The Benefits of Ectoplasm over Telekinesis

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

The Benefits of Ectoplasm over Telekinesis

Unread post by Glistam »

I'm trying to understand what is so great about the Ectoplasm minor psychic power that a psychic would chose to take it over Telekinesis. Anyone have any thoughts in that regard? I read and re-read the psionic description of Ectoplasm and I'm constantly underwhelmed. Am I just missing something?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: The Benefits of Ectoplasm over Telekinesis

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Rifter 44 had an article I did about Telekinesis and Ectoplasm.

One of the big ones is a sense of touch; Telekinesis doesn't really have it, and requires LOS to operate. Ectoplasm has a sense of touch, and so doesn't necessarily require LOS.

In a lot of ways, it's still a distinctly inferior power, but it does have some real uses, and can add a nice creepy element to a character.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Being in a room without any objects to manipulate, maybe? I can punch someone with an ectoplasmic hand (however little it does) but in an empty room you can't TK what isn't present to throw at someone.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

There are several advantages.

1: it has fine tacticle sense and manipulation. TK does not. You cannot pick someone's pocket with TK, at all, you can with Ectoplasm
2: it does not require line of sight, making it possible to snake through under doors or through air vents to untie someone or manipulate something. Or again, like with picking pockets, use it to lift something up out of a container you cannot see inside
3: It can be used for distraction purposes in combat. especially in settings or areas where magic is uncommon, the sight of ectoplasm touching you is likely to freak people out, making them waste attacks trying to attack it or simply run rather than looking for you.
4: it can be shaped at will, yet retains physical properties and mass. this makes the power essentially a psychic toolkit. Hammer? Screwdriver? Lever? Wrench? virtually any simple tool can be replicated instantly with Ectoplasm.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The powers are used differently, or they should be.
When you want to chuck a rock at somebody without touching it, use TK.
When you want to freak people out at a seance by manifesting a ghostly replica of the dead loved one that the marks gave you a photo of, or you want a phantom arm to appear and try to strangle you so that you can make a show of overcoming the powerful demons that are holding the mark's loved ones' spirits hostage, then you use ectoplasm.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Ectoplasm is also useful if you want to blind an opponent.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Glitsam wrote:I'm trying to understand what is so great about the Ectoplasm minor psychic power that a psychic would chose to take it over Telekinesis. Anyone have any thoughts in that regard? I read and re-read the psionic description of Ectoplasm and I'm constantly underwhelmed. Am I just missing something?

The two main advantages, mechanically speaking, for Ectoplasm over Telekinesis (non-Super) are Range and Duration. (Though I do have to wonder if you could combine Ectoplasm limb and TK or TK-Punch/Accel-attack for increased range?).

Ectoplasm has double the duration of TK assuming both are taken at the same time. Potentially being more ISP efficient.

Initially TK has a range advantage over Ectoplasm, but as the psychic gains experience the range for Ectoplasm increases while TK remains static. Though again bright light can reduce the range of the Ectoplasm. However heavier loads on TK also see a range reduction. ISP efficiency is also potentially possible when factoring in multiple castings and relocating to get the same range. Basically a well experienced Ectoplasm user (Level 5+) can reach farther than non-Super TK user at any level.

Ectoplasm itself IMHO doesn't come across as being intended primarily as a TK substitute given that it has a PS of 4 with 1:1 carry/lift ratio. Though I suppose given they say it has a PS of 4, a GM could allow it to use the normal PS 1:2 Carry/Lift ratio instead of the 1:1 stated, which would make Ectoplasm potentially more ISP efficient for certain weights in LIFT situation.

Ectoplasm is also theoretically more versatile in what you can do with it. TK is pretty much limited to moving objects (or holding them in a different position). However Ectoplasm can be used to create items:
-which groups can see making it potentially more ISP efficient than using Hypnotic Suggestion if there is a group depending on what you want to suggest (and no pesky Saving Throws to worry about like with HS/ET)
-items should still be visible from beyond the range Ectoplasm can reach, so it can be used to alter assessments if you spot them first or suspect you will be noticed shortly (extra person, different type of person, equipment, etc)
-provide the equivalent of a "wax key" or "skeleton key" for mechanical locks potentially (GM's call, you fill the lock with solid ectoplasm such that it handles all the tumblers properly so that with a twist it unlocks)
-want to create deception when you psychically move an object by leaving hand/foot prints (such as not to lead back to you) so psychic powers are not suspected, or even so it doesn't appear to be the same person doing multiple things
-create "phantom" attacker type deceptions where you need visible evidence
-do some things that require that "substantive touch" that TK lacks to be satisfying (slap the guy from farther than you might normally be able to for example)
-its physical existence might also allow operation of controls that a TK force might not be able to manipulate properly (thus preventing it from working if say a sensor needs to detect both pressure and in the form of a hand print)
-if you saw something, but could not describe it verbally (whatever the reason) you could use Ectoplasm to create a rough (2-D or 3-D) "image", especially useful if you don't have suitable materials to work with (in which case you could probably do it manually w/o using TK)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Or for the short answer.
You wouldn't take one over the other anymore than you take a TIG welder over a MIG welder.
...they are both tools for doing things, and each one is going to better at some tasks and worse at other tasks than another tool that does a similar-but-not-quite-the-same job.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Would it be possible to apply holds or joint locks or entangles or disarms via ectoplasm? My instinct to dismiss their HtH due to low damage could be short-sighted.

Also, if someone had "House of Glass" then could damage be reflected at your ectoplasm instead of you?
Library Ogre

Axelmania wrote:Would it be possible to apply holds or joint locks or entangles or disarms via ectoplasm? My instinct to dismiss their HtH due to low damage could be short-sighted.

I would say it would be possible, yes.

Also, if someone had "House of Glass" then could damage be reflected at your ectoplasm instead of you?

Depends. My view of ectoplasm is that it is you, so the question becomes "can they target specific parts with House of Glass", which I would probably disallow.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Mark Hall wrote:
Axelmania wrote:Would it be possible to apply holds or joint locks or entangles or disarms via ectoplasm? My instinct to dismiss their HtH due to low damage could be short-sighted.

I would say it would be possible, yes.

I agree it would be possible, though I'm not sure about effectiveness.

Solid state Ectoplasm has a PS of 4, which might make it easy to breakout/ignore these options. I mean is someone with a PS of 4 and only able to do 1 point of damage in HTH, really going to reasonably be able to disarm or entangle someone with a PS of 10 or more? Or even produce a hold/joint lock since their strength would allow them to resist easily (yes I know its by PP attribute, speaking of which).

The ectoplasm doesn't really have a PP score provided either (I can't see using the Psychic's for this), so the defender/target would appear to have a potential advantage in the way the mechanics work. Unless they "trained" to, I'm not sure if I'd allow HTH bonuses for holds to apply either when making the action.

Axelmania wrote:Also, if someone had "House of Glass" then could damage be reflected at your ectoplasm instead of you?

as Mark saids, it depends. Though in my case, I'd apply damage to the same location if possible. So unless your ectoplasm (and you aren't an ecto-being) is targeted, I don't see House of Glass reflecting damage to another's ectoplasm if it isn't deployed.
Axelmania
Knight

Given that even people with PS3 could still perform these moves in Ninjas and Superspies, I don't see any reason to limit them here. Any GM rulings which incorporate PS concerns into these moves would of course be limited for Ecto as they would be for a weak person.

I agree no PP bonuses (giving an advantage to using your real limbs for people with high PP scores).

Whether HtH skills apply to ectoplasm is something I'm not sure about. On one hand, they are hands, but on the other hand, they're temporarily created hands and not your real ones.

Maybe it could be like space combat where you could in theory use HtH skills with ectoplasm but you would need to buy them a second time to reflect the additional training, and during that training period you would need to constantly be using the power and drained of ISP.
Library Ogre

I would be more inclined to treat them like a proficiency... rather than needing to buy your HTH again, you just buy the "weapon kata" that lets you do it with Ectoplasm.

All Palladium Articles
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Mark I don't see much difference in treating it like a proficiency over a second (non-stacking) HTH style unless one seeks to create "grades" of proficiency (like Basic, Expert, Assassin, etc) from a skill cost perspective they would work out to being 1 slot each (again assuming no upgrade path, or the skill type slot spent doesn't have an impact).
Library Ogre

ShadowLogan wrote:Mark I don't see much difference in treating it like a proficiency over a second (non-stacking) HTH style unless one seeks to create "grades" of proficiency (like Basic, Expert, Assassin, etc) from a skill cost perspective they would work out to being 1 slot each (again assuming no upgrade path, or the skill type slot spent doesn't have an impact).

It depends on the cost you're assigning hand to hand skills. In many cases, HtH Martial Arts costs 2-3 skills. Codifying it as a proficiency helps to clarify that it is a single skill slot, and not "Well, sure, you learned Hand to Hand Martial Arts, but what about Ectoplasm to Hand Martial Arts? That's six skills, total, buddy."

All Palladium Articles

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”