The World through Another's Eyes

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

A few other perspectives would be nice. I don't dislike tarn (much) but having her commenting on EVERYTHING gets old. Even another rogue scholar would be interesting, just to get another worldview. (One that's not so much of a peacenik perhaps.)

I really liked the letters and scenes in SoT told from the point of view of Sgt Dean Canton. It was perfect example of how a CS soldier can become 'corrupted' by contact with D-bees and magic users. :)
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

my ideal for RIFTS narration is in the vein of Ibn Fadlad, from the "eaters of the dead" novel by chricton.

reports without speculation or heavy cultural bias the places, cultures, events and things encountered personally.

Erin Tarn brings to mind the adventures of Baron von Munchhousen. or the british colonialists who embellish their stories to entertain, speculate on area's still unexplored, and decry a culture as barbaric because it wasn't british.

the closest i've seen so far to what i call Ideal was Dearn Neenok from the Dinosaur swamp book.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

glitterboy2098 wrote:my ideal for RIFTS narration is in the vein of Ibn Fadlad, from the "eaters of the dead" novel by chricton.

reports without speculation or heavy cultural bias the places, cultures, events and things encountered personally.

Erin Tarn brings to mind the adventures of Baron von Munchhousen. or the british colonialists who embellish their stories to entertain, speculate on area's still unexplained, and decry a culture as barbaric because it wasn't british.

of course, i'm a history major, so i'm biased.

That's an very good example. :ok: I had forgotten about Eaters of the Dead, I'll have to reread that at some point.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
60 DaDa points.
Scooter the Outlaw
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Scooter the Outlaw »

Rifts: Australia was described from three points of view; an outback explorer, an aboriginal, and a tech-city aerojock. It was great, provided three very interesting and different viewpoints on the subject matter, and made it much easier to imagine the whole of Australia's setting, as opposed to only a small portion of it.

If they could do that in every book, I'd be very happy.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

How about the personal diary of Karl Prosek? :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Qev wrote:How about the personal diary of Karl Prosek? :lol:

Entry: PA 106: I'm going to destroy Tolkeen.
Entry: PA 109: Tolkeen Destroyed. I think I'm going to go down to the sublevels and disintegrate a few d-bees before I take a break.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Scooter the Outlaw wrote:Rifts: Australia was described from three points of view; an outback explorer, an aboriginal, and a tech-city aerojock. It was great, provided three very interesting and different viewpoints on the subject matter, and made it much easier to imagine the whole of Australia's setting, as opposed to only a small portion of it.

If they could do that in every book, I'd be very happy.

So was Rifts South America 1. I think his was called Cudbury or something like that. I no longer have access to the book to verify. I also am not sure if he was used in Rifts SA 2 and the Xitcix book had another narrotor view too.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

RainOfSteel wrote:

Entry: PA 109: Tolkeen Destroyed. I think I'm going to go down to the sublevels and disintegrate a few d-bees before I take a break.
funny i never got the impression Karl was the anti-d-bee type,
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Mech-Viper wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

There are occasional hints to that effect if you know where to look.
60 DaDa points.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Kalinda wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

yeah but you would think he and his son would be more anti-d-bee then they really is
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
RainOfSteel
Champion

Mech-Viper wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

Then you missed out on reading most Rifts books that mention Karl or the CS.
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

Mech-Viper wrote:yeah but you would think he and his son would be more anti-d-bee then they really is

Forming an army that will kill d-bees on sight isn't "more anti-d-bee"?
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

RainOfSteel wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:yeah but you would think he and his son would be more anti-d-bee then they really is

That would be one of the hints I was refereing to...
60 DaDa points.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

RainOfSteel wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:
Kalinda wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

yeah but you would think he and his son would be more anti-d-bee then they really is

no it's not, more of a way of growing powe by getting people to face a common foe

RainOfSteel
Champion

Kalinda wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:Forming an army that will kill d-bees on sight isn't "more anti-d-bee"?

That would be one of the hints I was refereing to...

And far be it from me not to state the obvious by putting one of those hints into print here on this message board. :)
RainOfSteel
Champion

Mech-Viper wrote:no it's not, more of a way of growing powe by getting people to face a common foe

So, in your opinion, creating an army that kills a certain class of beings on sight isn't anti "that being", but only a form of "building power"?

Frankly, acting to slaughter a class of being is known as genocide.

I prefer not to sugarcoat it with lesser terms.
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

they have used a few different narrators.
they are not regular. erin tarn is regular, exactly like the CS gets a power boost in each new book, Erin Tarn has to have her say on every world book.
Lazlo should say to kevsim that we should get the power boost in each new book, and the CS can do the narration in each world book as most of the players hate her narration

they put enough NPC's in their books, maybe some of these NPC's could give their take on that area of the world. surely those npc's see the goings on in the area a lot more than erin tarn on her short visit. this way you may get different views from different players who have different agendas. each will see same situation slightly differently
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

RainOfSteel wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:no it's not, more of a way of growing powe by getting people to face a common foe

So, in your opinion, creating an army that kills a certain class of beings on sight isn't anti "that being", but only a form of "building power"?

i never said Karl wasnt a evil man, i just said he wasnt as anti-d-bee as some think, and little jojo is just as bad too both have a lust for power and control

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Lynx8882 wrote:noteably i liked it when books had some form of mission breafing/de-breifing from a CS soldier such as the one persented in MercTown was a little but more accurate when it came to things in MercTown and had a little bit more justifiable reasons than Tarns one sided views

Lynx
i like to see the views from an ancient dragon,and a person living in the burbs.

Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Mech-Viper wrote:
Lynx8882 wrote:noteably i liked it when books had some form of mission breafing/de-breifing from a CS soldier such as the one persented in MercTown was a little but more accurate when it came to things in MercTown and had a little bit more justifiable reasons than Tarns one sided views

Lynx
i like to see the views from an ancient dragon,and a person living in the burbs.

Those would both be very cool. :ok:

I'd also like to see a piece told by a person living in a wilderness communities. Preferably one of the ones they mention in RUE that only survive 1d6 years...
60 DaDa points.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Kalinda wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:

Lynx

Those would both be very cool. :ok:

I'd also like to see a piece told by a person living in a wilderness communities. Preferably one of the ones they mention in RUE that only survive 1d6 years...
I like the ones in Dinosaur Swamp by Deearn Neenok that was neat

dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Kalinda wrote:A few other perspectives would be nice. I don't dislike tarn (much) but having her commenting on EVERYTHING gets old. Even another rogue scholar would be interesting, just to get another worldview. (One that's not so much of a peacenik perhaps.)

I really liked the letters and scenes in SoT told from the point of view of Sgt Dean Canton. It was perfect example of how a CS soldier can become 'corrupted' by contact with D-bees and magic users. :)

Yeah, I like dean canton. I think having a CS perspective on something would be pretty interesting. What I liked about dean is that dispite his ordeal, he is still with the CS, showing how a CS soldier can be good.

I would also like to see the world (or at least NA) through Karl or Josephs eyes.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Solothurn wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:
Kalinda wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:
RainOfSteel wrote:

no it's not, more of a way of growing powe by getting people to face a common foe

Which could of been done through a number of other ways that you so conveintly not pointed out volunteerarily. He could of made an empire that revolved around something different if he where biased as such, but didn't As for being anti-dbee. Karl's empire is a creation of him. He created it. Therefore it is an emulation of the creator. An anti-dbee empire makes for an anti-dbee emporer, even if he doesn't think so. Credit lies in the place of one fruits. Your impression is non-valid.
sure yeah right ............................hunger for power and control, but anyways Karl shotting a d-bee in cold blood isnt his style

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

RainOfSteel wrote:

Exactly just like a short little German man with a bad hair cut and an even worse mustache style wasn't anti-semitist(sp)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
RainOfSteel
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:Exactly just like a short little German man with a bad hair cut and an even worse mustache style wasn't anti-semitist(sp)

If you mean that Karl Prosek draws inspiration from Hitler, and does many things just like him, and thinks in some ways like him, then I can go with that.

Return to “Rifts®”