My DHT layout

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Pox
Dungeon Crawler

My DHT layout

Unread post by Pox »

Wow...I haven't even started it yet and already hit a snag. I am looking at the picture of the DHT in the main book (pg. 200) and I always just assumed that there was a large (or at least two semi-large) cargo doors in the back.

As easy as it would make it for me...it just doesn't seem practical or realistic to have hydraulics that big though I guess it would be possible and now that I am looking at the picture and trying to see where everything needs to go...I doubt that the above is the case at all.

Now I am wondering if the lower jaw part of the Death's head drops and a ramp extends to "vomit" out troops. :shock: I am further believing this by that curved section that is hidden by the jaw and between the saucer section and that obvious hinge that is there.

I know that there are other pics that have sky cycles swarming out of the back of the DHT but it just doesn't seem plausible unless there are small doors in the back too.

Hopefully this thing will be fleshed out better in Ultimate because 2 paragraphs aren't cutting it for me.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Deaths Head Transport is cool looking. unfortuantly Kevin Seimbeida wasn't thinking of effecincy when he designed it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The Deaths Head Transport is cool looking. unfortuantly Kevin Seimbeida wasn't thinking of effecincy when he designed it.

That's one of the things I hope to solve as a man with entirely too much time on his hands...hopefully.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

yea. right now i'm going though all CS OCC's and filling out "missing" skills. such as the Elite RPA not having Pilot Robots and Power armor. also filling in "logcial" skills that an OCC should have to start with.

i'll be posting them when i'm done.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Rex
Wanderer
Comment: I'm back, I guess

Unread post by Rex »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:yea. right now i'm going though all CS OCC's and filling out "missing" skills. such as the Elite RPA not having Pilot Robots and Power armor. also filling in "logcial" skills that an OCC should have to start with.

Don't forget the Special Forces OCC not having Jetpack, despite the fact they are issued one with their body armor.
Rex, you are one helluva guy.
-Geronimo
never trust a man's post count... that's only an indication of his ability to write a lot of stuff - Svartalf
GP:5D6+502
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Rex wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:yea. right now i'm going though all CS OCC's and filling out "missing" skills. such as the Elite RPA not having Pilot Robots and Power armor. also filling in "logcial" skills that an OCC should have to start with.

Don't forget the Special Forces OCC not having Jetpack, despite the fact they are issued one with their body armor.

it's on my list.

actually when you break down, there is a LOT on my list :shock:

Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Well...I sorta have a cockpit / Deck 1 coming together but I need to move it to a bigger "sheet" of paper since the one that I started with got really small, REALLY fast.

Basically in the cockpit (which I located between the CR-51 Missle launchers), I have the pilot and copilot sharing a console with the two comm engineers on one side at their own large console and the weapon techs on the other side with an electrical room behind each bank. Outside of the cockpit area I put a small quarters and a small galley...I dont know where to put the mechanic shop for the tech engineers or power plants yet
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Just an update...I haven't given up on this, it's just my GF has been wanting to finish a few games lately and wanted me to help walk her through.

I am working on it right now and hopefully will have the top deck finished tonight...hopefully.
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Well...I sorta got the first deck done. I would've been able to do more or at least label the areas but it's late and my PhotoSuite is acting weird which is making things slow.

So here's what I have so far:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b168/Pox1/?action=view&current=CSDHT.jpg

Since it is not labeled I will go over what I have so far

1. Pilot's compartment with stations for Pilot, Co-Pilot, 2 gunners, and the 2 comm engineers.
1a. Off of both sides are electrical rooms for the technical crew to manage any avionic, communication, or tactical computer problems that may occur.
2. Connecting corridor with a small galley and crew quarters on either side.
3. Main corridor that wraps around the entire top deck.
3a. Elevator connecting to the deck below.
3b. On both sides of the pilot's compartment are accesses to the two medium missile launchers with redundant security doors
3c. 6 maintenance rooms for the CR-6T laser turrets (3 on each side) and hatches in the hallways to get into the crawlspace between decks
3d. On either side is sealable railing giving full view of the entire cargo area
4. Technical and Electrical workshop wrapping around elevator
4a. Closet with ladder to and battery for C-2000DH turret above and for entire deck.
4b. Private head
5. At the end of either side of the main corridor is the tech station for the rear rudder with it's own power battery.

I know some of the wording is off and it is kinda hard to see the thing on photobucket. I will retool the size once I get everything done and be willing to e-mail anybody who wants a better look.

I will have to fix a few things already since I had forgotten to include a head for the rest of the crew. I purposely didn't put a staircase in because anybody that needs to be on this deck...already is.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Re: My DHT layout

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Pox wrote:Wow...I haven't even started it yet and already hit a snag. I am looking at the picture of the DHT in the main book (pg. 200) and I always just assumed that there was a large (or at least two semi-large) cargo doors in the back.

As easy as it would make it for me...it just doesn't seem practical or realistic to have hydraulics that big though I guess it would be possible and now that I am looking at the picture and trying to see where everything needs to go...I doubt that the above is the case at all.

Now I am wondering if the lower jaw part of the Death's head drops and a ramp extends to "vomit" out troops. :shock: I am further believing this by that curved section that is hidden by the jaw and between the saucer section and that obvious hinge that is there.

I know that there are other pics that have sky cycles swarming out of the back of the DHT but it just doesn't seem plausible unless there are small doors in the back too.

Hopefully this thing will be fleshed out better in Ultimate because 2 paragraphs aren't cutting it for me.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

If I may make a few suggestions?

1) Forget hydrolics for the entire rear section. There's a more practical fix here. Hinge the doors so the open up down the middle like a giant elevator door. From there a ramp can be telescoped from the floor to allow the heavy gear to get in and out. This would be similar to the bow of the landing ships used in World War 2.

2) As for the smaller units like troops and power armor, the side pannels just below the row of windows, one, two or all could be doors that swing up and allow retractable ramps to come out.

3) Though I have no problem with the DTH puking up its cargo, I don't think that there is enough ground clearance under the massive jaw to allow that thing to open significantly once the transport has landed. However, similar to my recomendation for the back, the giant teeth-like pannels could open horizontally like elevator doors for low, easy access and loading. It would be a heck of a lot easier to engineer too.

Hope that helps. I'm looking forward to your finished product. :ok:
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Doesn't the DHT have a seperate compartment for a Spider Skull Walker?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Yes it does.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Jefffar wrote:Doesn't the DHT have a seperate compartment for a Spider Skull Walker?

Perhaps it would be some kind of modular bay? I would think they would want to keep the bay available for multi-purpose ops.

However I defer to those with Military EXP.

Carl
ImageImage
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

I would go about it this way and think of the DHT as the rifts version of the modern day C-5.

The APC's can drive out the mouth, while the Skull walkers and UAR's walk out the back and scratch the whole "separate compartment" idea. This way the DHT has one big cargo area for vehicles and mecha.

Or maybe the "separate compartment" is for the mecha only, with the APC's up front so the non APC embarked troops have a troop compartment above the APC's, but then if the back doors were damaged the mecha couldn’t get out

What is listed in the Main book is what a DHT normally carries into combat (a company sized element with attachments), but the fact that all real life military troop carries are modular and can carry a variety of personnel and equipment is why I would make the DHT have “one big compartment” with APC's and mecha coming/going out the front or back much like a modern day C-5.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Yes, the DHT does have a seperate compartment for the Spider-Skull Walker and will get to that on Deck 3 (or 4 if there is space). I wanted to make the whole of the space being dominated by the cargo hold.

The tech room in the back was more to make sure the directional vane in the back working, more than keeping the hydraulics of the "supposed" backdoor.

I included elevators and galleys for a couple of reason
1. To me, the DHT is the workhorse in the CS troop movements and deployments causing the crews to spend lots of times in their machines...I thought a few creature comforts would be nice...gotta keep the flyboys happy.
2. being a centerpiece and feared machine with much esteem to it, I thought that elevators would add a little flair to it and being that it also would serve as a taxi for high ranking officials...well, you are not going to make the Emporer walk up stairs.

Will try to work more on deck 2 today which will mainly consist of conference rooms (the eyes of the DHT are observation windows), officer lounges, a small medbay, and minimum staterooms for embarked officers.

thanks everyone for the input.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Carl Gleba wrote:
Jefffar wrote:Doesn't the DHT have a seperate compartment for a Spider Skull Walker?

Perhaps it would be some kind of modular bay? I would think they would want to keep the bay available for multi-purpose ops.

Carl

Yeah, but it specifically mentions it in the description. The DHT has a seperate bay that is used just for a spider skull walker.

Perhaps that's the part in the mouth?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Jefffar wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:

Carl

Yeah, but it specifically mentions it in the description. The DHT has a seperate bay that is used just for a spider skull walker.

Perhaps that's the part in the mouth?

I always interpreted that as it just having it's own private 25' x 25' hanger that can be sealed off. I was tinkering parking the two 33.5' long APCs there or have the storage space for captured equipment and prisoners...not sure yet.

Return to “Rifts®”