magic potions

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

magic potions

Unread post by shiiv-a »

anyone care to give a thought to how much a magic potion would cost?

a flat rate straight across? by the level of actual spell for the potion? maybe a by the level of potion/spell x level of mage x potion cost?

i never could get a good answer. my char just ended up giving them away to pay for things .. like passage for herself, her gear and her horse.

oh .. yes the class in question DOES have the ability to make potions, and actually has a complete list of which ones. i just added a bit of color by giveing each a different look and taste.
i might post the ones she does/did make ... she's not in use anymore .. stuck on a ship in space ... probably doing a 'buck rogers' now ...
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Magic potions of what variety?

I know that Rifts: England contains several herbal potions (teas) which can be made, and I believe it includes approximate costs to buy them.

The other potions I know of are alchemical potions from Palladium fantasy, which list prices between 300 gold (cures most minor, non-magical ailments) and 3000 gold (allows you to turn into anything, except a mist form... and I would rule a dragon, as well).

There are likely others out there, but these are the two that jump to mind as broad-based examples of potions for you to look at.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mark Hall wrote:Magic potions of what variety?

I know that Rifts: England contains several herbal potions (teas) which can be made, and I believe it includes approximate costs to buy them.

The other potions I know of are alchemical potions from Palladium fantasy, which list prices between 300 gold (cures most minor, non-magical ailments) and 3000 gold (allows you to turn into anything, except a mist form... and I would rule a dragon, as well).

There are likely others out there, but these are the two that jump to mind as broad-based examples of potions for you to look at.

He means a scroll like poition, wherein you "Drink this and get X spell effect"
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre

Nekira Sudacne wrote:He means a scroll like poition, wherein you "Drink this and get X spell effect"

I'm not aware of any such canon potions (aside from those of the types listed above); my inclination would be half again to twice market value of a scroll of the same variety, since you don't have to be able to read to use them.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Mark Hall wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:He means a scroll like poition, wherein you "Drink this and get X spell effect"

I'm not aware of any such canon potions (aside from those of the types listed above); my inclination would be half again to twice market value of a scroll of the same variety, since you don't have to be able to read to use them.

It's not in cannon, but it's something logical enough I could immediatly see what he was getting at.

and I agree :) double scroll cost sounds reasonable.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

i can't access the list of potions as i have to cross reference them against something else. but as i said .. she's able to create the potions by casting the spell then the desired 'potion' spell .. and .. then we do the pour the fluid into the bottles with lids.

will have to go dig them out i guess .. if the interest is really there, but they belong to an occ that isn't 'book legal ... but still an interesting one to run
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

I usually check the back of my copy of the black vault.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

.... :-?

black vault?

*is obviously lost ...

verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

shiiv-a wrote:i can't access the list of potions as i have to cross reference them against something else. but as i said .. she's able to create the potions by casting the spell then the desired 'potion' spell .. and .. then we do the pour the fluid into the bottles with lids.

will have to go dig them out i guess .. if the interest is really there, but they belong to an occ that isn't 'book legal ... but still an interesting one to run

I'd love to see them. New potions? I love it.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

shiiv-a wrote:.... :-?

black vault?

*is obviously lost ...

It's where the Coalition States Keep various magic items they find, such as rune weapons, that they are unable to destroy outright.

The Black Vault

Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

black vault?

*is obviously lost ...

It's where the Coalition States Keep various magic items they find, such as rune weapons, that they are unable to destroy outright.

The Black Vault
Which makes me wonder why they couldn't just destroy the potions :|
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Scrud wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

black vault?

*is obviously lost ...

The Black Vault

How? Can't evaporate 'em. Breaking the bottles would just mean "magic poison" is on the loose.

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

I keep forgetting that guild o magik+psionics is an all games forum. ok, heres the dealio. info on potions are in palladium fantasy and in rifts england and black vault. Prices are in all books.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

COOL ...

now to get the funds together for the book ... hope the kid gets paid soon and takes over the bills ...

only in a perfect world i guess ...

=p

Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Scrud wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

black vault?

*is obviously lost ...

The Black Vault

How? Can't evaporate 'em. Breaking the bottles would just mean "magic poison" is on the loose.
High powered contained cremation chamber, I would imagine thats how a lot of magic things get destroyed.

-Not to mention the are the coalition I'm sure they have plenty of other well tested methods of destroying magical artifacts.

-What do you think those coalition rift scientists do all day sit on their hands and say "Well don't know what that is, and we can't risk destroying it, so lets just throw it in the vault."

-I suppose their is fear of the unknown involved, But they do support a strong anti-magic operation. It just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't throw such a seemingly harmless thing into the fire pit. Unfortunately it does seem that such simple destruction facilitys do not exist :(
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Scrud wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Scrud wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

black vault?

*is obviously lost ...

The Black Vault

High powered contained cremation chamber, I would imagine thats how a lot of magic things get destroyed.

-Not to mention the are the coalition I'm sure they have plenty of other well tested methods of destroying magical artifacts.

-What do you think those coalition rift scientists do all day sit on their hands and say "Well don't know what that is, and we can't risk destroying it, so lets just throw it in the vault."

-I suppose their is fear of the unknown involved, But they do support a strong anti-magic operation. It just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't throw such a seemingly harmless thing into the fire pit. Unfortunately it does seem that such simple destruction facilitys do not exist :(

Or maybe they're harder to destroy then you seem to think...

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

They feed them to lucky the slow mutant dog...
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

*sputters on laughter, then realizes that the comment was nasty and horrible ... but still funny ...

:-P

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

shiiv-a wrote:*sputters on laughter, then realizes that the comment was nasty and horrible ... but still funny ...

:-P

I know and I can't think of a single thing the mods can do to me about it.
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

rat ... yer crazy man .. just plain crazy ... its gonna killme with laughter one day .. but hey ... what a way to go

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Semisonic9 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Or maybe they're harder to destroy then you seem to think...

Throw them at the nearest Nega-psychic? Psi-Nullifier?

~Semi

Neither have any effect on potions in the first place. they can only negate spell magic as they're being activated.

Library Ogre

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Or maybe they're harder to destroy then you seem to think...

Eh, I'd be willing to bet potions are easily destroyed with a nice plasma bath; there's no reason for them to be the equivalent of rune weapons, nigh-invulnerable except for rare circumstances. Sufficient dilution probably works, too, though the CS probably doesn't do a lot of that.

All Palladium Articles
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

i would figure that the potion's magic activation would happen as soon as the lid is cracked and its swallowed. crack the lid and let it sit? .. the magic weakens and then just would basically become colored water or just mist itself out of existence.

and scrolls? .. unless they have been magicked against flame or fire .. would actually burn, and be rendered useless .. same with exposure to water or even vinegar or wine.

but what would i know? .. moisture would ruin ANY written material. and in PF world, they had papyrus and maybe lambskin parchment. in Rifts, it would be on standard paper .. and since its a single use lifespan, they would NOT take the time to protect it from damage, thus scroll cases were invented long ago ... along with oilskin fabric to protect against water damage.

but thanks for the interest on the potion cost.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”