubi and used in a number of other places, until the setting buckled over to pop culture overload and we got the more run-of-the-mill "sexy people with bat wings or horns" kind in the Hades book, if memory tricks me not... so "traditional" can be kind of context-dependent. What tradition does one mean exactly? :P
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

SolCannibal wrote:Yes, loads of stuff one can tinker and customize from, all depending on what exactly one means by "Traditional" Playable Monster Races...

For one example, the Dar'ota from Beyond the Supernatural were Palladium's "traditional" incubbi/succubi and used in a number of other places, until the setting buckled over to pop culture overload and we got the more run-of-the-mill "sexy people with bat wings or horns" kind in the Hades book, if memory tricks me not... so "traditional" can be kind of context-dependent. What tradition does one mean exactly? :P

This is not the case; PFRPG had the sexy people version in 1st edition.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”