I was wondering...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Pox
Dungeon Crawler

I was wondering...

Unread post by Pox »

The recent topic about the Coalition Navy got me looking through SB4 and one thing has always bothered me...

What the hell does the Chi-Town Class carrier look like?

There is 2 and 1/2 pages of text but no picture?

Even Kitsune hasn't even tackled this one yet...anyond got any input or idea why it wasn't covered?
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

They are probably still tyring to find away to put a really big skull on a carrier. :D
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Re: I was wondering...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Pox wrote:The recent topic about the Coalition Navy got me looking through SB4 and one thing has always bothered me...

What the hell does the Chi-Town Class carrier look like?

There is 2 and 1/2 pages of text but no picture?

Even Kitsune hasn't even tackled this one yet...anyond got any input or idea why it wasn't covered?
The information/visuals that you seek may be in Rifts: Coalition Navy, an admittedly somewhat hard-to-find Book (I'm not sure that they still have it in print).....
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

I have the Coalition Sourcebook in front of me, so that isn't the problem.

and The Christined Joseph Prosek Series are the refurbished American Empire Carriers that were the George Washington, the Ranger, and the Lexington with big skulls painted on them.

The Chi-Town Class is the 1/3 aircraft carrier, 1/3 battleship, and 1/3 amphib. carrier.

The thing has a massive, triple-barrelled turret that seems to dominate the bow deck of ship and has room inside for TWO Sky Lifter DHTs which I suppose are front to back though it would have been sweeter to have the boat wide enough to allow side by side.

The thing is a frickin' mystery and considering how important it will be to the CS in the future (It states that it will be replacing all the older ships in time...though that might be set back after the CS-QC conflict)
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

There are stats on the net for a Gibraltar class super carrier from macross/robotech (seen in the first few episodes).

It is listed as a 2nd generation Nimitz class.

Which is actully what the USS Ronald Regen techniclly is.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Zerebus wrote:
Pox wrote:though that might be set back after the CS-QC

I'd say there's a good chance that most of the CS navy has been irrevocably altered by virtue of that conflict resulting the sinking of nearly all the ships. Who knows how many aircraft carriers survived?

Which I never fully understood or maybe didn't read a miniscule paragraph somewhere but how the hell did that happen?

I know that FQ had the more experienced sailors, specialized borgs (Leviathans for one), and home turf (or surf as the case may be), but it just seemed odd to me that the CSN was whole-heartedly routed.

I guess it was another case of the "I just want to hamstring em instead of killing em" that that whole fricus was about. Neither side truly, in their (the soldiers, not the politicos) really wanted to be there.
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Zerebus wrote:Well, if the CS fleet ever massed for a single big battle... said single big battle could have ended in disaster by skilled FQ naval commanders outmaneuvering the CS.

So, would it be safe to say that, it was a combination of overconfidence in the CSN admirals in their new toys, lack of respect for the prowess and tech of the FQ navy, and half-hearted fighting that really screwed the CSN?

Or maybe...do you think the whole CSN whoopin' was a plot by KS to get rid of all that old Pre-Rifts ships so he wouldn't have to reprent those pictures of them again? (not the world's biggest DSS fan)
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

Pox wrote:I have the Coalition Sourcebook in front of me, so that isn't the problem.

and The Christined Joseph Prosek Series are the refurbished American Empire Carriers that were the George Washington, the Ranger, and the Lexington with big skulls painted on them.

The Chi-Town Class is the 1/3 aircraft carrier, 1/3 battleship, and 1/3 amphib. carrier.

The thing has a massive, triple-barrelled turret that seems to dominate the bow deck of ship and has room inside for TWO Sky Lifter DHTs which I suppose are front to back though it would have been sweeter to have the boat wide enough to allow side by side.

The thing is a frickin' mystery and considering how important it will be to the CS in the future (It states that it will be replacing all the older ships in time...though that might be set back after the CS-QC conflict)

I assume it would look vaguely like a Moskva class that the soviets fielded back in the '70s and '80s before the Kiev class aircraft-carrying cruisers got going.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
Pox wrote:I have the Coalition Sourcebook in front of me, so that isn't the problem.

I assume it would look vaguely like a Moskva class that the soviets fielded back in the '70s and '80s before the Kiev class aircraft-carrying cruisers got going.

Are you referring to this, CC?

http://home19.inet.tele.dk/airwing/ships/moskva.htm
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i think he got his russian ships mixed up. the Kiev class is pretty much the only carrier the soviets had.

http://home19.inet.tele.dk/airwing/ships/kiev.htm
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Rex
Wanderer
Comment: I'm back, I guess

Unread post by Rex »

And good riddance!

With that kind of firepower, as presented in SB4, the CS would effectively be able to wage war with Atlantis, the VK in Mexico, and the Lord of the Deep. All within the confines of the Mississippi.

Boomers in the Great Lakes?!? And the Naval Infantry? Naval Infantry? Will Patrick Nowak be making trips to Marine bases around the world to slap as many Marines in face as he can? :x

As far as projecting what ships will be able to do in the future, Pat did a fine job. But can someone else tell me a country that calls their equivalent to the Marine Corps naval infantry?

I'll give you a hint, we fought a cold war against them...

edit: I just wanted to point out that I have a few issues with this otherwise fine book. I really liked Queenston!
Rex, you are one helluva guy.
-Geronimo
never trust a man's post count... that's only an indication of his ability to write a lot of stuff - Svartalf
GP:5D6+502
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Zerebus wrote:It was my understanding that in Aftermath, the CS Navy is reported as being effectively sunk.

Correct. The Free Quebec Navy, which by all reports was far inferior in both numbers and firepower, effectivly sunk the CS navy. It will take them 5-7 years to rebuild, assuming they put effort in to that right after Tolkeen. Considering that they have other concerns, like rebuilding their ground forces, it is doubtful they will begin to rebuild their navy any time soon. Certainly not until they do some re-thinking on what exactly they did wrong.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

What about the CS airforce? I don't see many aircraft in the main book.

and does the CS have airships?
(MDC armored blimps would certainly be possible.)

:?
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i think he got his russian ships mixed up. the Kiev class is pretty much the only carrier the soviets had.

http://home19.inet.tele.dk/airwing/ships/kiev.htm

Another comment that was written about the Chi-Town class was that it didn't have any space for landing strips and that all aircraft would have to be either Helos or VTOLs.

So the Kiev wouldn't fit the bill, if they just spent the money to draw the dam thing...frustrating.

Return to “Rifts®”