Spell Question: Superhuman Strength

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Spell Question: Superhuman Strength

Unread post by JTwig »

Has this spell been updated to provide Supernatural Strength? I've noticed that a couple of times in the spell list of NPCs (in both Rifts and PFRPG) they have a listing for a spell called Supernatural Strength that is listed as being the same level as the Superhuman Strength spell. I only have the original Rifts core book and PFRPG 2nd edition for spell info, and don't own the Rifts Book of Magic (I presume that if it had been updated that it would have been in there).

Thanks.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

gadrin wrote:The incantation magically gives the character a Supernatural P.S. of 30 and a P.E. of 24, as well as adds 30 S.D.C./M.D.C. for the duration of the magic. Supernatural strength, endurance and bonuses last for the duration of the magic.

is that the one you're talking about ?

Ya, thanks. My rifts book just say raises/enhances (can't remember exact wording off the top of my head, but I know for sure that it does not say Supernatural) the recipient's strength.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Rifts Ultimate edition updated it and several other spells. It's the first place that clarified. Yes, it _IS_ Supernatural PS.

And also, as of Rifts Ultimate Edition, attacking no longer cancels invisibility. They even put that after a bolded note:
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If they are going to have a spell called SuperHuman PS then it should just give that...superhuman PS.

SuperNatural PS should be a seperate spell all together, costing more to cast.

As for the Catigories of PS they are:

normal PS
Extrodinary PS
Superhuman PS
SuperNatural PS

For you Rifts folk, both extrodinary ps and superhuman ps are squished into the Augmented PS for their MD rates. :rolleyes:
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Actually, the categories of strength include:
normal
augmented human
bionic
superhuman
extraordinary
robotic
supernatural

And there might be more. Anyway, it has been compacted somewhat; Skraypers explains that superhuman & extraordinary strength are equal to low-level supernatural strength, and bionic & augmented strength are largely the same I believe.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Talavar wrote:Actually, the categories of strength include:
normal
augmented human
bionic
superhuman
extraordinary
robotic
supernatural

And there might be more. Anyway, it has been compacted somewhat; Skraypers explains that superhuman & extraordinary strength are equal to low-level supernatural strength, and bionic & augmented strength are largely the same I believe.

After the Bomb introduces different strength categories too.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

normal
augmented human
bionic
superhuman
extraordinary
robotic
supernatural

A bit out of order aren't you.*sarcasm*

The reason I didn't list Robotic and bionic are easy. They are equivalent to normal PS, but they are what is available to lift after lifting themselves.

And as for Augmented PS, I take it you didn't read my entire post did you? Because I said the Augmented PS what ExPS and SHPS are in Rifts.

In the HU2 book it describes ExPS as still in the range of what humans can get to, but with out having to maintain the PS by working out. While SHPS is one notch below SNPS. Seance Scrapers is 1st ed HU, it is subject to the rules and discretion changes in HU 2nd ed.

As for the Animal PS category

Brute PS is just twice as good as normal PS.
Beastly PS is equivalent to ExPS.
Crushing PS is Equivalent to SNPS.

Notice, I used the word 'Equivalent' when describing BPS & CPS. This is because only creatures & beings that are Supernatural or a Creature of Magic and have true SNPS. This is significant when attacking certain creatures that can only be hurt by SNPS.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
normal
augmented human
bionic
superhuman
extraordinary
robotic
supernatural

The reason I didn't list Robotic and bionic are easy. They are equivalent to normal PS, but they are what is available to lift after lifting themselves.

And as for Augmented PS, I take it you didn't read my entire post did you? Because I said the Augmented PS what ExPS and SHPS are in Rifts.

Well, first, awesome snarkiness. Second, I did read your full post, it just wasn't right. Robotic PS can lift far more than normal PS, and can do mega-damage. Bionic PS is roughly equivalent to augmented PS. Extraordinary PS & Superhuman PS are also better in many ways than augmented PS; they can lift more for one thing, and they do mega-damage punches, as per low-end Supernatural PS. Augmented PS can at best do a tiny amount of MD on a power punch.

Also, Skraypers isn't HU 1st edition, it's a Rifts Dimension book. I know they're related settings, but it is a Rifts book about super-powers, not a HU book in space.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Talavar wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
normal
augmented human
bionic
superhuman
extraordinary
robotic
supernatural

Well, first, awesome snarkiness. Second, I did read your full post, it just wasn't right. Robotic PS can lift far more than normal PS, and can do mega-damage. Bionic PS is roughly equivalent to augmented PS. Extraordinary PS & Superhuman PS are also better in many ways than augmented PS; they can lift more for one thing, and they do mega-damage punches, as per low-end Supernatural PS. Augmented PS can at best do a tiny amount of MD on a power punch.

Also, Skraypers isn't HU 1st edition, it's a Rifts Dimension book. I know they're related settings, but it is a Rifts book about super-powers, not a HU book in space.

*nods*

Only the Conversion Book One Revised came out after Skraypers and changed several things.

Extrodanary PS is now equal to Agumented PS, Superhuman PS is Robotic PS, Supernatural PS is still supernatural.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Talavar wrote:Well, first, awesome snarkiness. Second, I did read your full post, it just wasn't right. Robotic PS can lift far more than normal PS, and can do mega-damage. Bionic PS is roughly equivalent to augmented PS. Extraordinary PS & Superhuman PS are also better in many ways than augmented PS; they can lift more for one thing, and they do mega-damage punches, as per low-end Supernatural PS. Augmented PS can at best do a tiny amount of MD on a power punch.

Oooooohh.. you ment RIFT's robotic PS and Rifts Bionic PS.....geee...so sorry for your confusion.

As for the Scrapers book.....Its a HU souce book that got slaped with the rifter logo, cause everybody knows its Rifts that Sells. I got the 1st printing, and was here on the boards when it came out so I know the whys and wherefors.

Its a HU sourcebook with Rifts/PW convertions. (My point of view and you can't change that)

Sence I am boured and burnt out on rifts, I ussuly come at things from a SDC/HP point of view, so what I said about the Bionic and Robotic still stand, becasue they are not defined as such in the hu books. If I'm incorrect then state book and page (and paragraph would be helpfull), to corroborate your statements.

NS, where are those equivalents found?
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

gadrin wrote:The incantation magically gives the character a Supernatural P.S. of 30 and a P.E. of 24, as well as adds 30 S.D.C./M.D.C. for the duration of the magic. Supernatural strength, endurance and bonuses last for the duration of the magic.

is that the one you're talking about ? if so, then I think the name of the spell is fooling you. :P

basically the old-old-old version didn't say. it does now though.

I have a question regarding this spell and others that raise your attributes to a certain level. If the characters attribute is actually higher than the spell grants. (Like above granting PE 24, but the character has a 30) do you lower the attribute to 24 or go with the highest number?
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

Lukterran wrote:

is that the one you're talking about ? if so, then I think the name of the spell is fooling you. :P

I have a question regarding this spell and others that raise your attributes to a certain level. If the characters attribute is actually higher than the spell grants. (Like above granting PE 24, but the character has a 30) do you lower the attribute to 24 or go with the highest number?

I would say go with the highest number, except for the strenght for this particular spell. A character with a normal strength of 34 would be reduced to a PS of 30, but it would now be supernatural (which makes a huge difference).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Lukterran wrote:

If the stat number granted by a spell is lower then the Stat the char already has, then ignor the lower number.

If the char has a normal PE of 24 or higher then the PE only becomes SN w/o any other bonuses. That is unless you are playing with an Evil GM, then the stat is lowered to 24. (See this all you evil GMs :p )
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Oooooohh.. you ment RIFT's robotic PS and Rifts Bionic PS.....geee...so sorry for your confusion.

It wasn't my confusion. If you want to pay attention to only one section of the Palladium books line (HU), more power to you, but don't expect other readers to know what you mean without explanation.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Talavar wrote:
It wasn't my confusion. If you want to pay attention to only one section of the Palladium books line (HU), more power to you, but don't expect other readers to know what you mean without explanation.

Other a single reference to Rifts in the opening post, there were none, till after my first post to this topic. So I took the vew that gave the correct & complete listing of the different levels of non-tech PS's. I even listed how the changed PS's were listed in rifts.

Besides there are more SDC world settings then rifts settings.

Or maybe, I'll just entice someone to actully move up and beyond rifts to actully, *gasp*, get a HU book or two.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”