Noob TW Question.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

asajosh
Hero

Re: Noob TW Question.

Unread post by asajosh »

Chromejuggalo wrote:Geez i've been playing for years I'm suprised it's never came up before but can a non psychic or non mage, use a Techno Wizard device, that has already been charged by a psychic or mage?

Yes.
Chromejuggalo wrote:What about the TW weapons that have a TW clip?

Yes.

And welcome to the Forums!
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Chromejuggalo wrote:Geez i've been playing for years I'm suprised it's never came up before but can a non psychic or non mage, use a Techno Wizard device, that has already been charged by a psychic or mage? What about the TW weapons that have a TW clip?

No.

Page 126 of the Rifts Ultimate Edition "Another advantage is that people who are not psychic or mystically oriented can NOT (sic) operate the device at all." There's similar language in the original Rifts book.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Mark Hall wrote:
Chromejuggalo wrote:Geez i've been playing for years I'm suprised it's never came up before but can a non psychic or non mage, use a Techno Wizard device, that has already been charged by a psychic or mage? What about the TW weapons that have a TW clip?

No.

Page 126 of the Rifts Ultimate Edition "Another advantage is that people who are not psychic or mystically oriented can NOT (sic) operate the device at all." There's similar language in the original Rifts book.

<Hangs head in shame>
I admit it, I slipped. My bad. :oops:
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

Chromejuggalo wrote: can a non psychic or non mage, use a Techno Wizard device, that has already been charged by a psychic or mage?

Nop.
Chromejuggalo wrote: What about the TW weapons that have a TW clip?

Yep.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Mark Hall wrote:
No.

Except a handful of pages later they provide one of a number of exceptions to that rule, the TW Light Blade powered by lifesource. It explicitly says that it's for use by non-psychic/magic characters, as have a number of items over years, like items powered by TW clips, and the exception for people trained since childhood to make use of low-cost TW items.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Talavar wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
No.

Except a handful of pages later they provide one of a number of exceptions to that rule, the TW Light Blade powered by lifesource. It explicitly says that it's for use by non-psychic/magic characters, as have a number of items over years, like items powered by TW clips, and the exception for people trained since childhood to make use of low-cost TW items.

Right; there are exceptions, but the rule is that non-psychic non-mages cannot normally use TW items.
Unless the item is designed for use by normal people.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Can a non psychic or non mage, use a Techno Wizard device, that has already been charged by a psychic or mage?
With basic TW items, No Non-PSIs and NON-Mages and Non-CoM/SN Can Not use TW Items no matter what. This was part of the Concept of the TW class, they made stuff that only the mystical (psi's/mages/SN/CoM) could use.

To be useable by anyone they have to be constructed with a power sorce and with the ability to be used by anyone.

What about the TW weapons that have a TW clip?
A PPE clip TW weapon does not mean anyone can use them, it just means that the mysticals don't have to power them from their own PPE.
The Tw Item would need in its discription that it can be used by anyone.

Therefore, that borg that just happens apon a deathbringer can not access its higher functions, its only a magic sword to him.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The first TW weapons that could be used by anyone were made in StormSpire.[/color]

Not unless they went back and changed things in newer editions of FoM.
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I don't have the funds to get every updated book PB makes into a revised edition.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I don't have the funds to get every updated book PB makes into a revised edition.

Me either.
So as far as I know, Stormspire weapons are unusable by mundanes.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

They are unusuable. Some people think just because they come with built-in PPE batteries anyone can use them. it's not so.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Ok, then I'll edit my prvious post then..ty NS.
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

While TW weapons can be made to be used by anyone, the 'standard' (I use the term hesitantly) TW item can not be used by just anyone. That doesn't mean you can't take any old TW item to a TW and get them to make it so anyone can use it - they can do it and like money. Unless they are too busy, don't like you, or don't want to create weapons that can be used against them, etc.. If there was every to be a war of normals vs. those able to use these devices..why would they want to give you a weapon to use against them? So for a variety of reasons the default is..not usable by normal people.

IMHO the idea was that TW items would be non-standardized (more fun) and not mass produced (much like rune weapons :) However people need ideas and PB sells books, so we get books with both TW weapons (which are generally used as standardized) and rune weapons (which have gone from ultra-rare to something to give your dog instead of a bone)...but I'm not at all peeved about the later :rolleyes:
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Gravitus Everlast wrote:Right... you have to be mystic/psi able in order to ACTIVATE the power within... My bullets still work though, all they need is for the primer to be set off.

Yep, your TW rounds are made to be used by anyone.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Chromejuggalo wrote:Thanks I think you definately answered my question. That all makes sense and explains why it reads(somewhere) that sometimes children or others with high PPE can sometimes use TW items. I assume only sometimes is because the item would already have to be activated to be of any use as the untrained child would have no idea how to pump it's PPE into it.Thanks again.

Children and pump PPE into it as well if it's low enough: it's an intutive thing, children and animals are more sensitive to the supernatural and all that.

Also: there IS a rule that if a young person uses TW from a young age and grows up using them constantly, he still can even after he's an adult even if he's not a mage or psychic or chi master. Meaning that he can still use them as long as their charged already (sinse an adults 2d6 PPE isn't enough for a lot), or if they have stormspire-style PPE clips.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”