Lord Magus Limitations

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Lord Magus Limitations

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Zuari wrote:In federation of magic book page 77 it has the list for spell progression for the lord magus, but can they learn additional spell as in the pursuit of magic rule for shifter and ley line walker. I ask this fro Lord magus, but I true need the ruling for all the magus as I have true player going down that path now. {One Lord Magus and One Battle Magus}, in addition, the party also has a shifter. They are all trying to teach each other spells.

No, the Lord Magus is limited by what spells they learn by their progression. None of the Magi can, cep't for maybe one or two. Their own respective arts and progression are too rigorus. If they took the time out to learn spells in that manner, they couldn't progress in their own area.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Zuari wrote:In federation of magic book page 77 it has the list for spell progression for the lord magus, but can they learn additional spell as in the pursuit of magic rule for shifter and ley line walker. I ask this fro Lord magus, but I true need the ruling for all the magus as I have true player going down that path now. {One Lord Magus and One Battle Magus}, in addition, the party also has a shifter. They are all trying to teach each other spells.

I'm not sure about the Lord Magus, but with the Battle Magus I would leave upt to to the GM to determine. The wording is very fuzzy, it seems to imply that they can learn spells at anytime at a level normally beyond what they learn automatically, but very few bother to do so.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Their is nothing limiting them. Though a normal N.P.C. would not learn any addition because of their life. A P.C. will be out in world and would be able to learn new spells.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

U.S.Advanced Recon wrote:As a battle magus why would you bother to do so??? the one thing they are trained for is war........ and they get more than enough spells to do this, Maybe in the higher levels 9-12 they might start learning other spells due to the infrequant leveling but only spells that might be "needed" for the campain they are in.

Lord Magus I see learning a few spells outside their own level progression but same as the battle magus I don't really see a need for it.

Your absolutely right, the average Lord Magus or Battle Magus wouldn't bother learning more than a handful of extra spells. But the game would be rather boring if the PCs were average. I'd personally let them learn a spell with significant justification. Now I wouldn't let it get out of had, a Lord Magus or Battle Magus with an as varied or diverse spell selection as a Ley Line Walker would potentially unbalancing. But a Battle Magus who wanted to learn a few extra healing spells, or who happened to travel to another dimension (such as PFRPG) and wanted to learn a spell or two while there would be acceptable with me.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

I see these kind of limitations more as guidelines than limitations.
The Lord Magus fully knows the workings of magic and can potentially learn any spell he has access to, its just generally they won't.
The Lords of Magic don't want them to learn spells beyond level 10 (excluding spells of illusion) and that is an ideal the Lord Magus accepts but anything can happen.
As long as the Lord Magus retains his free will he can learn any spell he desires as long as he is no longer in the service of Dweomer.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

That why I never played ley-line walkers to weak, compared to other classes. A little bit like the vegabond of magic users.

If they didn't why you to learn addition spells they would have made them mystics so they couldn't learn new spells. Like the mystic knight said can't be taught addition spells. Since their is no such text they can learn spells.

Yes, it is unfair, but since when has any of the classes/characters been balanced. That is what makes RIFTS so great is the verying powerlevel of characters and ideas for characters.

The Lords of Magic don't want them to learn spells beyond level 10 (excluding spells of illusion). Yes they are limited for some reason though I have no idea(back to unfair) they are limited. So yes they can learn spells, but only levels 1-10.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

While I'm still not sure if the Lord Magus can learn spells above 10th level, I'm pretty sure that the Battle Magus can learn spells above their current level and in addition to their normal spell progression at level advancement. Pg 72 of FoM say "Most Battle Magi will not actively seek to learn spells above and beyond thos provided through their career, and the few that do seldom pick up more than a handful (1d4+4 maximum)." That seems to be pretty clear, for the Battle Magus at least.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Ley line walkers are too weak? They get more PPE than anybody, and can learn the most spells.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Bloodspray wrote:
gadrin wrote:in Rifts the Ley Line Walker is the "master spellcaster" unless you build some ungodly combination using something else.

LLWs get the most PPE to start, but they only gain new spells equal to their own level (and only 1 per each leveling), unless they purchase it (ie, go somewhere and pay someone to teach them).

Temporal Wizards have access to Temporal Magic, which tends to be far more potent, and they can select from any level, as well as from Temporal Magic, gaining 1 from each category.

I'd say that the Temporals are actually more "powerful" than LLWs, just less generalized, and with less PPE, however they are also less Ley Line specialized than the LLW too (which can be seen as another advantage over LLWs).

LLWs are probably going to end up with more spells than most of the classes that simply get spells on leveling up because they can learn them when and however, unlike mystics, warlocks, etc. A temporal wizard is pretty powerful, but they have less PPE, can draw less on a ley line, and have some negative modifiers inherent in the class as well.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Bloodspray wrote:
gadrin wrote:in Rifts the Ley Line Walker is the "master spellcaster" unless you build some ungodly combination using something else.

LLWs get the most PPE to start, but they only gain new spells equal to their own level (and only 1 per each leveling), unless they purchase it (ie, go somewhere and pay someone to teach them).

Actually, RUE beefed them up. Ley Line walkers learn 2 spells per level now. One equal to or less than their own level (any), and 1 from one of two lists of specalties that allow for powerful magics right away. (Are from a varaity of levels.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”