Open and Exclusive Spell Magic.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razorwing
Hero

Open and Exclusive Spell Magic.

Unread post by Razorwing »

Okay I've been going through the Rifts Book of Magic, trying to figure out which types of magic are Exclusive (as in can only be learned by specific OCCs) and which ones are Open (can be learned by many OCCs). The reason for this is that some of my players wish to expand beyond the normal Incantations they commonly learn (such as into Necro-Magic). I figured that if I knew which types of magic can be learned by various practioners and which ones are Exclusive to specific OCCs, I'd be more able to accomidte my players.

Note- this only inculdes forms of magic that contain actual spells, not special abilities that use PPE to power (or other limiting forms pow magical power).

So far the I've noted the following Exclusive forms of magic: Biomancy, Bio-Wizardry, Cloud Magic, Dolphin Magic, Elemental Magic, Korallyte Shaping (can be used by some full Wizards), Living Fire Magic, Nature Magic, Ocean Magic, Native America Shamanistic Magic, Spoiling Magic, Whale Singer Spellsongs.

The following forms of magic are open to any Practicioner of magic (that can learn spells at any time): Blue Flame (must learn from Larhold Barbarians), Invocations, Nazcan Line Magic, Necro-Magic, Rift/Ley Line magic, Temporal Magic.

Now I know that the Book of Magic does not contain all know forms of magic (not even all the forms practiced on Rifts Earth). If there is any form of magic that I've missed (including forms not known to Rifts Earth), fell free to add them to the list (state the type of magic, wheter it is exclusive or open*, and which book the magic can be found in). It doesn't matter how rare the magic is, just that there is some chance that a group of adventureres could stumble across it at some point (even if they have to rift to another place/world to do so).

*Note- in order for a magic to be considered open, it must state that it is able to be leared by practicioners of magic other than the OCC that most commonly uses it (if if such practioners have to pay higher PPE costs than the usuall OCC). Additionally, like above, it must have actual spells, not powers activated by PPE.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Ah, but Diabalism and Circle magic were not discribed in the Book of Magic. Now, I belive they might be in the Rifts Conversion Book, but I'm not sure if they would be on the Exclusive or Open Magic List (leaning to the Exclusive Magic List considering their specialized nature).

Any other Magics not found in the Book of Magic?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

When you're talking actual spell magic (not diabolism and summoning; I'll talk about those in a moment), there's really very little a "generalist" (i.e. wizard or ley line walker) can't cast in some way, shape, or form. However, they have to reverse engineer it... start from "This magic does this" and create a spell that does that. Their version might be higher level, higher PPE, and less versatile, but they can do it.

Essentially, that's what Necromancers and the like have to do when they learn non-related Invocations... they have to learn a version that works with Necromancy, which increases the cost.

Diabolism, summoning, and the like, are a special case. A spell can't really do those things. However, they can emulate them... i.e. the Wards spell, or the various summoning and protective circle spells. These are not precisely like the full schools of magic, but they can do the job.

Invocations have a great flexibility over other forms of magic... which usually have power, duration, and lower PPE costs.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Fleshsculpting, Exclusive, Through the Glass Darkly.

Mirror Magic, Open*, Through the Glass Darkly.
*If figured out by another OCC, costs twice as much PPE.

Trickster Card Magic, Exclusive*, Rifter 9-1/2
Ludicrous Magic, Exclusive*, Rifter 9-1/2
*No direct mention of being usable by other OCCs, and the GM should scrutinize players interested in Ludicrous Magic carefully before allowing. :wink:

Spatial Magic, Exclusive*, Rifter 3 and 5.
*don't have Rifter 3 on hand ATM, but I believe that is correct.

Space Magic, Open, Rifter 10

Chaos Magic, Open, Rise of Magic.

That's all I can think of off hand. Also quite a bit of random sorcerer/wizard spells sprinkled around out there.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”