How many dimensions can a Vampire Intelligence operate in?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

How many dimensions can a Vampire Intelligence operate in?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Just what the question sounds like how many dimensions / worlds can a Vampire Intelligence operate on at the same time? Now all of my information is coming from Rifts WB 1 Vampire Kingdoms Revised. This seems to be the most complete information and is more up to date than what is in Nightbane or PFRPG but if you know the answer to these questions from those great I'll take it. From WB1 we know the following

a. A VI can only create 1 Master to start in a new dimension
b. Can only create 1 Master for every 1,000 secondary/wild
c. Can enter the world once there are 2,500 total vamps
d. If a VI is killed of the vamps from its lineage turn to dust
e. Forced abandonment sends the VI to another dimension destroying 80% of vamps and placing the rest in sleep until it returns

From this I have a few questions, if you have canon answers that is great just point me at them, otherwise I would love your opinions.

1. Can VI operate in multiple locations in a dimension? (Can a VI create a Master in Mexico and then after they have the required number of vamps create another in Africa, or a space station, or Mars?)
Spoiler:
Yes. My general feeling on this is that vamps can expand where they want on world or in a given dimension.
2. Can a VI operate in more than one dimension? Can a VI have an empire on a world in the Three galaxies but still have active vamps on Rifts Earth or Palladium Fantasy?) This question comes from the Vampires in PFRPG where it describes ancient secondary vamps in the Land of the Dammed but no VI.
Spoiler:
Yes. I think this is sort of clear in the section on Mass Extermination, WB1r, pg. 98 it mentions that if the connection is severed it is launched into another dimension that it has a link to. It also says that it can teleport from dimension to dimension under the VI description but it doesn't say what the results would be. To me this indicates they can be in several at once.
3. Can a VI leave a dimension for another through a regular rift and not cause the forced abandonment? (Could they create an empire on one world and then leave that one to go to another world and still leave that empire intact and growing?)
Spoiler:
Yes. It does not say so specifically but forced abandonment is very specific about how it is different than regular dimensional portal and that spell is listed among the VI's magic so I believe they can.
4. Most important of all, even if the answer to all of these is yes, would a VI do it? Does it get anything out of it?
Spoiler:
This is where I am not sure. VI's aren't empire builders like Splugorth so they might not care about vast inter-dimensional but they are a pestilence that likes to spread and a being that wants a certain degree of safety.

I see this coming down to the individual VI's temperament. If they are more animalistic then they probably have only one place with 1 or 2 backups. More strategically minded VI's are more likely to have multiple empires across several dimensions with a few masters spreading on other worlds[ within the same dimensions and across others./spoiler]
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: How many dimensions can a Vampire Intelligence operate in?

Unread post by Grazzik »

Yes x 4
VK Revised pg 31 wrote:The creatures can straddle three or four different dimensions by fragmenting their life essence and sending it to live in an alien world while other essences and its own physical body exist in another. The Vampire Intelligence can further divide its life force into an army of tiny fragments. Each fragment is an extension of the multi-dimensional Intelligence sent through a dimensional Rift or allowed to be summoned by a foolhardy practitioner of magic.
Described as a "monstrous, elemental being" who are masters at dimensional travel, presumably there is a plane of existence from which VIs come from - either just one plane or one per VI is the GMs choice since there is no info. They extend into physical dimensions through their avatars/familiars and essences, only to transport themselves when conditions are met. They can move around their dimensional holdings using Rifts, spells, or pyramids.

Bottom line, the reason the VI would spread itself across dimensions is to spread the pestilence that is its very being. Just like a virus - it's just what it does. No reason, no cost/benefit.

Theoretically, a powerful VI could have entire dimensions under its domination with blood farms and vamp "nurseries" the normal thing. Masters governing different planets, trying to ingratiate themselves with the senior vamp dignitaries during inspections. Planetary systems dedicated to supporting interdimensional espionage and outright invasion to propagate their undead god's power. Of course, any VI who makes a slip up through overreach and allows other VIs, Atlanteans, or Alien Intelligences to locate their bases of operations may end up being squashed. The potential for interdimensional space opera is immense... imagine what would happen if the Mechanoids invaded a Vampire dominated dimension and started killing off all the food stock...

The more dimensions a VI invades at any given time, the more enemies may collude to bring about the VI's downfall. Slow and steady would be their MO, but I don't see a limit to the number of dimensions over time with good planning. It's simply a matter of what everyone else across the multiverse is going to do about it.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: How many dimensions can a Vampire Intelligence operate in?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Thanks for the ideas. I have been working on a place that I wanted vampires, but it doesn't make sense for VIs to be there but wanted to see what others thought about it.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”