Leonard and Emerson what is there histroy

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Re: Leonard and Emerson what is there histroy

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Terry57x wrote:Leonard and Emerson what is there histroy ?
how they got were they are in the show?

I'm only going to use the Tv series as information for this post.

First off, the Southern Cross is mentioned in a newscast in To the Stars. Even if they were just begining combat operations, the organization itself (called The Southern Cross Group at the time) would have to have gotten put together at least 6 months before. That puts the creation of it sometime mid-2013. They are definitely an Anti-Zentraedi unit by the telecast as it mentions them finding a downed Zentraedi cruiser.

There are times when Leonard and Emerson talk to one another when you get the feeling they have known/worked together for a long time. Reference especially The Trap and Prelude to Battle. While it is true Leonard blusters alot, this is generally only around subordinates in what appears to be a motivational tactic as it seems to get results. Its also possible Leonard has a bit of a temper, though that is speculation that isnt truly supported in the show.

Alot of people claim that Dennis Brown was right that Leonard was simply trying to dispose of Emerson. I would point to the scene in The Hunters where it is Seward and Rudolf (Kreiger?) who actually say they are glad Leonard got Emerson out of their hair. Leonard never says one word in assent (or at all) during their 'confession'.

I would also point out the fact that General Leonard was ordered to prosecute the war by the Prime Minister of the United Earth Government. That means that the government is in control of the military, not the other way around. Where anyone got the idea that Leonard had siezed control of the government is beyond me.

We must also touch on Emerson's unprofessional behaviour throughout the series. It took the form of him trying to protect Bowie (reference Prelude to Battle and The Invid Connection), which was uncalled for in all cases. There was also his stubborn refusal to not question orders when given them (reference his diatribe over peacetalks and escalation of war in Clone Chamber).

In all truthfulness, Emerson appeared to be the most able field commander that Leonard had for fighting the war. Emerson did not have to lead battles personally and he did so, I feel, because he had a martyr complex. I would also point out that Leonard was in no position to be loved by his troops like Emerson. The series does not truly say how Leonard handled the news of the deaths of so many men in his service. His job was to wage the war to its fullest extent and he had to be dispassionate about it.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Re: Leonard and Emerson what is there histroy

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Zerebus wrote:Leonard = classic Shogun?
Emerson = exaggerated Yamamoto?

In the original Southern Cross, yes.

In Robotech Leonard is more like Patton and Emerson is more like Omar Bradley. At least at first glance....

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”