Penalties for lack of regular maintenace?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hav0k
Wanderer

Unread post by Hav0k »

Very good point !!! :ok:

Well I like to use mechanical and electrical problems in a sorted way....

Radar does not work as it should, a light or two start flashing...

Every possible failure can be used, since a weapon jamming is as possible as the ejection system failing just when you need it :twisted:

But I think the idea is to give the characters hints with tiny little things like lights, temporary failures and such, before you actually say to them that the Veritech's arm is not bending the right way....
*OMNIA MUTANTUR*
-Hav0k-
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Penalties for lack of regular maintenace?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Zerebus wrote:What sort of penalties do you apply to mecha that aren't given regular tuneups in your games?

Most machines would break down on their own through regular use and combat stresses, afterall.

Heh. This would be a good way to make more players choose to be engineers or to at lest take mechanical skills...

I don't worry about it too much really, unless it has suffered sever combat damage.

I just say that MDC materials are infanityly more resitant to normal wear and tear then normal ones, and only heavy combat damage will impare it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

Isn't there a table you can use in Zentraedi Uprising regarding second-rate or 'pre-loved' mecha that haven't had the best maintenence?
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Zerebus wrote:
Corsarius wrote:Isn't there a table you can use in Zentraedi Uprising regarding second-rate or 'pre-loved' mecha that haven't had the best maintenence?

I am presently unable to find that table, but I'm more concerned with handling mechanical failures and wear and tear over the course of gameplay.

It's close to the end of the book (don't have it here with me at work!) just before the 'new weapons' section. It's fairly good. But yes, I agree there isn't a great deal regarding wear and tear. For example, how often can something be damaged and repaired before it must be replaced? We're dealing with pretty high-tech war machines here. Even a BME can't repair a Veritech's sensor suite with two bits of blu-tack and a wire coathanger. Look at the support today's war machines require after nearly every mission. Even the Soviets (re the yak-38 thread) who deliberately built rugged realised that regular maintenance was necessary. In their case, they made a large variety of their parts 'immediately replaceable' to be used by half-trained conscript mechanics who just need to unplug a part and plug in a new one. This philosophy may well work for the RDF and to a lesser extent the SC, but to the REF on Invid Earth such a philosophy is a liability.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Comrade Corsarius
Hero

I'll say it before anyone else does:

Duct tape is like the force.... it has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the universe together.

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Howsabout...infrequent use: 1% chance of a systems glitch per week without maintenance.
frequent use: 5% chance of a systems glitch per week without maintenance.
hard use: 5% per day without maintenance (for frequent/continuous use, or a flat cumulative 5% chance everytime the unit is used)
combat damage: +25%, +multiple systems
Severe combat damage +50%, +many systems
Critical combat damage +75%, +all systems

Feel free to fiddle with as much as possible. :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”