GM has a wild notion

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Deathknight69
Wanderer
Comment: I've been around since the dawn of time. Playing RPG's and havin' fun.

GM has a wild notion

Unread post by Deathknight69 »

Hey Gang,

My GM has a crazy idea for possibly incorporating BattleTech BattleMechs into Rifts. He doesn't use the web so I'm posting for him.

Anybody try this yet and if so, How'd you do it??

Thx in advance,

D69

:? :?
Last edited by Deathknight69 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathknight69
Wanderer

Re: GM has a wild notion

It helps if I can spell correctly, D'uh !!
DhAkael
Knight

Re: GM has a wild notoin

Unread post by DhAkael »

Deathknight69 wrote:Hey Gang,

My GM has a crazy idea for possibly incorporating BattleTech BattleMechs into Rifts. He doesn't use the web so I'm posting for him.

Thx in advance,

D69

Sadly I can not help you. Due to the facist nature of copyright law and I.P. "mineminemine"'ism, Palladium Books has a strict NO CONVERSIONS!!!! policy on this here website that they own.
But without making the lawyers salivate and the mods get out their mighty hammers of thread smashing, I can say "Yes" I have, and with mixed results.

Your GM would be better served just using the Destroids from the 2nd edition Macross saga book from the Robotech line (published conviently by Palladium Books; so they wouldn't even be making Kevin Siembiada have a rage fit doing so).
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

As DhK said there is a no conversion rule. Can't help you with that.

However, I can point you in the direction of the Robotech 2nd ed and Macross II gamebooks if what you want is "non-rifts" mecha to spice up things in your games.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:As DhK said there is a no conversion rule. Can't help you with that.

However, I can point you in the direction of the Robotech 2nd ed and Macross II gamebooks if what you want is "non-rifts" mecha to spice up things in your games.

I wouldn't rule out Robotech 1E either.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Deathknight69 wrote:Hey Gang,

Thx in advance,

D69

I have done it and frankly it works reasonably well.
with that said the first thing you need to decide is how tough you want the battletech units to be, in our conversion we had them being pretty tough but they are relatively slow compared to palladium units.
for example a dasher tops out at ~200kph with masc engaged, but will rapidly destroy its legs that way.
or to put it another way, a warhammer the battletech version of an Excalibur, tops out at ~64kpr, or roughly 40mph. on the other hand under one interpretation of its stats, it could more or less ignore the Excalibur firing at it, and when it fires its ppcs, has a better than 50% of OSK'ing the Excalibur with each PPC.
which considering the ppc's weigh 7 tons each, is not totally unreasonable.
the other thing that you might have to do is adjust the range of battletech weapons, because as listed the battletech ppc only has a 540m range vs the 2 mile range of the Excalibur's cannons
Primalzen
D-Bee

Unread post by Primalzen »

Done , too , most of the work has been done for you if use robotech,
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

As an alternative to adapting Battletech to Rifts, you can always just use the Battletech mech miniatures from the game as the mini's for your table top game if you have big mech fight going on. won't necessarily scale perfectly but it's not a bad option. There are enough battle tech mech designs that are close enough to some Rift's PA and RV's that it ought to work just fine.
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
Deathknight69
Wanderer

Ok, Thx for the input guys. Are there Robot Construction rules around somewhere ??
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:As DhK said there is a no conversion rule. Can't help you with that.

1eRT also as it has more mecha with Sentinels and the non HG mecha when PB was allowed to make up whatever.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Deathknight69 wrote:Ok, Thx for the input guys. Are there Robot Construction rules around somewhere ??

Rifts Source Book 1 (original or revised) has the Robot RCC. Its the closest you/ll find to Robot Construction rules, they are not the best though.

Heroes Unlimited (and one or more of its Aliens Sourcebooks I've read) also has a beefer version of the rules in Rifts Source Book 1, but you'll find similar limitations.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

HU and Rifts robot construction rules tend to favor human-sized or PA-sized robots rather than big battlefield juggernauts, so they're not ideal for big 'mech battle-design.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

I use Mekton Zeta Plus to make mecha but that is WILDLY more flexible than SB1, HU or even Battletech. Able to design everything in scale from a Micronaut to larger than Unicron.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Zer0 Kay wrote:I use Mekton Zeta Plus to make mecha but that is WILDLY more flexible than SB1, HU or even Battletech. Able to design everything in scale from a Micronaut to larger than Unicron.

Wot 'ee sed! WAAAAUGH!
-A-hem-
You just have to figure out what scale conversion to use between the two game systems for the RTgames damage system to PBooks system.

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

honestly there is so little in common between the game systems that converting them is very difficult.

my suggestion would be to just write up your own palladium stats to match the art, and not bother with actual conversion.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Deathknight69
Wanderer

Ok, Thx again guys.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

DhAkael wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:I use Mekton Zeta Plus to make mecha but that is WILDLY more flexible than SB1, HU or even Battletech. Able to design everything in scale from a Micronaut to larger than Unicron.

Wot 'ee sed! WAAAAUGH!
-A-hem-
You just have to figure out what scale conversion to use between the two game systems for the RTgames damage system to PBooks system.

No, NO WAAAAUGH greenskin. I'd say peace but you don't have that word in your lexicon... piece, but not peace and I don't want piece. So go now "little" green skin and Dakka, dakka over there.
:clown:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:honestly there is so little in common between the game systems that converting them is very difficult.

my suggestion would be to just write up your own palladium stats to match the art, and not bother with actual conversion.

Not really. You set a minimum and Maximum in Rifts then you divide the range by the number of... "steps" so you know for each "step" you get so many points.
Deathknight69
Wanderer

Ok Zer0 Kay; Would you care to comment further ?? PM maybe ??

Return to “Rifts®”