Book Id like to see

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ridley
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ridley »

yes it would be nice. After all, isnt most of rifts about salvaging and trying to rise from the ashes of the appocalypse? It would be nice to know just exaclty what the players may come across.
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

I have always wanted a small book of vehicles whether they are cars, off road vehicles or even hover craft that are non combat oriented. Just transports. I know there are some here and there scattered in the books but a big compiled book or non combat vehicles would be cool to me.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

a sourcebook full of non-weapon tech would be nice
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:a sourcebook full of non-weapon tech would be nice

I'd love that! Information about communications, computers, video, healthcare, entertainment, transportation!

*shiver*

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

Subjugator wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:a sourcebook full of non-weapon tech would be nice

I'd love that! Information about communications, computers, video, healthcare, entertainment, transportation!

*shiver*

/Sub

YES!

Rifts, for the time it's been around, needs more Fluff and less Crunch type technology. We don't need more weapons and power armor to "flesh out" Rifts, we need normal everyday stuff and information on peoples every day lives.

Of course, the hardest part is to present the information without cutting your hand off (like how they gave "specs" on the hand held PCs in the RMB1, that was funny!).
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Subjugator

Phadeout wrote:Of course, the hardest part is to present the information without cutting your hand off (like how they gave "specs" on the hand held PCs in the RMB1, that was funny!).

Don't give hard numbers for capacities.

Examples:

Crystal clear resolution versus 4096x3276 pixels on a side
Amazing sound reproduction versus Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound
Ability to store vast amounts of data versus 10EB of storage
Extraordinary battery life versus 48 hours on a single charge
Astonishing processing power versus 400,000,000 FLOPS

If you're going to use specifics - go absolutely overboard:

"The maximum screen resolution of this screen being turned on results in 1,125,899,906,842,624 pixels being displayed simultaneously. Each pixel can display a color different from any other being displayed at the same time on that screen."
"Full and accurate surround sound with as many as 1,048,576 sounds played simultaneously"
"768EB of physical memory, with an additional 20ZB of permanent storage"
"Two years of full battery life, with a full year of limited use on the same charge, on a battery that is size of your pinky nail."
"Th processor installed in this laptop, when operating at 60% capacity, can handle an estimated 4.e+42 floating point operations per second."

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

only give specific stats if the item is intentionally comparable to modern stuff. for example, while golden age laptops are all probably multi-core compact stuff with power similar to a modern supercomputer, a computer built after the rifts might only be comparable to todays Dells or Packards, due to the loss of technology and manufacturing tech in most area's. they literally wouldn't be able to duplicate the high tech golden age stuff without the nano-assemblers or whatnot, and have to produce the computer equivilent of "stone knives and bearskins"

thats why i never laughed at the specifics given in books, i remember that RIFTS has plenty of Lostech, and that stuff made after the rifts often combines multiple generaqtions of technology into one device. a post rifts computer might be a dual core multi-terahertz processor, but might have a CD-rom, only a few hundred gigs of RAM, and may only have a black and white cathode ray tube monitor.

or you might see a holographic display hooked up to modern Dell. heck, how many rifts computer geeks in less developed area's wired up hundreds of old X-box's into a nueral net for their computer needs?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Subjugator

glitterboy2098 wrote:only give specific stats if the item is intentionally comparable to modern stuff. for example, while golden age laptops are all probably multi-core compact stuff with power similar to a modern supercomputer, a computer built after the rifts might only be comparable to todays Dells or Packards, due to the loss of technology and manufacturing tech in most area's. they literally wouldn't be able to duplicate the high tech golden age stuff without the nano-assemblers or whatnot, and have to produce the computer equivilent of "stone knives and bearskins"

...but a lot of places have those high tech nano-assemblers. The differences in technology between a robot made by NG or Triax and a robot by ARCHIE are not that great. That tells me that the relatively small differences may be significantly more difficult.

Anyway, lots of places have significant pre-Rifts or better technology:

Chi-Town, Triax, Hiroshima, ARCHIE, Lone Star, Quebec, the two big cities in Oz, the Megaversal Legion, Phase World, Archons, Vernulians, Mutants in Orbit, and a bunch of other people have significant high technology.

/Sub

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

I could stand to read this. It'd probably make for a two or three book set.

1) Construction Vehicles & Buildings:
A few maps of typical buildings will save GM's time and a few easily modifiable city maps won't hurt either. this would likely include a section on special technolgy for hospital and a transit system for fluff (with a city builder included.)

2) Vehicles and transportation:
Basicly a Riggers guide for rifts. a list various vehicles form Golden age and a basic model on a public transit systems inner workings for fluff. (with a random vehicle generator to boot)

3) City Books:
a book with a city fully lade out. the city could be real or just made up...but I'd have to think about this part a bit. It seems a good way to map Lazlo, Tolkeen, Psyscape, and other cities.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Agreed...more medical technology(if only for an excuse to give PCs a second chance)..
Micro-Facs...
Adapted 'Green" technologies...

To begin with, I often mix hand-cranked small electrical appliances in with the usual battery-powered types available to PC(I have a hand-cranked LED flashlight and radio...they're not the best in terms of performance, but they don't need batteries that go dead, and I imagine Golden Age technology would have improved on their efficiency)...

I also like the idea of a battlecry: "FOR A HIGHER STANDARD OF LIVING!!!!!"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

duck-foot wrote:id love to see a book on cro-mag tech, why because rifts is supposed to be post polcalyptic, and other than a few books, its lost that feeling damnit. no more high technology (after triax 2, ofcourse ;) )

so has i said no more high tech!!!!!!!

well were not asking for more the same old, just to put into an easy to use series, That means I don't need a dozen books to get a few basic facts.

as for older and odd 'tech' that too could be a good read...I'd love to have my Psi-tech make Catapults and ballista. :D
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Reddenedone
Adventurer

Unread post by Reddenedone »

That would be wonderful, with all major ley lines fleshed out!
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Josh Hilden wrote:I want a hardcover, full color atlas of the world.

:)

Ya we discussed this a little while back. The concensus was that a computer based "Google Earth" style browser would be best. If only one of the programmer types out there would get on that... :P
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Want to know why I love coming to this section of the forums? Every week there's a new topic out there where people are asking for something from my book :D.

Yes, in the world book I'm doing, I'm covering things like survival gear, non-military vehicals, modern technology, and even fleshing out some of the skills out there that need some fleshing out (boat building, carpentry, stone masonry, ect :) ) with some actual construction rules, covering everything from availability of tools, and materials, to total time and estimated expiration date (how long something will last against the elements).

Incidentally, my book would have been on Kevin's desk, had I not missed one of the minor notes in the front of New West that canceled out a lot of what I had already written location wise, but I'm getting there.
Reddenedone
Adventurer

Unread post by Reddenedone »

Well, keep up the good work. It's definitely appreciated. :D
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.

Incidentally, I got a message from KS today. They liked most of the Rifter0 submissions and the cover. They've been busy but it's almost back to being in my court for finishing that little project up.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

duck-foot wrote:a book on the Fractured Dimension. that dude that run that town in the first sourcebook that the little cyborge dude takes you to got his magical cybrntics from there.

Wasn't that just somewhere in the PFRPG world?
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Prince Artemis wrote:
duck-foot wrote:a book on the Fractured Dimension. that dude that run that town in the first sourcebook that the little cyborge dude takes you to got his magical cybrntics from there.

Wasn't that just somewhere in the PFRPG world?

Actually, they never specified what world he was from. Sure, it had phonetic similarities, but they still never specified.

I'm not sure if this is different in the revised edition.

~ Josh

Return to “Rifts®”