Just drew this scout ship.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

More than a little simplistic; looks like an early Siembieda design for the "Mechanoids" Books.

You'll need to "spruce up," and clean up, the Ship Design at the very least...
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I was about to mention its resemblence to an AWACS. I would say that this ship would be used as a forward scout or something. I like the drawing, just spruce it up and give it more detail. Ink it if possible. I always photocopy the original and ink the copy so I don't lose the original if I screw up.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Re: Just drew this scout ship.

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Solothurn wrote:Just drew this. Was wondering if any of you guys think it would be a good pic for a ship in phase world or Rifts.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6958/image1withshadow1cz.jpg

Well, I think it looks ok, especially for something that got knocked out in only 30 minutes.
Last edited by RainOfSteel on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

I give it :ok: :ok: Well done! I like it and would use in any PW game I ran. Got any more?

Carl
ImageImage
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

It definately looks like a UAV / drone to me.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Yes, it does certainly look like a drone of some kind.

If you plan on doing more drawings of this craft, it might not be a bad idea to sit down with a t-square/triangle and draw out a more precise rendering of how it will look from the top, side, and front.

I believe that's called an 'isometric' rendering, but as my engineering graphics class took place before many of you were potty trained my memory could be suspect here... :lol:

But if you're wondering what I'm talking about, take a look at Wayne's illustration of the Naruni Broadsword fighter. The only thing missing there IIRC is a front (and/or rear) view.

This will also help you figure out exact dimensions when you get ready to establish stats for it.

As for the drawing itself... it's pretty good, but I have the following observations/recommendations:

1.) Personally I'd worry less about the surface material/reflection and more about details, especially in the concept sketch phase. There will be plenty of time to focus on that later on when you're putting the finishing touches on a final rendering.

2.) Take a look at the conceptual sketches by Doug Chiang and/or John Eaves to get a good idea of what editors want to see. These two had to work on some of the most well-known material in sci-fi history (Star Wars and Star Trek, respectively), so if their stuff could pass muster with the likes of George Lucas and Rick Berman it'd certainly do the same with others.

3.) It looks like you referenced an AWACS plane for the sensor dome. Good idea. However, don't stop at the dome -- get as many photo references you can for vehicles of that scale and use them as reference A LOT. It'll help you decide what details to emphasize.

4.) Grab a ruler, determine horizon line/vanishing points, and clean up perspective. The ion cannon front end looks to be at a different angle than the wings/sensor dome.

5.) Definitely ink the drawings and be mindful of line thicknesses as they lend visual weight to the drawing (when I ink I usually lay a piece of tracing paper/marker paper over the pencil drawing so I don't screw up the original). Use a ruler/triangle with a raised edge to it so the ink doesn't bleed underneath it -- I've messed up many a piece because of that... :badbad:
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Nice, Reminicent of a Cardassian warship..(Always liked that design)
:ok:
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Solothurn wrote:Straightened, touched up painted, and filleted.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5141/shipshadowedscaledcoloredandfi.jpg

Lookin' better and better each time you post it! :ok:
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

wow...more power to you, man.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Sorry to hear that dude. Sounds like this 'Alex' goob wasn't being professional at any point in the process... or at the very least you got some bad information from that 'regular.'

I've been told that a good way to protect yourself is by mailing yourself a copy of your artwork in a sealed envelope along with an affadavit that this is your own original work. As long as the postmark date on the envelope is earlier than the ripoff, you have some leverage.

On a somewhat different subject, you mentioned taking CAD classes. Do you own a copy of the software/have access to it or have another drawing program on your computer?
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Uncle Servo wrote:Sorry to hear that dude. Sounds like this 'Alex' goob wasn't being professional at any point in the process... or at the very least you got some bad information from that 'regular.'

I've been told that a good way to protect yourself is by mailing yourself a copy of your artwork in a sealed envelope along with an affadavit that this is your own original work. As long as the postmark date on the envelope is earlier than the ripoff, you have some leverage.

Actually, a word of caution. I don't believe that particular action (mailing yourself a post-dated copy) bears any legal weight in civil court in the United States (although IANAL).

Your safest bet is to register a copyrighted work with the United States Copyright Office (http://www.copyright.gov), assuming you are in the United States, of course.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Qev wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:Sorry to hear that dude. Sounds like this 'Alex' goob wasn't being professional at any point in the process... or at the very least you got some bad information from that 'regular.'

Actually, a word of caution. I don't believe that particular action (mailing yourself a post-dated copy) bears any legal weight in civil court in the United States (although IANAL).

Your safest bet is to register a copyrighted work with the United States Copyright Office (http://www.copyright.gov), assuming you are in the United States, of course.

Hmmm... then it might be good if we could get some of our resident Palladium artists/editors to chime in here.

Even if it doesn't bear much legal weight, it sure couldn't hurt to do it anyway.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Solothurn wrote:

On a somewhat different subject, you mentioned taking CAD classes. Do you own a copy of the software/have access to it or have another drawing program on your computer?

Well I go blame myself for the misfortune of having the bad karma I did. I acted very protective of my work and wasn't properly protecting my investment with them(time, money, scanner, the art). Im just gonna wash my hands of it and move on or at least try to. Some of the people who contributed to the situation where actually trying to help, but to have another artist take your idea and then have the alternative be used instead is like putting another artist on a pedastal. I guess I wasn't prepared for the type of culture the community over thier operates by and I'll just say I was incompatible. Just wasn't a good fit.

Yeah. I hate to say it, but it can be a pretty ugly cutthroat culture at times.

Solothurn wrote:For the AutoCad question. No. I don't have the software. I only did in class. A student version of the software is like about $300-$400, and the full blown version with liscense would problably be around in the multiple of thousands of dollars. No way could I afford either. Ill just have to stick with my Photo Pos Pro so.......

Just wondering. I've got Adobe Illustrator here at work, and I find myself using it for just about any kind of technical illustration. No, it's not a CAD program, but it works for my purposes (though admittedly they're usually top/side/front views).
Uncle Servo
Champion

gadrin wrote:Solo/Servo try this...

MadMan Mike gave me this link.

it's free...BTW...

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

Now THAT is interesting... Thanks!

Looks to be a PC-only format, so I'll have to dl it at home.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Quester wrote:Heres a link to heelp end the debate on copyright in the US http://www.snopes.com/legal/postmark.asp

Thank you for that. :ok:

Something tells me this site could come in handy on a number of topics.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Quester wrote:Glad to help. One way that the site is good for is laughs, did you check out the "Darwin Awards"?

No, but I did notice with just a little bit of disappointment that the 'gerbil incident' with Richard Gere never actually happened. I had such good response with comedy material based off that. :nh:

Ever watch the show "Mythbusters" on the Discovery Channel? They do similar research and prove/disprove urban legends like what you usually find in Darwin Awards. :ok:
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Solothurn wrote:Just drew this. Was wondering if any of you guys think it would be a good pic for a ship in phase world or Rifts.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Personally, I like it a lot! :ok: :ok: :ok: Funny enough, I actually prefer the pencil version more than the finished one. Has a more grittier feel to it.

Since we're sharing, though I posted this once before (burried deep on pg. 3 of someone else's post, and thus unseen by most here) here's one I came up with that I'm darn proud of. I call it...

The Spider Skull Dragon Wasp

And yes, I have stats for it.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Solothurn wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Personally, I like it a lot! :ok: :ok: :ok: Funny enough, I actually prefer the pencil version more than the finished one. Has a more grittier feel to it.

Since we're sharing, though I posted this once before (burried deep on pg. 3 of someone else's post, and thus unseen by most here) here's one I came up with that I'm darn proud of. I call it...

The Spider Skull Dragon Wasp

And yes, I have stats for it.

Cool. Is it a troop transport? Its seems to have the length.

Think more along the lines of the Coalition's answer to the NGR Dragonwing.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I like the version with the color, although it could use a little more detail in it (It's always in the details). Also, now that I've seen the Anit-monster with some color added it looks much better than when I first saw it. I must admit however, it still looks like he's holding a gaint magnet to pull someone's weapons away (hence the Bugs Bunny quote).

Return to “Rifts®”