Upgrading Certain Spells

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

my advice is to come up with higher level versions like 2 levels higher that different effects
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

Follow the NightBane rules. I have a bunch of spells (in particular, 1st level warlock spells) that I incrementally increase up to 8th level. For example, doubling the ppe and increasing the level by 1 quadruples the area or amount affected.
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

GhostKnight wrote:Follow the NightBane rules. I have a bunch of spells (in particular, 1st level warlock spells) that I incrementally increase up to 8th level. For example, doubling the ppe and increasing the level by 1 quadruples the area or amount affected.

Dont you mean PB system's spell creation/modification rules found in the Through the Glass Darkly book? They are not just rules for the NB setting, (unlike the rules found iin RUE.)

As for what I would like to see..Seal: effecting one item, seals for all but the caster, duration caster's life time

For smashed

Fire Ball variants
Kittenstomp

PostPosted: 08 May 2003 17:05
I had a human sorcerer in Nightbane who designed a bunch of Fire Ball variants for his personal use. The SDC damage for these spells may seem high but they were designed with Nightbane in mind where a call lightning does 3d6+6+1d6 per level instead of PFRPG's 1d6 per level.

Bouncing Fire Ball
Level: 6
Range: 90’
Duration: 1 melee
Damage: 4d6+1d6 SDC per level (1d4 MD per level)
Saving Throw: Dodge, -2 to dodge the initial shot, -6 to dodge all subsequent shots
PPE: 17
The spell caster creates a fire ball which after hitting its initial target can strike one additional target per level. Unlike other Fire Balls, a Bouncing Fire Ball must be aimed. The caster is +3 to strike, -1 for each additional target. If the mage misses any of his ricochet shots, the spell ends.

Burning Fire Ball
Level: 7
Range: 90’
Duration: 1 melee per level
Damage: 1d8 SDC/1d4 MD per level
Saving Throw: Dodge, must roll an 18 or higher
PPE: 25
The spell caster creates a large fire ball which he can hurl at a target, inflicting 1d4 MD per level. The spell continues to deal damage for one melee per level. Rolling in the dirt will put out the flames, but water will not. The fire ball effects a 1’ area per level of experience.

Explosive Fire Ball
Level: 7
Range: 90'
Damage: 5d6+1d6 SDC per level (1d6 MD per level)
Saving Throw: Dodge, must roll an 18 or higher.
PPE: 25
The spell caster creates a large fire ball that explodes on contact with its target. In addition to the damage, the explosion has a 01-40% chance of knocking victims off their feet. The explosion affects a 10' radius.

Ranged Fire Ball
Level: 6
Range: 300'+100' per level
Damage: 1d8 SDC/1d4 MD per level
Saving Throw: Dodge, must roll an 18 or higher
PPE: 20
The spell caster creates a large fire ball that can be hurled at a target with awesome speed. As it flies through the air, the fire ball makes a high pitched whistling noise.

In the "Damage" section of the spell's statistics I list both the SDC and MDC stats. I listed the MD in the spell description of Burning Fire Ball because at the time I was basing my Fire Ball variants, well...of the Fire Ball spell, and that's how its worded.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nightshade37
Explorer

Unread post by Nightshade37 »

Here is a variant of Invincible Armor that one of my characters created using the info from Through the Glass Darkly:

Defensive Shield: 8th level
Range: Self or one other by touch
Duration: 3 minutes/level
Saving Throw: None
PPE: 40

Encases the target in a form-fitting invisible magic field. It has 30 mdc per level of the caster, takes 1/2 damage from all forms of energy attack, and if destroyed will disappear in a flash of light, absorbing any extra damage.

Traded out the full environmental and regenerating qualities for 5 more MDC per level, and getting rid of the annoying red glow.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

gadrin wrote:stolen! :D

I believe the "proper" terminology would be:

Spelljacked! :lol:
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

gadrin wrote:stolen! :D

Remember to post full acreditaions for the spell creations if posting it somewhere.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

The Last Darkness wrote:Also the Principles of magic rules can get dangerous.
I had a player one time some years ago that used those rules to reverse effect alot of spells. Vulnerable to Energy comes to mind, he played this whole "Dubuff mage" rout that was weird and powerful.
Unblinding Flash(dims a 10ft area on a sunny day),Life Trance(makes you appear to be not dead),Breath with Air(no explanation needed) :thwak:
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Re:

TrumbachD wrote:
The Last Darkness wrote: The Principles of magic rules can get dangerous.
I had a player one time some years ago that used those rules to reverse effect alot of spells. Vulnerable to Energy comes to mind, he played this whole "Dubuff mage" rout that was weird and powerful.

On the other hand, enhanced Reversed versions of some of the "Inflict Specific condition" type spells, Specically:
Paralysis (lesser) level 3.
Blind level 4 and
Mute Level 9
could all be used by a mage to cure these thing without resorting to implants wich cause PPE/ISP Loss.

Moving Freely
L5
Range: 60'
Duration: 1 min. per level
Saving Throw: none
PPE: 15
This spell lets a person suffering from paralysis of any sort to move freely throgh-out it's duration. If the paralysis is caused by an active magic spell, then this spell negates the paralysis for the duration of this spell. If the paralysis is physical in nature, then this spell acts to bridge the damaged nerves so the target can control their own limbs, deadening any pain they might of had due to the movment.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

TrumbachD wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Moving Freely
L5
Range: 60'
Duration: 1 min. per level
Saving Throw: none
PPE: 15
This spell lets a person suffering from paralysis of any sort to move freely throughout it's duration. If the paralysis is caused by an active magic spell, then this spell negates the paralysis for the duration of this spell. If the paralysis is physical in nature, then this spell acts to bridge the damaged nerves so the target can control their own limbs, deadening any pain they might of had due to the movement.

Great spell.
question: for a permanent fix, would you need to give up a Permanent PE point Like in the HU Revised version of "Restoration"?
(Although this line was dropped in the RUE Description of that spell)

For a perm fix you need healing magic or a good neurosurgeon.
Syndicate
Adventurer

Re: Upgrading Certain Spells

Unread post by Syndicate »

Orb of Cold

Range: 400ft (doubled)
Duration: same
Damage: 4D4 +2 per level (increased damage)
Saving throw: same
P.P.E.: 10
*upped to level 5*

*special* in addition to print, orb can be directed by channeling another 5 p.p.e. and is then +4 to strike (if the initial strike misses the mage can still expend the extra p.p.e and get a second shot at it!...but the damage is 1/2 rounded down).
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Syndicate
Adventurer

...this may have been done...

Magic Net
Range: 20ft per level (slight increase)
Duration: same
Saving throw: (higher than the mage's attack roll)
P.P.E.: 8 (slight increase)

Covers a 5ft + 2ft area per level
Net has 3 M.D.C. per level (takes 1/4 damage from blunt objects, full from sharp/bladed weapons, ranged attacks have a 45% chance of doing any damage and those inside always take 1/2 damage).
Those inside the net are -8 on all combat actions, lose 2 attacks, and are -25% on skill rolls (except escape artist which is -5%)

Mage is +2 to strike plus any P.P. bonuses and those from W.P. Net (if taken).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

L5 edit
Syndicate
Adventurer

TrumbachD wrote:
The Last Darkness wrote:I think all common invocations should have a look over. Most are fine while others need a Tweak.

The Temporal Magic in particular should be expanded.

In Particular it should allow travel to the past as well as the future, wich in canon it currently does not!
Also, there should be a temporal variant of the TW specializing in temporal Items.

Wonderful idea...

They did expand on the temporal magic in the newest dimensional book, but it's only a few new spells (though they are some pretty awesome invocations). I wonder if there is a new temporal magic thread out there?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”