Macross (aka South Altair) Island

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Well...I believe the total population of Macross City was about 20-50k, so that's a city of covering about 100 square miles. The city, from what little I can remember covered less than 1/2 the island once you discount the SDF-1's carcass... :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the islands name is

South Italia

its size depends on the value you give the SDF-1

using the given robotech stats: SDF-1 is 3/4 miles, so the island would be about 1.5 miles on a side, for a area of 2.25 square miles. (seems kinda low.)

now using the city as a value to determain scale?

SDF-1 is 3 to 4 miles long, so the island would be 7 to 9 miles on a side, or 49 to 81 square miles. (a little closer, perhaps. the island seems to be of a fairly good size in the footage)

(by the way, in macross south Italia is in an island chain south of Bonin Is., in reality their is a decent sized chain of volcanic islands south of there.)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

glitterboy2098 wrote:the islands name is

South Italia

its size depends on the value you give the SDF-1

using the given robotech stats: SDF-1 is 3/4 miles, so the island would be about 1.5 miles on a side, for a area of 2.25 square miles. (seems kinda low.)

now using the city as a value to determain scale?

SDF-1 is 3 to 4 miles long, so the island would be 7 to 9 miles on a side, or 49 to 81 square miles. (a little closer, perhaps. the island seems to be of a fairly good size in the footage)

(by the way, in macross south Italia is in an island chain south of Bonin Is., in reality their is a decent sized chain of volcanic islands south of there.)

it may or may not have been based on the real island of Minami Iou Jima, suposedly their is a superficial resemalance to it. I belive its considered to be an active volcano and was not activly ocupied by the Japanise During WWII although they do clame it as part of their national teritory,
冠双
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Zerebus wrote:
AlexanderDeath wrote:70,000+ Civilians

Remember, we're following the Japanese standard for compact living spaces. Those 70,000 are packed in there like sardines.

except, that in the show their are plenty of wide open spaces. to fit 70,000 people in even with japanese living standards, that 3/4 mile fortress would have to be completely hollow.

and we know it has drives, weapons, control facilities, ect.

so 3 or 4 miles long works better there.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”