Using miniatures in HU

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

leonmallett
Dungeon Crawler

Using miniatures in HU

Unread post by leonmallett »

Does anyone here use miniatures (paper, Heroclix, metal, other) in thier HU game, either regularly or occasionally?

For those that do, do you use:
- Blank terrain?
- Hexes?
- Squares?
- 3-D card buildings?
- any specific house rules?

I am planning to run a HU campaign in the near future and am interested in other HU players thoughts and experiences. Thanks in anticipation guys.

I know there have been some threads about similar things in the past:

Anyone using miniatures for HU?
Free Paper Miniatures

I am of course aware of a vaiety of manufacturers of superhero minis (Superfigs; Lance and Laser - Living Legends range; Black Hat Miniatures - Mutants and Madmen).
HU2 fan.
goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by goodhometownboy »

i prefer to use mintures.. it adds a bit of realizim to the fight and it gets rid of the question of where is everyone and am i there? i used the mats you can buy at any gaming store.. or the D&D ones work too.. i just lamaneted it and use dry erase markers. my group loves it.. just make sure that when you use it in HU that you get small tall things that you can put the minis on to show they are flying and that with super speed it gets a little hetic
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I have used miniatures as sort of place holders to work out position in a room, or similar things.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Spectre
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spectre »

I've taken to painting and modifying the heroclix figures (ask my open house players). I also use the large chessex vynal mat and a set of vis-a-vis markers.
I can be horribly visual sometimes. It also helps to keep position problems to a minimum.
"A little Rebellion now and then is a good thing." Thomas Jefferson
(To the tune of Ride of the Valkyries): Death and Destruction, Chaos and Carnage, Total Annailation Now!
300 Movie Geek Points
"I immediately regret this decision."- Jack Hare
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

Spectre wrote:I've taken to painting and modifying the heroclix figures (ask my open house players). I also use the large chessex vynal mat and a set of vis-a-vis markers.
I can be horribly visual sometimes. It also helps to keep position problems to a minimum.

this is a good idea
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

When my group used to game, I would bring my Hero Quest 2 set, allowing for us to have a flexible, tile based board, and use miniature sets and avatars so we could see where everything was located. Worked out alright for the most part, but did lead to some chuckles about placement and character selection ("how come I gotta be the elf chick? My character is a freaking TITAN Juicer!" "You rolled a two on the selection die, it was either that or the dwarf without his right arm."). Ahh; good times, good times.

We were rather hard on the miniatures though, and finally switched to pewter figurines. When we used the plastic pieces, we had a house rule that when a charcter died, you would have to destroy their figurine. We tended to play high powered games with a high level of fatality on both sides of the conflict, and it was getting expesive to replace all the broken figures (and Mom was getting PO'd about all the little bits and pieces of plastic in the carpet when she vacumed).
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
leonmallett
Dungeon Crawler

I have a couple of hundred supers styled minis that I have used in various games and in other games I have always found them useful, but accumulated those after the last HU2 campaign I ran (several years ago+), so haven't used them for HU.
Last edited by leonmallett on Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
HU2 fan.
leonmallett
Dungeon Crawler

BlackJackal wrote:It's taken some time, but my friends and I use custom painted and modified metal miniatures to represent our characters. When you put a lot of time and attention into creating something truly special, it's awesome to have a solid, three-dimensional representation of it. Plus they look REALLY cool when they are on display. I've found that Superfigs make ideal super-hero minis that can be modified relatively painlessly to fit just about anything you could want. But my favorites have always come from Reaper-stock.

My collection of supers minis comes from:
Superfigs
Black Hat
Lance and Laser (the Garrity minis are in scale with Superfigs)
Silver Age Sentinels range (also Garrity)
Old Golden Heroes (scale matches well) - Citadel/GW from ebay
Old Grenadier Champions (quite a few fit in scale)
Some mid-90s Champions figures (slottas - Swords and Sorcery?)
Reaper
Heresy
Hasslefree
and other small manufacturers
HU2 fan.
Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

Movement

Unread post by Sir_Nytehawk357 »

How do you figure out the movement rate for Chars when your using the Mini's
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Sheet after sheet of graph paper that you can quickly overlay aas characters traverse areas. The tricky part comes in where characters are in different parts of the city. But then you can set up two tables and limit what heroes know of the others' whereabouts. Depends on the amount of space you have set up for the game.
I do not use figures but do use markers when needed. I have decided that is necessary to avouid arguements about movement rates. As for visuals in the game, I draw illustrations to show pictures of what characters are facing and major NPCs when necessary.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”