Wards

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

A diabolist needs to create a ward phrase... this is one or more ward symbols which will create a certain effect. This can be very simple. A Sound Alarm ward is simply the Sound Alarm symbol, made in any substance whatsoever.

It can also be more complex; you can make a pair of wards that is a Trigger Alarm that only goes off for Evil people wearing Black (ward one), which sets off a Protection by Infliction Area Affect Power Energy and is set to Permanence (ward two).

Page 123 and 124 lists the required materials to create wards in; page 124 lists how long it takes to create them.

Some people require skill rolls to make the ward symbols; some do not.

Can you be more specific?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Yisterwald
Wanderer

Unread post by Yisterwald »

:lol: I like this guy!
That's right folks, remember to look both ways before crossing the Yisterwald. -- TAF
For the record, Yisterwald rocks. -- Prettz
Creationism is a non-scientific viewpoint that says 'Poof, the world happened'. It lacks any credible evidence, and survives in the school system on the back of religious imperialists whose purpose is to destroy the educational system. -- Mark Hall
Library Ogre

apprentice04 wrote:hey thanks pal, in the book it seemed more complicated. maybe im just trying to make it sound more complicated.

next question.. where do babies come from?

Ask your mother. :D

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, the deeper you delve into wards, the more problems you'll find. Nexx is a good resource for this kind of thing since he literally wrote the book on magic. Of course, that book has yet to see print. Goliath Strongarm used to be here and he was pretty good about wards also. However, the lack of books ran him off. Alas.

-Vek
"Rifts, ptooey. In honor of GS."
Library Ogre

Veknironth wrote:Well, the deeper you delve into wards, the more problems you'll find. Nexx is a good resource for this kind of thing since he literally wrote the book on magic. Of course, that book has yet to see print. Goliath Strongarm used to be here and he was pretty good about wards also. However, the lack of books ran him off. Alas.

That and deployment to a sandbox.

All Palladium Articles
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

MrNexx wrote:
Veknironth wrote:Well, the deeper you delve into wards, the more problems you'll find. Nexx is a good resource for this kind of thing since he literally wrote the book on magic. Of course, that book has yet to see print. Goliath Strongarm used to be here and he was pretty good about wards also. However, the lack of books ran him off. Alas.

That and deployment to a sandbox.

And a laptop that went belly up, due to sand, and being bounced around a lot. Oh, also, a gorgeous young blonde... but that's an entirely different topic (side note: you would not believe how difficult it is to try to have a nice date while in baghdad... the last one got interrupted by mortars... GRRRRRRRRR).

However, about a thousand bucks got a replacement laptop. The sandbox vacation is about halfover. Looking at the latest press release, however, still makes me broken hearted.

But, back to the actual topic of this thread-

Wards are AWESOME. And simple.

"this triggers it" + "this is what it does" is your standard ward phrase. Alarms are on their own, a single ward is the phrase, but more can be added to help limit what triggers it. Otherwise, anything triggers it. Can be bad, can be good.

Wards like permenance, power, and area effect are 'boosters', that get applied to adjust effects of wards. So, they get added to the phrase.

I don't have ANY of my palladium stuff with me, this tour, so, I can't site details. Im just going with my palladium memory... which is shrinking, from lack of use, the past couple of years...

--
:bandit:
GS
"Wow.. the Hell series is 5 books... 4 of which are RIFTs... the last is HU... huh??? happened to PF?!?!"
Library Ogre

Goliath Strongarm wrote:I don't have ANY of my palladium stuff with me, this tour, so, I can't site details. Im just going with my palladium memory... which is shrinking, from lack of use, the past couple of years...

This is why I think they need to get the RMB put on CD with a dice roller.

All Palladium Articles
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

MrNexx wrote:
Goliath Strongarm wrote:I don't have ANY of my palladium stuff with me, this tour, so, I can't site details. Im just going with my palladium memory... which is shrinking, from lack of use, the past couple of years...

Yeah, well, I've been gaming, just not PB games. And, even if they had RIFTs out on CD... anyone that's been around for a while knows how I feel about it...

Side note: Vek, thanks for that honorable "ptooey"...

--
GS
:bandit:
Library Ogre

Goliath Strongarm wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Yeah, well, I've been gaming, just not PB games. And, even if they had RIFTs out on CD... anyone that's been around for a while knows how I feel about it...

We know, GS... but can you honestly tell me that the GIs you're playing in the sand with wouldn't get all giddy about blowing **** up with big robots?

All Palladium Articles
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

MrNexx wrote:
Goliath Strongarm wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

We know, GS... but can you honestly tell me that the GIs you're playing in the sand with wouldn't get all giddy about blowing **** up with big robots?

For that crowd, there's always Battletech and RoboTech... but the crowd Im around is more swordswinging and spellslinging...
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”