N.W.O . Book

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

I loved the NWO book for it's intense political angle. Blowing stuff up is great, but having to face down political games where there are no right answers and no matter what, you're never the good guy is great! It really makes you think and carefully concider you next move before you do it. I love that kind of game. The down side of the book was that it didn't spend enough space on the various factions and luminaries. More about the differant nations, tribes and enclaves of Africa would have been fantastic.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

The Artist Formerly wrote:I loved the NWO book for it's intense political angle. Blowing stuff up is great, but having to face down political games where there are no right answers and no matter what, you're never the good guy is great! It really makes you think and carefully concider you next move before you do it. I love that kind of game. The down side of the book was that it didn't spend enough space on the various factions and luminaries. More about the differant nations, tribes and enclaves of Africa would have been fantastic.

I HATED that stupido "Land carrier"

Seriously why the heck dint the RDF just fire ONE volly from one of its zentradi ships and reduce that thing to slag? Even the lightest zentradi scout could melt that thing in a min!
冠双
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Drakenred wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:I loved the NWO book for it's intense political angle. Blowing stuff up is great, but having to face down political games where there are no right answers and no matter what, you're never the good guy is great! It really makes you think and carefully concider you next move before you do it. I love that kind of game. The down side of the book was that it didn't spend enough space on the various factions and luminaries. More about the differant nations, tribes and enclaves of Africa would have been fantastic.

I HATED that stupido "Land carrier"

Seriously why the heck dint the RDF just fire ONE volly from one of its zentradi ships and reduce that thing to slag? Even the lightest zentradi scout could melt that thing in a min!

Easy, The RPG paints the UEG as weaker then its shown in the Series. The UEG cant control Earth, much less protect it form any outsiders... atleast if you go by the RPG.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:Easy, The RPG paints the UEG as weaker then its shown in the Series. The UEG cant control Earth, much less protect it form any outsiders... atleast if you go by the RPG.

Bang on.

Personally I find it makes the RPG more interesting if the UEG has to hang on by its fingernails.

Hence my passion for EBSIS gear.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Jefffar wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:Easy, The RPG paints the UEG as weaker then its shown in the Series. The UEG cant control Earth, much less protect it form any outsiders... atleast if you go by the RPG.

Bang on.

Personally I find it makes the RPG more interesting if the UEG has to hang on by its fingernails.

Its soo week a general in a 3rd world (even after the bombardment) can basicaly make a aircraftcarier that can somehow work on dry land(never mind the problem with something the size of a Aircraft carier using tracks with a 10tf/3m ground clearance can manuver overland)
冠双
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

Originally posted by Drakenred
Its soo week a general in a 3rd world (even after the bombardment) can basicaly make a aircraftcarier that can somehow work on dry land(never mind the problem with something the size of a Aircraft carier using tracks with a 10tf/3m ground clearance can manuver overland)

Yeah...
It so needed to be a "hover aircraft carrier"! :lol: :wink:
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I like the book in general. but the landship sucked. i would never have used it in any game. I would have let him steal one of the proto types of the GMU or such, giving him a moble base of operations while having a good back ground story.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

The Artist Formerly
Champion

Drakenred wrote:
Jefffar wrote:

Bang on.

So in a game world with 50 foot tall aliens who are geneticly similar to humans to be able to breed, magic flowers that can be turned into a power source to power reconfigureable fighter planes, humanities' greatest weapon being a pop singer with the intellect of a house plant, submercible aircraft carriers that can function in space and a Space Helicopter... and your big problem is the land ship?

Just think of it this way, "All my friends love a low rider." :D
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

The Artist Formerly wrote:So in a game world with 50 foot tall aliens who are geneticly similar to humans to be able to breed, magic flowers that can be turned into a power source to power reconfigureable fighter planes, humanities' greatest weapon being a pop singer with the intellect of a house plant, submercible aircraft carriers that can function in space and a Space Helicopter... and your big problem is the land ship?

Just think of it this way, "All my friends love a low rider." :D

Nothing Says Dana is a Fertile offspring... She could be as Fertile as My Mule... just becasue they can breed and make off spring means nothing...

as for the Greatest Weapon commment... your confusing Macross with Robotech... Minmay had little to do with the Earths victory... the SDF-1 barrier overload killing Dolza's fortress, the Million PLus Zent ships and the Grand Cannon had alot to do with the Victory.. minmay singing was a very small part of it. but in macross, she's a Magical girl...

And Space Helicopter? only in the RPG.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
The Artist Formerly
Champion

AlexanderDeath wrote:You realise the Japanese had submersible Aircraft launching subs during WWII dont you? So thats not totaly unthesable, and Hyunda/Toyota just released concepts for reconfigurable cars/vehicles at the Autoshow - not to mention our own military is working on "Phenumatic Powered Exoskeletons" as a prototype to further the study of robotic armor and vehicles to aid troops -

Not only did the Japanese, but so did the US, the Brits, the Germans and Italians. How well do you think they'd work in space?

As for the Zents, they are an "alien" techology, as is anything having to do with the flower of life... so from that standpoint I have to agree, that Land Carrier was not only an inane idea, it belongs in the anals of Gundam, not RT...

The land carrier is far from the wierdest or most outrageous thing in Robotech (that would Rick's hair), and that was my point. It's a game of make belive.

As for painting the RDF as weak... they do, and really, the game would move forward more, as would the story line, if even the PC's werent painted as Red Shirts. :-(
Every program needs Red Shirts.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

The "wild samurai" hair style that we see in most anime is just an affectation, yet another artist signature that, in theory, marks the difference between Japanese-style animation & Western 'cookie-cutter' cartoons. Besides, any hairstyle THAT big requires more hair-gel than five hairstylist competitions combined. :-?

NWO has it's moments. The protoype mecha is a definite bonus, and if you play them right, the NPCs can make the story as intregueing as a murder-mystery soap opera. But yes, the Land Carrier is a bit of an eye-sore, but come on, what about the dramatic effect this thing has, eh? (Think of the look on the faces of the Rohan Riders when they see the Oliphants during the Battle of Gondor in LotR-RotK.)
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Drakenred®™©
Champion

AlexanderDeath wrote:I wish my hands of ricks hair, LoL

Blink

SIGGED!
冠双
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Unread post by Lt. Holmes »

I think my favourite part of NWO is the idea of taking on ex/rogue elements of the RDF in a civil war setting. For the first time, human mecha was squaring off against human mecha, which would turn around and set the tone for ASC/EBSIS relations for the next decade or more.

The signature piece for this books has got to be the pictures on pages 98 and 100, a Gladiator blowing the crap out of a Gladiatior, and a Destroid squad wading through the wreckage of a VF-1J. Those two images alone totally set the tone and style for that book, and for once, the PCs might NOT have the moral highground, something that adds a totally new dimension to the otherwise super-heroic RDF-era story.

The author, Kevin Hassal, also went above and beyond the call of duity when it came to making the NPCs for this book. The Colonel in charge of Fort Victoria is one of the best NPCs ever in the fact that you can totally sympathize with the man, given the fact that he and his command are getting the shaft by the main baddie. Every time I read up on his bio, it makes me want to play the book and have that Colonel and his men just KICKING ASSES left and right, as they deserve.

NWO is an amazing book, through and through. Sure, the Landship is a stretch of the imagination, but the rest of the volume more than makes up for that. I really enjoy the hanging-on-by-the-fingernails feeling that the UWG gets. It adds more than enough tension AND it gives a little bridge between the First and Second Generation worlds given that the ASC is a fractured and competing patchwork of nations and baronies, which would be the world model for the next three decades until the end of the Invid Invasion; a far cry from the times when humanity moved and breathed with a common purpose.

All in all, I give this book 8.5 out of 10. And it earned every one of those points.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”