magic per class

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

magic per class

Unread post by shiiv-a »

now i got a small problem grasping the concept of something.

when an OCC that uses magic states in the OCC - 'class specific' ... is anyone that is of higher level that observes the spell or ritual in action able to 'learn it'?

i'm asking to make sure that I have it clear in the mind.

thanks for the input guys .. err .. peoples.
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: magic per class

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

shiiv-a wrote:now i got a small problem grasping the concept of something.

when an OCC that uses magic states in the OCC - 'class specific' ... is anyone that is of higher level that observes the spell or ritual in action able to 'learn it'?

i'm asking to make sure that I have it clear in the mind.

thanks for the input guys .. err .. peoples.

absolutely not. It takes 2 days per level of the spell to learn it no matter the level of the learner. You can NEVER learn a spell just by "watching"
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yes, there is magic that can not be learned by other mage classes. Mirror magic, fleash sculpter magic for cannon speciality magic. Bardic, spatial, dwenomer magics are some optional specilty magics.

Caviote, yes some can be converted by spending time reasurching the spells, to incantaions but are a +5 levels, along with the PPE hikes that go alonge with the levels. See Through the glass Darkly for details.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

alright .. so basically .. any 'class restricted' magic remains that .. regardless of WHAT the level a person is?

cool ... thats basically all i needed to know
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

House Rule: Each "tradition" has it's own customs and language. So while soem things may seem familiar between two schools, they would not be able to copy each other as the way cloud magic is performed completely different than necromancy ect
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

shiiv-a wrote:alright .. so basically .. any 'class restricted' magic remains that .. regardless of WHAT the level a person is?

cool ... thats basically all i needed to know

Weeeelllll... strictly speaking, yes. However, a mage who encounters a class-restricted form of magic could research a variation that is legal for his class, though the resulting magic will generally be of a higher level than the original, and probably cost more P.P.E. As usual, rules for this can be found in TtGD.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

good to know.

sadly tho .. you DID kill my fun about it staying 'unique' ... =p

shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

thats true.

makes for interesting 'oh teach me that' .. and the mage in question just shrugs 'sorry i can't .. not allowed to teach outsiders'

something along that line .. but still kinda cool.

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Gravitus Everlast wrote:Then there's always WRITING YOUR OWN SPELLS... this can get fun and deadly quick...

hehe... Muwahaha! :demon:
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

you know what I like to do? Give the players spells on scrolls by vindictive wizards who KNOW some nosy adventuring kids and their dogs are going to raid their tombs or treasure rooms. So of course the answer is to create scrolls anyone can use and call them spells of ultimate destruction, or some other enticing label and when they cast it something horrible happens to them, change of gender, race, localized fireballs, localized mind wipes etc.
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

jeepers .. that is cruel .. but kinda funny

i've seen my share of 'mages' grab an obvious spell book and plunk down in a chair and read the whole game away. well most of hte game away, just so they can continue to game in another game online. i tried that for a while, and found i can't do it. at least NOT in different game rooms on the same night.

i am currently doing that with 2 oddball char types. 2 in the same game on the same site, digichat here. on Sunday.

but i can see the underestimated '**** u' scroll thing happening.

one last question on the scroll tho. can one *studies scroll*, does that pass as 'triggering it'?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”