Has anyone seen this?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Toc Rat
Hero

Has anyone seen this?

Unread post by Toc Rat »

The link below goes to a site I found that has a clip of a robot that could actually be developed in the real world.

Skelebots anyone? :lol: http://analogik.com/mm_rev_tetra.asp
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

I hope they become affordable, I hate taking out the trash. :D
:fool:
Toc Rat
Hero

Re: Has anyone seen this?

Unread post by Toc Rat »

The Sovereign wrote:
Toc Rat wrote:The link below goes to a site I found that has a clip of a robot that could actually be developed in the real world.

Haha...you're aware that it's animated, right? :P

lol, yes I'm aware it is animated. I am just saying that I can see a robot very much like it becoming reality before too long. Not as an AI of course but controlled via remote much like the current UAVs the US uses.

RainOfSteel wrote:

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Gheralt HellWalker wrote:Have you seen some of the Bots that are actually in use in the Military and in Prototype? They are very impressive and perform many tasks that I am amazed at.

Yes, I am in the US Army and have seen them. I am particularly fond of the cave clearing model.

RainOfSteel wrote:

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Toc Rat wrote:
The Sovereign wrote:
Toc Rat wrote:The link below goes to a site I found that has a clip of a robot that could actually be developed in the real world.

lol, yes I'm aware it is animated. I am just saying that I can see a robot very much like it becoming reality before too long. Not as an AI of course but controlled via remote much like the current UAVs the US uses.

Kool Video :ok:

I'd say no sooner than the year 2030 (and probably more like 2050) for even a human controled robot and no sooner than 2100 for an autonomus bipedal military robot (like a skelebot) that could serve as infantry... unless of course there are major advances to AI in the near future.

Were the "horns" for a mean appearence or do (would) they serve a function (if it were real) I wonder? Probably both I would guess.
House antenni and maybe its "ears"... the farther distance apart would allow better directional location maybe enough to return fire simply by hearing where the shot came from....
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Ah yeah, the tetra-bot. Someone posted it here on the forums an age ago. Sadly, I could never find anything about the alleged company that is meant to be 'developing' the 'bot. It would seem to be someones project in placing animation into live footage.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Thinyser wrote:
Toc Rat wrote:
The Sovereign wrote:

Kool Video :ok:

I'd say no sooner than the year 2030 (and probably more like 2050) for even a human controled robot and no sooner than 2100 for an autonomus bipedal military robot (like a skelebot) that could serve as infantry... unless of course there are major advances to AI in the near future.

Were the "horns" for a mean appearence or do (would) they serve a function (if it were real) I wonder? Probably both I would guess.
House antenni and maybe its "ears"... the farther distance apart would allow better directional location maybe enough to return fire simply by hearing where the shot came from....

They would probably be used as sensor booms, both audio and visual. Imagine trying to look around a corner, down a road where you know there is a sniper roost and trying to spot him by poking out your head.

*splat*

Now imaging you had an eye on the end of a armature, and doing the same thing. Less likelihood of the sniper seeing a sensor boom tip, than your head.

They would possibly house any aerials needed for coms, possibly including a basic satellite array, and laser coms for point to point secure communications.

In short, do yourself a favour and go and get your hand on Appleseed (either version, though I have yet to see the new one). On of the main characters is a 'borg with sensor booms. He also uses them as a form of physical communication, like a dog, rabbit, horse, ect would use their ears, but if they had an intelligence behind their foreheads.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Actually, that might be a bit closer than you think...

ASMIO -- Honda's own humanoid robot
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

hoorays another tool for governments around the world to suppress thier people or setting humanity for a big fall hoorays, i guess what that ape said was true
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Uncle Servo
Champion

Mech-Viper wrote:hoorays another tool for governments around the world to suppress thier people or setting humanity for a big fall hoorays, i guess what that ape said was true

I'm just guessing here, but you're a 'the glass is half-empty' kind of person aren't you? :lol:
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Uncle Servo wrote:Actually, that might be a bit closer than you think...

Considering that the project had been going on for 20+ years before they showed it to the public back in 2000 and they just now got the thing to "run" (looks like a fast paced shuffle if you ask me) after another 5 years, I'd say we still have another 25-45 years ahead before they are battle ready....and ASIMO is simply a remote controlled bot not actually an AI....Those (robots that think for themselves) are WAY into the future probably (hopefully) not in my life time.

iRobot scares me...it simply smells too close to real for me. Robots first take over all the menial jobs and we become dependent upon them then they go all "skynet" on us an take over....sure it was to "protect" us from ourselves but killing half the population so we aren't over crowded isn't really protection its genocide....not that the idea of population control is bad but to have robots impliment genocide as the tool to reach the goal is not kool.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Uncle Servo wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:hoorays another tool for governments around the world to suppress thier people or setting humanity for a big fall hoorays, i guess what that ape said was true

I'm just guessing here, but you're a 'the glass is half-empty' kind of person aren't you? :lol:
no i always have a pitcher near me :lol:
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Uncle Servo
Champion

Thinyser wrote:

Considering that the project had been going on for 20+ years before they showed it to the public back in 2000 and they just now got the thing to "run" (looks like a fast paced shuffle if you ask me) after another 5 years, I'd say we still have another 25-45 years ahead before they are battle ready....and ASIMO is simply a remote controlled bot not actually an AI....Those (robots that think for themselves) are WAY into the future probably (hopefully) not in my life time.

iRobot scares me...it simply smells too close to real for me. Robots first take over all the menial jobs and we become dependent upon them then they go all "skynet" on us an take over....sure it was to "protect" us from ourselves but killing half the population so we aren't over crowded isn't really protection its genocide....not that the idea of population control is bad but to have robots impliment genocide as the tool to reach the goal is not kool.

Just one more discomforting thought...

Back in the mid to late 80s, we had computers installed in my high school that boasted 16K RAM memory -- though they had been upgraded just prior to installation to feature 64K RAM (these were the old Radio Shack TSR-80s).

Now, 20 years later, your typical cell phone has more processing power and it's a common thing to see desktop computer RAM measured in gigabytes rather than kilobytes.

Something tells me that if you don't want to see AIs in your lifetime, you better pray for an early death.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Uncle Servo wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

Back in the mid to late 80s, we had computers installed in my high school that boasted 16K RAM memory -- though they had been upgraded just prior to installation to feature 64K RAM (these were the old Radio Shack TSR-80s).

Now, 20 years later, your typical cell phone has more processing power and it's a common thing to see desktop computer RAM measured in gigabytes rather than kilobytes.

Something tells me that if you don't want to see AIs in your lifetime, you better pray for an early death.
i',m of two thoughts on that, the things that can be done sending ai robots to mars or any planet to explore and research, use to explore the ocean floors and the other side of the tech nightmare with AI robots replacing humans as being top dog, and humans seeing humans as useless or still childern who needs watching after

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Uncle Servo wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

I see your point but that is a poor comparison. We have supercomputers that can process terabites of information per second and they still dont "think" an AI is WAY different than simple processing power. The combination of smaller faster processers and a software that has yet to be developed is what will create an AI.
A true AI needs to be able to learn, improvise, adapt, and overcome, this is something that is very difficult to create software for....it is not so much the hardware that is holding us back in creating AIs but rather the ability to make hardware "think" for itself. I believe the current level of "thought" for a computer is about that of an rat...back in the mid 90's (my highschool years) they were at about the cockroach stage...so advances are SLOW when it comes to writing code to make hardware "think".

rather than pray for an early death I'll pray for a lack of leaps in the "thinking" software arena.

Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

I am not afraid of anything that comes with an OFF switch.

Honest I'm not, no really, you guys believe me right? :?
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Nxla666 wrote:I am not afraid of anything that comes with an OFF switch.

Honest I'm not, no really, you guys believe me right? :?

My gun has a safety on it does that count as an off switch?

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Solothurn wrote:You guys should be concerned about the analog computer that can self expand its memory.

Computers are inharently digital... ones and zeros...I have never seen nor heard of an "analog" computer. Please direct me to where you have seen this.
Its designed to learn from its environment and to begin to think on it own. When memory is reaching a limit, it then can expand on it memory. When things get really advanced.

unless the thing has a mechanical system that can pull another chip off the shelf and wire it into itself i see no way that a piece of hardware (which is what memory is) can expand.

It learns to evolve.
it may learn and adapt but IMO it certainly doesn't evolve...that is something that takes reprduction. Evolution is generally considered the passing of certain traits on to the next generation. A person/animal may learn and adapt during ones own lifetime but they do not evolve to be something different.

Return to “Rifts®”