Exclusive martial arts rules clarification

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Unread post by Guest »

newguy wrote:Someone has probably already brought this up before but do exclusive martial arts forms count as two forms or one?
One, with the exceptions of Ninjitsu and Thai Kick Boxing.
In other words if I'm an OCC Dedicated Martial Artist and get to select two forms is that one primary and one secondary OR one exclusive? or is it One primary and one secondary regardless of if they're exclusive or not?
DMAs in the revised edition get to select one exclusive style or two non-exclusive styles.

Why is it a Worldly Martial Artist can't select an exclusive form if they're training in the same monastery that the dedicated one is? What if they're both at ninjitsu school or whatever?
Supposedly, the revised edition nerfed both martial arts classes because "the martial arts were too powerful."

gunman_4life wrote:K, by the rules an exclusive form takes up two forms which is what a dedicated is allowed under the non revised rules they had three which is why exclusive shcools list shorter study times for secondary forms when under the current rules set you can't get one.
No.

If you wanted to you could go by the old rules allowing for more capable and interesting martial artists.
There's also modified rules in the N&S errata.

I believe Ninjuitsu is a special exception where it is considered an exclusive two style art but worldly martial artists can take it anyway.
Actually, by the official rules, the only things that can learn Ninjitsu in the revised edition are the DMA and WMA NPCs in the quick roll table.

Unread post by Guest »

darkmax wrote:I thought they were too powerful before.....
How so? When the original edition had almost no limits on martial arts, and the non-martial artist OCCs typically got a martial arts style AND a ton of skill programs, how does giving the MA classes 2 or 3 martial art styles make them too powerful?
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

What bugs me is the references to training time for related forms when it is an exclusive form.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Unread post by Guest »

RockJock wrote:What bugs me is the references to training time for related forms when it is an exclusive form.
That's a hold-over from the original version, along with things like merging Moo Gi Gong and Hwarang-do.

Unread post by Guest »

darkmax wrote:When I moved those characters to Rifts, they were almost impossible to kill....
Sounds like a problem on your end.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The Moo Gi Gong problem was what I was thinking of.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Unread post by Guest »

RockJock wrote:The Moo Gi Gong problem was what I was thinking of.
Yeah, well, what can I say, almost all the peeps that play N&S pretty much ignore the "revised" versions of the DMA and WMA.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Yeah the revised version of the Martial art OOCs are pretty crummy. I wish I had the non-revised version of Ninja's and Superspies but I can't find the book anywhere. I did some research on Hwarang-do Karate and it seems that Moo Gi Gong is just part of Hwarang-do. It's the weapons training in the real martial art and is never taught seperately from Hwarang-do. :-?
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Re: Exclusive martial arts rules clarification

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

In the revised edition a DMA can only learn 2 forms as opposed to the 3 available in the origional rules set. The WMA can only learn 1 form as opposed to the 2 available in the origional rules set. Ninjitsu Takes up 2 form slots. This means by the revised rules set, only a DMA can learn Ninjitsu.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”