The best way

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, the first issue I have is how did he manage to get the Sea Serpent to sit still in his ritual for however long it took to cast (more or less 10 min)? While the range is listed as self or other by ritual, I still think that other being needs to be touched or at least be in VERY close proximity to the caster. Also, I think there should be some similarity in the size of the before and after. Sea Serpent to man is too much.

Now, if you rule the ritual was cast, then it still shouldn't drown. The description I have on page 204/5 of the main book says:

"The metamorphosis process only changes the appearance of the body. The transformed person retains his own voice, memory, skills, powers, and attributes."

Some might argue that since it says "person" that the ritual can't be cast on a non-person. I think a Sea Serpent would qualify as a non-person. However, it clearly states they retain all their skills, powers, etc. So, I think the Sea Serpent would still be able to breath underwater and thus not drown. It would also be able to flail away at the ship with the same strength.

-Vek
"Where is that Mysteries of Magic book?"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Veknironth wrote:spin..

Some might argue that since it says "person" that the ritual can't be cast on a non-person. I think a Sea Serpent would qualify as a non-person. However, it clearly states they retain all their skills, powers, etc. So, I think the Sea Serpent would still be able to breath underwater and thus not drown. It would also be able to flail away at the ship with the same strength.

-Vek
"Where is that Mysteries of Magic book?"

The word person would refer to the target being sentient, not non-humioid. I would have to dig outmy books to judge whether or not a Seaserpent is or isn't.....but the way is to look at the type of IQ it has. If its animalistic IQ then its a beast...if it doesn't have the animalistic IQ listing then its sentient.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Yisterwald
Wanderer

Re: The best way

Unread post by Yisterwald »

rungok wrote:What is your ruling in this situation?

Clever, but futile idea. +25 exp.
That's right folks, remember to look both ways before crossing the Yisterwald. -- TAF
For the record, Yisterwald rocks. -- Prettz
Creationism is a non-scientific viewpoint that says 'Poof, the world happened'. It lacks any credible evidence, and survives in the school system on the back of religious imperialists whose purpose is to destroy the educational system. -- Mark Hall
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: The best way

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

rungok wrote:So...

One player in my group managed to save our parties lives when we were in a life raft (our boat sank.) from a sea serpent. He used a metamorph human spell or something like that and turned the sea serpent into a human. (dont ask me, It was just how he described it) Since sea serpents never usually are humans, it didnt know how to swim with legs and drowned... kinda ironic.

What is your ruling in this situation?

Considering Metamorphasis Human can only be done on others by ritual, I'd have to declare it illegal...
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”