Rifts Citybooks

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Should there be Citybooks?

Yes, these would rock!
70%
No, we need more Worldbooks instead!
18%
No! Now get back in your box, Hystrix!
12%

Total votes: 50

Hystrix
Champion

Rifts Citybooks

Unread post by Hystrix »

OK here is the conscept:

A "Citybook" (I'm open to a better name if anyone has one) is a book (or series of books) that detail 5 or 6 cities. The usuall format would be one large (or even MEGA) city (like Quebec City, New Berlin, New Waukeegan), a mid-sized city (Like Kingsdale, or Cuidad Jarez ---yes, I know these have been done), and 3 or 4 small cities or towns (ranging in size from 10,000 to as little as 100). Now here is the catch: the cities will be taken from everwhere. For example, Rifts Citybook 1 might include:

1.) New Waukeegan (CS Mega-city)
2.) New Nurenburg (mid-sized NGR city)
3.) Negromeurte ("Black Death" a small vampire controlled town in Mexico)
4.) Johnsonville (a tiny wilderness town in Kansas, little more than a large trading post)
5.) Axon-gog (a small costal town on Atlantis, used primarily as a port for slave runs)
6.) Vodka (a small Russian town under the control of Warlord Romanov [sp?])

Something like that. There could be a series of them. Or they could even be in themes where every town descibed is in the same region. The point is that every town with be mapped (even the mega cities), described, given a regional map showing the cities location, population estimates, breakdowns, and adventure ideas.

What'd ya think?
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

need something to replace the old soucrebooks(which were nice)
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I voted for Hystrix to get back in the box.

In all seriousness, I think the idea of a Citybook isn't bad, but I just don't feel there needs to be yet another format of book: we have the Sourcebook, Megasourcebook, Worldbook, Dimension Book, Adventure Book, and that really ought to do the trick.
I would rather the Worldbooks give a good overview, focus on key points and places, and give us a little bit about a lot (in terms of cities).
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

I was going to say come out with a companion world books that flush out the cities in the original worldbooks but that's stupid. Maybe something like "The Cities of the New West" type thing.
The Phoenix is Coming!
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

I voted for Worldbooks instead. I have to agree, you could focus on cities within a worldbook...

But the concept is great. I'd love to see more info on the cities, whatever you call the books.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Yes, city books would be cool as long as we get them a good while before they are destroyed. :P
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Reverend wrote:Yes, city books would be cool as long as we get them a good while before they are destroyed. :P
yeah the here's tolkeen with the coalition attacking was a like mess up but since the coalition/tolkeen war hasnt started yet in my adventures it still good
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

I've been drawn several times to World Book 1 just for it's map of Ciudad Juarez and highlights of important places. Having somthing similar for other cities in Rifts would ROCK!!
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

I would not say no to a few books like that...
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Actually, after just skimming through Hudson City (got it just yesterday), I think City Books for the Rifts setting would be a great idea. Especially since it would allow for campaigns more easily set in a particular city. I think that this is an idea who's time has come... Now if only someone could talk Kev into doint this.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

City books could be like the adventure books. After all, there have been a few (such as Kingsdale) that are well fleshed out and have not been destroyed.

Why not freeze the timeline at 109pa or whatever it is now, and work on fleshing out what is there? I'd like to see the capital cities of the Colorado Baronies (someone mentioned a New West city book), as well as geographic-specific stuff? You can play without it, if you like, but the info, NPCs, characters, places, streets, etc would really give a 'living' feeling to the place. Also, it would make it good if you ever went to another gaming group because then you'd say 'oh, well, we were in New Rome last week and were fighting in the battles at the coleseum' and everyone would know what you meant, instead of 'you were where? doing what?'
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Zylo wrote:Isn't Merc Town essentially a city/adventure book? Or the 'Burbs books? I guess Palladium is already on the road to doing those City books is what I'm saying. Now, back in the box!

Not quite! While Merc Town is close, even that only describes one city! The Adventure books took 3 of 4 to describe only one burb. I'm talking about books that outline about 5 or 6 cities including at least one large city...
Last edited by Hystrix on Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Atramentus wrote:Chi-Town! Chi-Town! Chi-Town! Chi-Town! Chi-Town!

Actually I'd like to see something for the bulk of the state as well as the Fortress City itself. At one point I had myself convinced that there were 12 fortress cities in the state but only one was so famous, perhaps being the newest, best.

That's what these books would do. They'd describe major cities (along with minor ones) like New Waukegan...
Jmur
Wanderer

Unread post by Jmur »

Citybooks sounds good. Although you should've added an option in your poll. "Yes for citybooks, but, Hystrix get back in your box." :lol:
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Jmur wrote:Citybooks sounds good. Although you should've added an option in your poll. "Yes for citybooks, but, Hystrix get back in your box." :lol:

Mmm, yes, but I was hpeing that if it was a good idea the box wouldn't be an option! :D
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

*bump*
Sentinel
Palladin

Temporalmage wrote:I've been drawn several times to World Book 1 just for it's map of Ciudad Juarez and highlights of important places. Having somthing similar for other cities in Rifts would ROCK!!

World Book one was pretty well put together, whether or not you like vampires.

Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Sentinel wrote:
Temporalmage wrote:I've been drawn several times to World Book 1 just for it's map of Ciudad Juarez and highlights of important places. Having somthing similar for other cities in Rifts would ROCK!!

That's because of the detailed world information. That and Cuidad Jarez was a very well thought out and designed city... WE NEED CITY BOOKS!!!!
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

So 33 of 47 said they'd want City Books. Cool. I hope some PB staff sees this, :)

Also only 5 of 47 told me to get back in my box. That's better than last time :)
Sentinel
Palladin

Hystrix wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

That's because of the detailed world information. That and Cuidad Jarez was a very well thought out and designed city... WE NEED CITY BOOKS!!!!

I liked these things about World Book One:
No new OCCs. No "Vampire Hunter OCC" or any such nonsense.
The feeling of wilderness, frontier and undeveloped area was still there. It made it seem logical for the average person to stay put: there wasn't anywhere safe to go.
Good artwork.
Lots of details on vampires (which there should have been. Unlike the Old Ones with it's lack of info on the Old Ones).

Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

If done similar to the Adventure Books, the city book concept could work.

Return to “Rifts®”