attributte rolls?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

attributte rolls?

Unread post by goodhometownboy »

i know i know something so simple but it seems every time this comes up me the gm or the other gm seem to have a brain fart at the moment... so here it goes....... how do you guys roll for attributte checks? i would say a d20 but it seems alot of characters these days have over a 20 in any attributte... so do you roll a d10 and a d20 to see check it? right now thats the only solition i can come up with.. thats for your help
goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

huh says again (iq of say umm 10 here) ((well maybe a 9) lol
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Then you rolled under a 5 on a d20 ;)

You can make the maximum attribute 18 for the purposes of the check, sort of like the 98% skill proficiency rule.

Attributes over 16 are rare in our games. I wish I had your dice.

In one of the Palladium supplments, Nargash Tor I think, it was a straight d20 vs attribute. If you are over 20, then you automagically make it, I guess.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The rule is I beleive 2d20 and the combined added roll has to be under the attribute in question.

Which means in order to always pass you have to have an attribute of 40+

The fact that I know how to get every attribute in the game higher than that nonwithstanding :P :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

* I use the perception check chart for difficulty. and the bonus for the roll is whatever is applicable. Like using the base magic save for PE as your bonus to whatever attribute check dealing with PE. Pretty straight forward for PE, ME, and PP

* IQ use the ME bonus.

* PS divide attribute by 10(rounding down, or keep the decimal for roll offs with other characters).

* MA and PB divide the pecentage bonus by 10 (rounding down, or keep decimal for roll offs with other characters)

that'll give you good number for a bonus to be added to a 20 sider.
seems to work really well at my table.

problem with precentiles is that if your rolling against another roll its hard to gague the success.
I believe somebody had a percentile roll off modification if you prefer that. I believe it was Kuseru Satsujin. But I don't know where he posted it.
Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shotgun Jolly »

duck-foot wrote:I do it this way (all are D% like skills, roll under) like a skill it cannot go beyond a 98%.
Well use a P.P. of 20 for the example
Easy as pie attribute check. Attribute x5 (roll under 98%)
Very Easy attribute check. Attribute x4 (roll under 80%)
Easy attribute check. Attribute x3 (roll under 60%)
Normal attribute check. Attribute x2 (roll under 40%)
Hard attribute check. Attribute roll under 20%
Very hard attribute check. 1/2 Attribute (round down) roll under 10%

now its upto you the gm to decide what is a hard, easy or normal check.

I use somthing very close to this..

I just break it down into 3 groups.. easy, medium, hard,

Easy is X3 the attribute.
Medium is X2.
Hard is just the attribute.

Roll under on D100 to make it.

I figured I just keep it this way cause a person who doesnt have the skill should have a hard time using his default then someone who does have the skill.

Or, to just keep it simple, so all rolls are just D100 under your Attribute

Hope it helps

Regards
©-JC Locke retains ownership and rights of all original artwork and information posted
by the ShotGun Jolly account.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

duck-foot wrote:
Shotgun_Jolly wrote:
duck-foot wrote:I do it this way (all are D% like skills, roll under) like a skill it cannot go beyond a 98%.
Well use a P.P. of 20 for the example
Easy as pie attribute check. Attribute x5 (roll under 98%)
Very Easy attribute check. Attribute x4 (roll under 80%)
Easy attribute check. Attribute x3 (roll under 60%)
Normal attribute check. Attribute x2 (roll under 40%)
Hard attribute check. Attribute roll under 20%
Very hard attribute check. 1/2 Attribute (round down) roll under 10%

now its upto you the gm to decide what is a hard, easy or normal check.

I use somthing very close to this..

I just break it down into 3 groups.. easy, medium, hard,

Easy is X3 the attribute.
Medium is X2.
Hard is just the attribute.

Roll under on D100 to make it.

I figured I just keep it this way cause a person who doesnt have the skill should have a hard time using his default then someone who does have the skill.

Or, to just keep it simple, so all rolls are just D100 under your Attribute

Hope it helps

Regards

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE JOLLY

At least great somethings :D :-P

I am surprised no one has jumped in to complain about the unneccessary complexity of this way of doing things.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

duck-foot wrote:Lather must mow die!!!!!!! :lol:

:erm:

:P
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Mine has always been double the attribute number, then use percentile
dice to roll beneath it. Say the PCs are moving a large table out of a
room. Now its not going to be a problem to pick it up. So I tell one
PC to make an IQ roll. His IQ is 14 which turns into 28. Then I think about
his character, let's say his a mechanic. So I'll give him an extra 15
(usually no more then 20) so it gives him a 43. So roll below that and you
can figure out how to manuever the table out the door. I general use
attribute rolls for miscellanous skill stuff thats not cover by skills, combat
bonuses, or special abilities.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

This comment will probably get me beat down but......
This is one of the reasons I like D&D 3rd edition. They have whole tables for the target number needed to perform most tasks, and the related attribute you can use for bonuses.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

I am not one for tables myself, but I certainly would not beat down anyone who is!
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

I've always had a problem deciding how attribute checks should be done, too. (Also those pesky perception checks, which some of the kind folks here on the forums have already helped me with) I like the idea of turning it into a percentage check, that seems to make sense, though it might make for more work on the part of the GM (who amongst us isn't used to that?) It will definitely make the checks easier on the players in my group, one of which is my wife, so I definitely want to make things easier, don't I? Thanks guys! 8)
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Northern Ranger wrote:It will definitely make the checks easier on the players in my group, one of which is my wife, so I definitely want to make things easier, don't I? Thanks guys! 8)

No. Not want.

Need

:lol:
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

It almost sounds like you know her, Lather. :lol:
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Northern Ranger wrote:It almost sounds like you know her, Lather. :lol:

Almost, yes. 8-)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: attributte rolls?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I usually have them roll 1d30 for stat checks. (1d10+1d20 will do for rolling with real dice)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

goodhometownboy wrote:i know i know something so simple but it seems every time this comes up me the gm or the other gm seem to have a brain fart at the moment... so here it goes....... how do you guys roll for attributte checks? i would say a d20 but it seems alot of characters these days have over a 20 in any attributte... so do you roll a d10 and a d20 to see check it? right now thats the only solition i can come up with.. thats for your help

Percentile dice is the most official method.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
goodhometownboy wrote:i know i know something so simple but it seems every time this comes up me the gm or the other gm seem to have a brain fart at the moment... so here it goes....... how do you guys roll for attributte checks? i would say a d20 but it seems alot of characters these days have over a 20 in any attributte... so do you roll a d10 and a d20 to see check it? right now thats the only solition i can come up with.. thats for your help

Maybe if you are talking about a 'sense of balance' roll. But there are many chars w/o gym. nor acro. so can't roll vs SoBal.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Maybe if you are talking about a 'sense of balance' roll. But there are many chars w/o gym. nor acro. so can't roll vs SoBal.

I'm talking about any kind of attribute check.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Nargash Tor uses 1D20 for several attribute checks, and also uses P.P.'s dodge bonus and against a GM's D20 roll to determine if a character avoids falling into a trap. See pages 17 and 22 and perhaps elsewhere in the book; search "D20", you'll find them. That's all I've seen. I don't know what's official though since I neither read all the books nor have the power of reading Kevin's mind.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Here's an earlier thread on the topic:
viewtopic.php?p=1515552#p1515552

And this is from the FAQ:
viewtopic.php?p=1574317#p1574317
Question: For skills that it seems like anyone could attempt, like climbing, prowl, aand swimming, how do you determine a base chance of success for characters who have not learned them?
Answer: Attribute checks are the recommended method of determining success in these situations. Kevin Siembieda generally has the attribute equal the percent chance of success against a percentile roll.

goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

actully what i figured out was to just double the attributte score and roll percentile dice to get under it
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I am playing around with a Target Number System. The player roll D20 + Ability vs. the TN. The hero always succeeds on a natural 20 and always fails on a natural 1. This lets the weakest weenie have a shining moment and the mightiest intellect will occassionally brainfart. I love those crits and fumbles for storytelling!

CHALLENGE
Easy = TN 10 or no roll (you are heroes so who cares about easy stuff?)
Normal = TN 20
Hard = TN 25
Extreme = TN 30

BTW, before anyone screams "OMG D&D" please note that TN style systems have been around since 1976 with Tunnels & Trolls and used in many other RPGs long before WotC published 3.0.

Here's another option. Since Palladium uses Opposed Rolls for combat, why not for ability challenges? The player rolls D20 + Ability score and the GM rolls D20 + Challenge Level bonus. Ties go to the heroes.

Easy = D20 + no bonus (if you really want to roll)
Normal = D20 + 10
Hard = D20 + 15
Extreme = D20 + 20

I will probably be writing this up with more detail for Rifter 0.1 if that project happens. I personally like this method because it means the challenge may actually be secretly more complicated or easier than at first glance.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

goodhometownboy wrote:actully what i figured out was to just double the attributte score and roll percentile dice to get under it

I think that works out fine.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

he's alive!
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Alive and kicking. How's your "Denver Game" going? I talked to Alex and said you guys were gaming pretty much every weekend. :D
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

I make them as a skill and add to skill list. For this example I’ll set all attributes at 20. Total percent cannot be greater than 98%
Intelligence of 20 = 20 + 6% bonus = 26% base skill + 6% per level (bonus mod.)
Mental Endurance of 20 = 20 + 3 bonus (use ‘save vs. insanity’ bonus) = 23% base skill +3% per level (bonus mod.)
Mental Affinity of 20 = 60% ÷ 2 = 30% base skill + 6% per level (60% ÷ 10 = +6%) (This is purely arbitrary on my part.)
Physical Strength of 20 = 20 + 5 bonus = 25% base skill + 5% per level (bonus mod.)
Physical Prowess of 20 = 20 + 3 bonus = 23% base skill + 3% per level (bonus mod.)
Physical Endurance of 20 = 20 + 10% bonus (use ‘save vs. coma/death’ bonus) = 30% base skill + 5% per level (10% ÷ 2 = 5%) (This is purely arbitrary on my part.)
Physical Beauty of 20 = 50% ÷ 2 = 25% base skill + 5% per level. (This is purely arbitrary on my part.)
Speed of 20 = 20% base skill + 5% per level. (This is purely arbitrary on my part.)
Now, you can add ± to the target percent player must roll under to succeed. Feel free to use and abuse as you see fit.

Enjoy. :D
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

I have a five step process.

1.Have each of the players give me five dollars.

2. Go buy another game.

3. Buy a pizza with the remaining cash.

4. ????

5. Have fun!

That solves most of the problems.
Please check out my Deviant Art gallery
and my Mutants & Magic blog.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”