King Midas would have made a terrible proctologist.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: King Midas would have made a terrible proctologist.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well, the Arkhon stuff in South America 2 takes 1/2 damage from all energy weapons, but double damage from kinetics.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Odly enough apart from the metal thoes rings were made of in SOT1 and whatever it is that a Rune Weapon is made out of, have we seen many "Sci Fi/Fantasy metals in RIFTS?
冠双
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

The title of this thread made me think of Goldmember.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

In my Phase World saga, the PCs' ship has ablative armour: it takes half damage from all kinetic and explosive missile attacks.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Uh.... yeah.

Reactive.

that's it....
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Drakenred®™© wrote:Odly enough apart from the metal thoes rings were made of in SOT1 and whatever it is that a Rune Weapon is made out of, have we seen many "Sci Fi/Fantasy metals in RIFTS?

Xanthium, I believe. Oh, and it isn't a particular material that makes rune weapons indestructable. It is the bonding with a powerful living essence (muchin the same way the Devil's Gate became invulnerable). Heck, I think they can even be made out of stone...

Oh, there is the Thermo-kinetic armor from Naruni Wave 2. That stuff is pretty nifty, though I'm not sure if it qualifies as a metal. :-?
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
burgler81
Explorer

Unread post by burgler81 »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:
In my Phase World saga, the PCs' ship has ablative armour: it takes half damage from all kinetic and explosive missile attacks.

You mean reactive armor, which is designed to counteract the effects of anti-armor and explosve weapons. Ablative armor is designed as a defense against energy/beam weapons. ^_^

reactive armor is made of tiles, that after being hit have to be replaced.
And it's also very expensive and explosive which is why many countries don't used it.
devillin
Adventurer

Re: King Midas would have made a terrible proctologist.

Unread post by devillin »

Krytykyll Hytt wrote:Anyway, I was wondering if there was any other kind of special metal PAs like the Glitterboy that anyone else has created. We have laser resistance, but what about resistances to others? Plasma, ions, PBs? Kinetics? Magic(s)? Mages have resistances to everything, even that infernal impervious to energy ability. Power armors just get the laser resistance.

I like to use various armors and weapons from the Battlelords RPG. While most of the armors and weapons would be considered as SDC, many of the MDC considered armors have special properties like 1/2 damage from kinetic, corrosive, or plasma attacks. On the flip side, most that have a special immunity also have a weakness to something else. I did a conversion of some of the stuff from Lock-N-Load on my page, but the books have a lot more interesting things. I especially love some of the combat drones you can make.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

DaemonWard wrote:
Kurjak wrote:Or orichalcum, which according to myth was created on Atlantis?

This is what Wikipedia has to say about orichalcum:

Orichalcum is a legendary metal mentioned in several ancient writings, most notably the story of Atlantis as recounted in the Critias dialogue, recorded by Plato. According to Critias, orichalcum was considered second only to gold in value, and was found and mined in many parts of Atlantis in ancient times. By the time of Critias, however, it was known only by name. (Crit. 114E)

It is not known for certain what orichalcum was. Orichalcum (or Aurichalcum) literally means "gold copper," but the term derives from the Greek ορείχαλκος, oreichalkos (from όρος, oros, mountain and χαλκός, chalkos, copper or bronze). It is alternatively held to be a gold/copper alloy, a copper-tin or copper-zinc brass, or a metal no longer known to man.

In later years, "orichalcum" was used to describe chalcopyrite or brass. However, these are difficult to reconcile with the text of Critias, because he states that the metal was "only a name" by his time, while brass and chalkopyrite continued to be very important through the time of Plato until today. For that reason, other authors on the subject conclude that orichalcum is either the gold-copper alloy tumbaga, or a metal that is, in the words of Critias, "known only by name today, but was once more than a name."

I always thought platinum and titanium were good real world equivalents of extremely durable/valuable and extremely strong/light metals respectively.

As far as either of these metals being what was known as orichalcum it seems unlikely as titainum was not mined at all until recently and platinum is not copper-gold in color.

as to your second part yes both platinum and titanium ARE very valuable, but platinim is neither light nor strong...it is like gold in those regards, heavy and weak. Its actually very malluable and unreactive (doesn't tarnish) just like gold but unlike gold it is often used as a catalyst in other chemical reactions.
Titanium IS very light and very strong. It is often alloyed with aluminium as this alloy is much less expensive than pure titanium but retains much of the strenght and heat disapation properties of titanium.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

burgler81 wrote:reactive armor is made of tiles, that after being hit have to be replaced.
And it's also very expensive and explosive which is why many countries don't used it.

However, many countries do use it, including most people using soviet pattern gear and Isreal.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

the phaseworld books have

"Draygonhide" which is Armor coupled with Phase generators to take 1/10th damage vs lasers 1/2 vs other energy, and it's chromatic vs light.

Arkhons have Cerasteel
Federation of magic has Ironwood ( wood enchanted to be a steel)
Naruni Added Thermokinetic Armor
Underseas has koralite metal ( Aquatic mega coral)
A.U has Kisentite, which is Nigh invulnerable vs kinetics

AU also has thermolate which is highly resistant to temperature change

in the marvel universe there was Osmium ( which was an organic form of steel) Vibranium ( which was a sound absorbing metal ) Anti Metal ( a variant form of vibranium which melts metal ), indiru Metal ( Godly metal, Uru Metal ( Asgardian Metal). and so on

Warhammer has Chaos metal ( metal affected by Warp stone) Galvanite ( meteor metal , Mythril ( enchanted Silver/steel blend),

Various anime introduced Orga Metal (Organic metal that was responsive to psychic brain waves), Narq'i'dah metal ( heavy fusion material metal
impervious to common weapons), G-Cell metal ( Metal infected with the Devil gundam Regenerative/hive mind nanobots), and the ever popular Cold iron and Fey steel.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

DaemonWard wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
DaemonWard wrote:
I always thought platinum and titanium were good real world equivalents of extremely durable/valuable and extremely strong/light metals respectively.

As far as either of these metals being what was known as orichalcum it seems unlikely as titanium was not mined at all until recently and platinum is not copper-gold in color.

I never tried to imply that either one had anything to do with orichalcum.
Ah well it seemed to me that you were implying some connection to orichalcum as your statements directly followed the quote you posted with nothing to indicate that it was a seperate train of thought...such as saying "on a side note..." or some such. You just kinda went right into your seperate train of thought about the durability/value & strength/lightness of two known metals.
DaemonWard wrote:
Thinyser wrote:as to your second part yes both platinum and titanium ARE very valuable, but platinim is neither light nor strong...it is like gold in those regards, heavy and weak.

Note that I said respectively. I was attributing durability and value to platinum and strength and light weight to titanium. When I said platinum was durable, I was referring to it's extreme density, high melting point, and resistance to tarnishing and chemical attack rather than a high tensile strength.
And I was clarifying that they are BOTH very valuable and that platinum though nonreactive, is not, (in my opinion) "durable", while titanium is strong and light. It wasn't necessairly clarification for you but rather less informed readers.
DaemonWard wrote:Now that we have this cleared up can we move on? :)

a little testy arn't we? :-?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Warwolf wrote:Xanthium, I believe. Oh, and it isn't a particular material that makes rune weapons indestructable. It is the bonding with a powerful living essence (muchin the same way the Devil's Gate became invulnerable). Heck, I think they can even be made out of stone...

Oh man, now I have to make a Rune Weapon out of sugar-glass. :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

AzathothXy wrote:The title of this thread made me think of Goldmember.

It made me think someone had just had a terrible experience during a doctor's visit.

DaemonWard wrote:Well, this thread isn't what I expected... :?

But that is a good point to bring up.

Yes and yes.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Darn the threads all serious... :( I was going to say forget proctologist what about a gyno? :-?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:Darn the threads all serious... :( I was going to say forget proctologist what about a gyno? :-?
I prefer a Gyro to a Gyno but thats just me. . . .
冠双
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Qev wrote:Oh man, now I have to make a Rune Weapon out of sugar-glass. :lol:

Sorry to ruin your evil plot, but I believe it has to be stone or metal. :P

There's a thought though... a rune weapon made of pure Xanthium! :eek:

:-x :thwak: Bad munchkin! :thwak: Get out of my head! I scare myself sometimes. :frazz:
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Drakenred®™© wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Darn the threads all serious... :( I was going to say forget proctologist what about a gyno? :-?
I prefer a Gyro to a Gyno but thats just me. . . .

Well since I'm guessing your a guy I guess you'd have more use for a Gyro (and I assume you mean the sandwich not the stablizing device) than a Gyno... then again I hear most females don't 'like' them either.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Warwolf wrote:

:-x :thwak: Bad munchkin! :thwak: Get out of my head! I scare myself sometimes. :frazz:

Xanthium... isn't that from Synnabar or is it from Xanth? Where does it state that? Why can't it be made of sugar it is after all just carbon?
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

such sillyness
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jefffar wrote:
burgler81 wrote:reactive armor is made of tiles, that after being hit have to be replaced.

However, many countries do use it, including most people using soviet pattern gear and Isreal.

Don't forget the Britan and US and anyone else who uses a variant of Chobam essentially has Reactive armor built into it. The layer of cermic powder acts as both ablative and reactive armor in chobam. As reactive the when the armor is struck the powder is compressed when the layer is pierced it explodes outward negating the KE of the round. As ablative the cermic dust layer should disperse heat generated by energy/heat weapons fairly well.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Warwolf wrote:

Xanthium... isn't that from Synnabar or is it from Xanth? Where does it state that? Why can't it be made of sugar it is after all just carbon?
thats from Palladium Fantasy, its a Mages wet dream raw material
冠双

Return to “Rifts®”