Spell Selection House Rule

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hell Hound
D-Bee

Spell Selection House Rule

Unread post by Hell Hound »

Howdy all,
Playing 1e. The spell selection on clerics and witches, etc, seems pretty limited - pick your spell and that's the one you're stuck with.
I'd like to give my players a selection to choose from that perhaps they need to pick from for that day. I suppose similar to wizards but a smaller selection to pick from.
Think it will work?
Do you run it RAW or house rule it?
TY.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Spell Selection House Rule

Unread post by kiralon »

I house ruled it and imported another well known system's magic for priests. Did a lot of editing for the spells but it works pretty good. Then left the rest of the class pretty much the same but removed access to the healing touch so healing spells had to be cast, but it also then allows the priest to cast spells of higher level than 5.
Hell Hound
D-Bee

Unread post by Hell Hound »

kiralon wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:23 pm I house ruled it and imported another well known system's magic for priests. Did a lot of editing for the spells but it works pretty good. Then left the rest of the class pretty much the same but removed access to the healing touch so healing spells had to be cast, but it also then allows the priest to cast spells of higher level than 5.
5e D&D?
Yeah. It's the lack of options that I find kinda monotonous. Having some choice really adds some depths and utility.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

lol 2nd, I still allow the players to play the books ones as is if they prefer as the after combat healing is way superior, but the variety of spells and the ability to get ones above level 5 is what they usually choose. Everything else is the same except the cleric cant cast 2 spells a round but otherwise still get the spell combat table, oh and dont get healing touch either of course.

I also did the same for wizard too, and called it a magus, and also use ppe like a wizard from 2nd ed palladium and call em a sorceror. I play a heavily house ruled 1st ed palladium. I can send some things through if you pm me your email address.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”