Okay what book am i suspsoed to learn from?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

You should start learning from Rifts Ultimate Edition, as it has the most recent version of the core rules.

Yes, the dimension books are compatible.

Welcome to the Boards.

:)

~ Josh
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Rifts Ultimate Edition is a great starting point, and has a section listing which books are useful depending what type of adventures you want to run.

Rifts GM Guide is a great book has almost everything listed weapon and vechile and power armor wise. cuts down on the number of books you need to carry around.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

The Books I would use.

Unread post by Shotgun Jolly »

Welcome to the MegaVerse TBone

Figured I would offer my 2 cents worth on what books one would need to learn from.

Here is what I would buy or borrow to get a good grasp on things when it comes to the core information that I think a person would need to get started playing. Everything else would be extra flavor.

R:UE
Book of Magic
Bionic Source Book.
GM Guide
Conversion book one, or Revised coversion book 1 and Dark Conversions.

The above list should help you get well on your way. Mind you there are a dozen books that you could add to give you a ton of new equipment/OCC's and what ever. But this should allow you to get your guys playing in the world of Rifts. Then when you get the feel for it you can buy/borrow what ever world books you would want to suit your needs. Atlantis, CWC, Juicer Uprising, Xiticix Invasion, what ever you suits your style.

For extra Gear and equipment.
Mercenaries and/or Merc OPs/ and Source Book 1 (any version should do. I dont have the newer one yet tho)

Based on what you have, with R:UE and Federation of Magic should do you plenty well in regards to magic. Book of magic just has everything piled in one location which makes it alot easier to cart around to your games. So you are good on that aspect. As for the Demensional Market. I dont have that book yet.. BUT its next of my "to get" list. lots of cool stuff in there from what i have seen.

The list of books that you have listed should do you pretty good tho.

Anyways, I hope what I said helps.

Regards
©-JC Locke retains ownership and rights of all original artwork and information posted
by the ShotGun Jolly account.
Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

lol

Thanks duck-foot.

and to prove the point even more.. If you look, I also stated the CS war campaign in my post.. just called it the CWC tho.

Funny..
©-JC Locke retains ownership and rights of all original artwork and information posted
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Three key books needed...

#1: Rifts Ultimate Edition
#2: Gamemasters Guide
#3: Book of Magic

Other books that are quite useful...

#1: Rifts Mercenaries
#2: Rifts MercTown
#3: Rifts MercOps

Then flavor your game with the books most appropriate to the area your playing in.

DON'T THINK YOU NEED TO INCLUDE EVERYTHING IN THE BOOKS!
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

Nxla666 wrote:Three key books needed...

#1: Rifts Ultimate Edition
#2: Gamemasters Guide
#3: Book of Magic

Other books that are quite useful...

#1: Rifts Mercenaries
#2: Rifts MercTown
#3: Rifts MercOps

Then flavor your game with the books most appropriate to the area your playing in.

DON'T THINK YOU NEED TO INCLUDE EVERYTHING IN THE BOOKS!

Run many merc campaigns? Hehe, you may want to check out Ninjas & Superspies too although it is by no means a core book.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Ill need to take a look at aftermath, it sounds intriguing.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

Buy Rifts Madhaven.
Jmur
Wanderer

Unread post by Jmur »

The Ultimate Edition is the most important one that you will need. As it has character generations and fairly good background information. Although it is more generalized and doesn't expand on a lot of worlds. (Thats what world books are for!)
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I'm actually going to disagree with the Book of Magic and GM's Guide.

Now here's the reason: Those are two great reference books, but that's not what he needs to read right now. They are intended for players who are already familiar with the setting and just need a memory jogger. He's looking to learn about Rifts.

Focus exclusively on Rifts Ultimate Edition for now (or the original Rifts Main Book). It will provide you the best overview information you're looking for. It's intended to be the starting place for Rifts and will give you a taste of everything. Once you've got a good feel for it, then you'll have an idea of what you'll want to read next.

Most of the supplements (source books, world books, dimension books, etc) serve two functions. (1) They'll dive deeper into a certain topic. Such as the Federation of Magic will detail that group and location. (2) It's provide new Characters and equipment that relate to the topic. Such as new types of mages. Let your interests from reading Rifts Ultimate Edition guide you.

Finally, let your GM help. Don't waste your time reading the Wormwood book if your group will never go there.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

Hi Mack.

I agree partly with your view on the Book of Magic and Federation of Magic source books. Here is why.

R:UE has spells listed under the OCCs selections that are NOT printed in the spell section of the rules. So, that is why I would say to go with the BoM.

but..

If he has the Federation of Magic Version 1, then yeah he is good, he gets the spells listed there plus info and some newer OCCs. But if he has the revised version, then he will not have the spell descriptions that are listed as some of the choices of the OCC in R:UE.

So, if he has version 1 of FoM then he is fine but if he only has the revised version, he is hosed. :(

But, thats just my two cents worth anyway.

Regards
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

I'd go with this order from what you've said you have:

1)Rifts Ultimate edition
----- main rules and setting
2)Rifts Conversion book one
----- for beasties
3)dark conversions
----- for scarier beasties
4)rifts adventur guide
----- how to construct adventures
5)federation of magic
------ for yin to Coalition yang
6)england
7)africa
8)splyyn dimensional market
9)south america
------setting books. You don't need to use them unless you go there. However, each of these books really builds on material in Rifts: Atlantis to be fully understood.

10)dragons and gods
11)monsters and animals
These are Palladium Fantasy books that work well with Rifts, but don't specifically add to the Rifts genre partucularly. M&A=more beasties, both mundane and magical. However CB1 fills this need.
If you want some to add Deific influence in addition to what is printed in Rifts: Africa (Gods of Light and Dark), D&G is a great resource.

12)wormwood--dimension book, and as someone said, if you aren't going there, you don't need it.(except there is a small crossover in SA)

13Rifts--good to have as a reference. There's some spells in it that aren't in RUE, and there is a random demon generator in the back that is useful also. As an old-school player, I still can't find a damn thing in RUE, but my Rifts main book pretty much falls over to where I need to go. You won't have this problem.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start

Return to “Rifts®”