uranium?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blight
Champion

uranium?

Unread post by Blight »

Radiation has no effect on supernatural beings, then how do U-rounds work? (I need a new triax book.)
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

:shock: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

It says it under the description of U-rounds. They work on supernatural beings, but it's not the radiation.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

So if it's not the radiation that stops the healing prosess what is it. (not ranting i really want to know) :?
The Galactus Kid

As far as I know, it doesn't say. My friend and I wrote an article for RIFTER #31 where we wrote new weapons for TRIAX and we were going to write a gamma cannon. Then we looked at traix and saw that it isn't the radiation that hurtsw them. I don't remember if it says what hurts them, but I KNOW it isn't the radiation.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Ya, cause if it's the radiation supernatual baddies would be sucking.
The Galactus Kid

you know it.

RainOfSteel
Champion

Re: uranium?

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Blight wrote:Radiation has no effect on supernatural beings, then how do U-rounds work? (I need a new triax book.)

Depleted uranium does not do its damage via radiation.

Depleted uranium is tough and quite dense, although it's actually not as tough or dense as tungsten, but has a nifty self-sharpening property that makes it a better penetrator than tungsten. There is a high-speed x-ray photograph at the bottom showing what happens.

Also note the toxicity and transuranic contamination notes in the same document.
Last edited by RainOfSteel on Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

RainOfSteel wrote:
Blight wrote:Radiation has no effect on supernatural beings, then how do U-rounds work? (I need a new triax book.)

Depleted uranium is tough and quite dense, although it's actually not as tough or dense as tungsten, but has a nifty self-sharpening property that makes it a better penetrator than tungsten. There is a high-speed x-ray photograph at the bottom showing what happens. So cool

Also note the toxicity and transuranic contamination notes in the same document. is that why it prevents supernatural from healing?
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

RainOfSteel wrote:

Depleted uranium is tough and quite dense, although it's actually not as tough or dense as tungsten, but has a nifty self-sharpening property that makes it a better penetrator than tungsten. There is a high-speed x-ray photograph at the bottom showing what happens.

Also note the toxicity and transuranic contamination notes in the same document.
The PHYSICAL properties of Uranium has NOTHING to do with its effects on Supernatural Creatures and Creatures of Magic per se, anymore than the PHYSICAL Properties of Silver and Pure Iron do on many Magical Beings.

Rather, it is more correctly the Rules of Magic under which said Creatures exist.

Supernatural Creatures are simply, magically prevented from healing their injuries when wounded with Uranium Rounds (provided the Round stays in the flesh) in much the same way that Vampires are immune to most every other substance in the Megaverse but Silver, Sun, Wood, or Water.
For example, there is NO mention of Plutonium Rounds having the same effect on said Creatures, even though Plutonium is even denser than Uranium and said to be hundreds of times more poisonous...
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

They shouldn't.
It's stupid.

Especially for things like vampires.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Dr. Doom v.3.1.4 wrote:

They shouldn't.
It's stupid.

Especially for things like vampires.
Agreed.

Just another vulnerability that "God" apparently felt he needed to give Magical Creatures (as if they don't have enough of them already vs. Tech in Rifts).

And only Magic can explain why they're vulnerable to the Metal but not it's Radiation, or Radiation in general....

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Right so in other words they made u-rounds for the book them though it would be cool for them to stop supernatural healing. (Probably because of the radiation) Them during editing someone said "dude you can't do that you'll have parties using radiation to Kill every baddie we make." Or something along those lines. So instead of scraping the idea they add a disclaimer saying "it not the radiation that harms the monsters". Got it. thanks. :ok:
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

I dont recall anywhere that it said vampires were harmed by U-rounds.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Nxla666 wrote:I dont recall anywhere that it said vampires were harmed by U-rounds.

Do yourself a favor and keep it that way. :)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Yes maahster. :demon:
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Blight wrote:So if it's not the radiation that stops the healing prosess what is it. (not ranting i really want to know) :?
Neptunium poisoning.
冠双
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Triax, p. 142
"Triax has learned that the phenomenal healing power of most (92%) supernatural menaces and creatures of magic are seriously impaired by radioactive material. Not radiation itself, but radioactive material that penetrates the skin."

Supernatural creautres may be invulnerable to radiation, but that only means that it doesn't make them sick and it does not inflict any actual damage to them... but it does affect them enough that their healing processes are slowed down (or simply negated) by having a radioactive object inside of them.
Bio-regeneration can expel normal bullets from the body, but actively radioactive material cannot be expelled the same way.

Why?
Because "Invulnerable" doesn't always mean 100% Invulnerable in Palladium.
Characters with the Invulnerability super power, for example, are impervious to energy... but they still take some damage from particle beams.
This is basically the same thing.
"invulnerable to radiation" is not the same thing as "completely unaffected by radioactive material."
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Nxla666 wrote:I dont recall anywhere that it said vampires were harmed by U-rounds.
Unfortunately, the Article lists ALL Supernatural Creatures, or at least implies that aal of them are.

Weak.

CANON, but weak.

Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Hey kids, Can you say irradiated boom gun round? I knew you could.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

cornholioprime wrote:
Unfortunately, the Article lists ALL Supernatural Creatures, or at least implies that aal of them are.

Weak.

CANON, but weak.

Triax, p. 143
"The following supernatural or magic creatures (among others) are effected by U-Rounds: Gargoyles, brodkil, dragons, sphinxes, unicorns, zavors, Splugorth, vampires, werebeasts, ghouls, most gods, alien intelligencese, demons, deevils, earth elementals, ice elementals and most supernatural beings or so-called demons."

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Blight wrote:Hey kids, Can you say irradiated boom gun round? I knew you could.

3d6x10+50 MD or so damage to Supernatural creatures... not bad...

Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Wow, you could shoot a supernatural monster with that and he wouldn't laugh at you! :shock:
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:

Weak.

CANON, but weak.

Triax, p. 143
"The following supernatural or magic creatures (among others) are effected by U-Rounds: Gargoyles, brodkil, dragons, sphinxes, unicorns, zavors, Splugorth, vampires, werebeasts, ghouls, most gods, alien intelligencese, demons, deevils, earth elementals, ice elementals and most supernatural beings or so-called demons."

Now you ruined it for him. :(
-George Orwell
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dr. Doom v.3.1.4 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:

Weak.

CANON, but weak.

Triax, p. 143

Now you ruined it for him. :(

Yup.
Misery loves company.

Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Blight wrote:Hey kids, Can you say irradiated boom gun round? I knew you could.

3d6x10+50 MD or so damage to Supernatural creatures... not bad...

Actually more like 4d6x10 (and that's being generous.... no proper even die number since 25% of 180 is 45... )

Now you have to realize how expensive a single round from a boom gun would be compared to a regular rail gun. 200 rounds per shell, vs 20-40 rounds in a normal rail gun burst.

But man.... send a squad of 10 Triax GBs out fitted with Uranium Rounds to go kick some Four Horsemen @$$.
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Rolling Bear wrote:Does it really matter that much that it stops the vamps healing process, since you can't kill them anyway without a stake through the heart I don't see how it really affects the game that much. When you consider cost benifit ratio considering water is free, and du rounds are expensive it really doesn't change much. Unless your the type of GM who lets your players have everything they want when they want it like little crying babies, then you might have a problem.

If you use U-rounds to drop a vampire's HP below 0, he is effectively out of the picture until somebody comes along and removes those bullets from his corpse.
This is as good as killing them most of the time.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Rolling Bear wrote:True True, but couldn't the vamp just turn to mist and have the bullets just drop out? It never said it impairs their other abilities.

When vampires turn to mist, they take personal items with them.
Whether or not bullets lodged in the body would count as personal items would be up to the GM.
Personally, I'd say that the bullets would mist with them.

And in any case, if you drop the below 0 HP they can't do much of anything anyway.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Rolling Bear wrote:True True, but couldn't the vamp just turn to mist and have the bullets just drop out? It never said it impairs their other abilities.

Whether or not bullets lodged in the body would count as personal items would be up to the GM.

And in any case, if you drop the below 0 HP they can't do much of anything anyway.
Nah, Rifts: Vampire Kingdoms says that Vampires can turn into Mist Form to dislodge Substances that pierce their flesh and lodge in their body (page 27, and even though they're talking about Wood in that case....).

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Rolling Bear wrote:Yeah I know about the dropping below 0 hp thing, but Bullets being a personal item?

As I said, it's up to the GM.
I'd say that anything (within certain size limits) on or in their bodies would count.

Can't they choose what they want to bring with them?

Again, it's up to the GM.
I'd say no.

Our that vamp could just stay misty and now get shot at all?

Yup, that they could.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Rolling Bear wrote:Yeah I know about the dropping below 0 hp thing, but Bullets being a personal item?

As I said, it's up to the GM.
I'd say that anything (within certain size limits) on or in their bodies would count.

Can't they choose what they want to bring with them?

Again, it's up to the GM.
I'd say no.

Our that vamp could just stay misty and now get shot at all?

Yup, that they could.
Police Officer: What happened to you, Cornholioprime???

Cornholioprime: He *cough* got me.

Officer: Who got you, son???

Cornholioprime: It was Killer!! Killer Cyborg sigged me!!!!!!

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

cornholioprime wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Nah, Rifts: Vampire Kingdoms says that Vampires can turn into Mist Form to dislodge Substances that pierce their flesh and lodge in their body (page 27, and even though they're talking about Wood in that case....).

Yep mist and foreign objects fall to the ground...
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

JohnathanAV-1 wrote:wasn't there something stated in Vampire Kingdom's about if you knock a vampire's hit points down to such and such number (forget exactly WHAT negative number it is) even IF it doesn't kill them they are effective so beat the hell up that they can't fight and become unconcious or something? So...theoretically speaking, if you riddled a vampire's body with U-rounds and he got to or was at said negative hit points, all you would have to do is wait till the sun rose, correct?

Minus 21 hit points is the number you're thinking of, but vamps regenerate 2d6 HP per round even if they're below that number. They need to be staked, decapitated and burned in order to stop them from regenerating.

Either that or hose them down with water until they dissolve...
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Avorae wrote:Even if the GM would allowed the vamp to remove the bullets by turning into mist his healing factor is stilled reduced. Granted it’s not by much(Seconds= minutes) but that still gives the party a better chance of destroying him than say if they were only using water.

And that is why U-rounds are so nasty.
Uh, Avorae...

....if the Vamp turns into Mist, you can ONLY kill him with Sunlight, and only cause VERY slight Harm (an undefined amount) with even Running Water........

Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

cornholioprime wrote:
Avorae wrote:Even if the GM would allowed the vamp to remove the bullets by turning into mist his healing factor is stilled reduced. Granted it’s not by much(Seconds= minutes) but that still gives the party a better chance of destroying him than say if they were only using water.

And that is why U-rounds are so nasty.
Uh, Avorae...

....if the Vamp turns into Mist, you can ONLY kill him with Sunlight, and only cause VERY slight Harm (an undefined amount) with even Running Water........

That's why vamps are so nasty even with all the vulnerabilities. If you don't take them down quickly they just say 'screw you guys, I'm going home.' :-P

And then they do...

But they come back the next night, and the next, and the next. :twisted:
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
60 DaDa points.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Avorae wrote:quote]Uh, Avorae...

That is true but his regen rate is still fubared which would still give you a chance to hunt him down. after all more than likely a SMART vamp is going to turn tail until he can heal up. So now instead of having to spend 15 seconds to hunt him down and have a fully healed and mad vamp to deal with you might be able to find and kill an still injured and confused one.
[/quote]

This is true, the damage inflicted with U rounds would take hours to heal rather then minutes.
60 DaDa points.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Rolling Bear wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :eek: :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I......I actually knew what I was talking about and Kill.......Killer Cyborg was wrong? I FINALLY BEAT HIM YES I CAN LEAVE THE HOUSE NOW. :lol:

Uh...
"I don't care what the books say, I care what they should say"...?

Nah, I was just wrong.
I missed that section. :ok:

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Rolling Bear wrote:All i needed to make my life complete was to best you once KC, now I can die happy. Well lets hope I live for a while before I die but I'll still die happy none the less

Glad I could help...
:)

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Rolling Bear wrote:Does it really matter that much that it stops the vamps healing process, since you can't kill them anyway without a stake through the heart I don't see how it really affects the game that much. When you consider cost benifit ratio considering water is free, and du rounds are expensive it really doesn't change much. Unless your the type of GM who lets your players have everything they want when they want it like little crying babies, then you might have a problem.

It's not Depleted Uranium. It's Uranium.
Two different types of rounds.

Depleted Uranium has no special effect at all.
-George Orwell
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:When vampires turn to mist, they take personal items with them.

No they don't.
-George Orwell
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Dr. Doom v.3.1.4 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:When vampires turn to mist, they take personal items with them.

No they don't.

Yes, they do.

I just read the relevant section of text.

Page 23 under metamorphosis.
Clothing and other small personal articles, such as jewelry, money in pockets and light weapons(knife, light sword, handgun)
60 DaDa points.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Personal items?? Yeah thats funny. I'd say verry personal, intimate even :D
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Rolling Bear wrote:Thats a little different then being shot. If you read the previous posts we've already figured out that the bullets would just fall out.

Of course I read the previous posts. :rolleyes:

That's beside the point. You got to catch KC, I get to catch Doom. (not that He'll admit to being wrong, but he still is.) :P
60 DaDa points.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Rolling Bear wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :eek: :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I......I actually knew what I was talking about and Kill.......Killer Cyborg was wrong? I FINALLY BEAT HIM YES I CAN LEAVE THE HOUSE NOW. :lol:

Uh...

Nah, I was just wrong.

Hey isn't that a Doom phrase?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Uh...

Nah, I was just wrong.

Hey isn't that a Doom phrase?

Yup, it is. :lol:
60 DaDa points.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kalinda wrote:
Rolling Bear wrote:Thats a little different then being shot. If you read the previous posts we've already figured out that the bullets would just fall out.

That's beside the point. You got to catch KC, I get to catch Doom. (not that He'll admit to being wrong, but he still is.) :P

:shock:Doom Wrong?? Never he is just incorrect some times :D Even
if Doom 3.1.4 is wrong he won't be for long soon he'll be Doom 3.2.4 or Doom 3.1.5 :D
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Kalinda wrote:

:shock:Doom Wrong?? Never he is just incorrect some times :D Even
if Doom 3.1.4 is wrong he won't be for long soon he'll be Doom 3.2.4 or Doom 3.1.5 :D

I wonder if changing his name is his way of acknowledging that he was wrong and has now incorporated the new knowledge in his database, thus becoming an upgraded version of himself? :)
60 DaDa points.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Dr. Doom v.3.1.4 wrote:It's not Depleted Uranium. It's Uranium.
Two different types of rounds.

Depleted Uranium has no special effect at all.

Yes, I eventually got around to re-reading that section of WB5:Triax, and it's U-Rounds and DU-Rounds divison.

Deploying undepleted uranium (238, 233, 235, whatever . . .) rounds would absolutely, stupdenously, stupid. If it is "undepleted", it'll be radioactive, and that's that for the people using it.

My house rule: DU-Rounds are the whole enchilada. Since it isn't radiation we need, I have no trouble using DU-Rounds, as DU is contaminated with transuranic elements, and so delivers a whole medly of "radioactive materials" (and who cares if the radiation level is really, really, low, since it isn't the radiation, but rather the material, that does the trick).
Last edited by RainOfSteel on Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Dr. Doom III
Knight

RainOfSteel wrote:Yes, I eventually got around to re-reading that section of WB5:Triax, and it's U-Rounds and DU-Rounds divison.

Deploying undepleted uranium (238, 233, 235, whatever . . .) rounds would absolutely, stupdenously, stupid. If it is "undepleted", it'll be radioactive, and that's that for the people using it.

That's what environmental body armor and clean up teams are for.
-George Orwell
Killer Cyborg
Priest

RainOfSteel wrote:My house rule: DU-Rounds are the whole enchilada. Since it isn't radiation we need, I have no trouble using DU-Rounds, as DU is contaminated with transuranic elements, and so delivers a whole medly of "radioactive materials" (and who cares if the radiation level is really, really, low, since it isn't the radiation, but rather the material, that does the trick).

It is radioactive material that prevents the healing.
So you do need radiation.

Return to “Rifts®”