How do you do spell combat?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: How do you do spell combat?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Boone Son of Apollo wrote:UE says "When firing off a Level 1-5 invocation...The low level spell counts as ONE of the character's melee attacks". It goes on to say a 1-5 can be popped off while under direct attack, and futher to say if he is successfully defending himself against pressed attack he can't get off a higher level spell.

I find it unfeasible to get off any spell low to high if under attack. A mage would need to collect his thoughts, speak the enhantment, and motion with hand gestures all in three to four seconds while being hammered by flying projectiles or physical attack. What do you all think?

First of all, hand motions are not required; many use them, but they are not, strictly, required.

Secondly, this is more in line with a dodge or a non-automatic parry. Instead of getting out of the way, the mage quickly rattles off a spell to protect themselves... throwing up an Energy Field, or Armor of Ithan, so they don't get hit.

Can you cast magic while holding an item or weapon?

Does magic stay in effect after the casting mage dies?

1) Yes, though ritual magic is more of a grey area.
2) Yes, unless otherwise stated (though some magics, those requiring direction, may be less effective.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Boone Son of Apollo wrote:Does magic stay in effect after the casting mage dies?

No, it ends. Even being put a sleep or put into a coma will cancel it. Not including perm magic.
Library Ogre

Mouser13 wrote:
Boone Son of Apollo wrote:Does magic stay in effect after the casting mage dies?

No, it ends. Even being put a sleep or put into a coma will cancel it. Not including perm magic.

Do you have a source for that? The note on "Canceling Magic" in the RUE does not say that, and I can't find it elsewhere, in my (admittedly brief) search of other books.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

THough it was in RIFTS Book of magic and the main book, but will have to look for it.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

I was looking, and the only thing I could find was that dragons can't keep their form during sleep. So I'm thinking my mind I may have extended that to all magic in my mind. I will keep looking though.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Boone Son of Apollo wrote:I find it unfeasible to get off any spell low to high if under attack. A mage would need to collect his thoughts, speak the enhantment, and motion with hand gestures all in three to four seconds while being hammered by flying projectiles or physical attack. What do you all think?

I think it's like reading a novel where the author has decided magic works in so and so way.

Buying a gaming system and yet expecting to be the primary author of how things work in the game world is a bit of a contradiction.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Could always resort to P.P.E. Channeling from the Rifter. Solves all kinds
of problems.
AllMightyRCB
Wanderer

Unread post by AllMightyRCB »

Well a tornado from warlock magic keeps going if the mage isn't concious, he just can't controll where it goes anymore. I always just have it 2 actions to cast a spell regardless of spell level, as long as the mage can speak. So if you're fighting a mage, just keep a bag of sand with you to throw in his face when he starts casting. It's the poor adventurer's "negate magic."
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Boone Son of Apollo wrote:UE says "When firing off a Level 1-5 invocation...The low level spell counts as ONE of the character's melee attacks". It goes on to say a 1-5 can be popped off while under direct attack, and futher to say if he is successfully defending himself against pressed attack he can't get off a higher level spell.

I find it unfeasible to get off any spell low to high if under attack. A mage would need to collect his thoughts, speak the enhantment, and motion with hand gestures all in three to four seconds while being hammered by flying projectiles or physical attack. What do you all think?

Also two side questions:

Can you cast magic while holding an item or weapon?

Does magic stay in effect after the casting mage dies?

To simulate that random element of combat conditions my group rolls a D20 when casting spells. Just like regular combat a 1-4 fumbles the spell. You'd be surprised how often this happens and can add a new element to the game such as "I hope I can get this spell off!"

As for your questions...

We don't use hand gestures as part of the spell so it would be allowed. As for the second question we've always played it that when the mage dies so does his spell unless it specifically says otherwise. Since a make can cancel a spell instantly there is that connection between the mage and the spell.

At least that's how we play it.

Carl
ImageImage
Library Ogre

Carl Gleba wrote:To simulate that random element of combat conditions my group rolls a D20 when casting spells. Just like regular combat a 1-4 fumbles the spell. You'd be surprised how often this happens and can add a new element to the game such as "I hope I can get this spell off!"

A couple riffs off of this...

First of all, one thing I've suggested is to replace static spell strength with rolling a d20 +2 +spell strength bonuses against the other person's save vs. magic, just like a strike roll (the +2 gives you an average of about 12 without spell strength bonuses). If it's a spell that normally has a static dodge, change that to a strike bonus... fireball, which requires an 18, becomes a +8 to strike.

All Palladium Articles
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rogue Scientist wrote:As a practical matter, mages in Rifts needed some "instant" spells for defense and combat. The original system was too slow, and mages were at a prettty big disadvantage most of the time.

Literally speaking, however, I don't find it hard to understand someone casting short spells in combat. People talk in the middle of fights all the time. Even if someone's smacking you around upside the head, or throwing you into a headlock, you can usually get off a few words in retort. Just imagine those words have the ability to summon up a suit of mystical armor or fry your assailant with a fireball and you're good to go! :lol:

At the current level of power creep, many mages have 5-9 attacks, which really places each action at 2-3 seconds, not 3-4. Time yourself...how quickly can you string together a few words, especially if your life depends on getting them right? I know I could shout out a "Clatto, Verata, Nicto" in a hurry if that's what it took to save my bacon.

Or just convert armor of ithan from PFRGP, which level one mages are very powerfull, because 180 S.D.C. +10 per level.
I always wonder why they reduce the amount of protection, but then again I though it was a little over powering in PFRPG.
Library Ogre

Mouser13 wrote:Or just convert armor of ithan from PFRGP, which level one mages are very powerfull, because 180 S.D.C. +10 per level.
I always wonder why they reduce the amount of protection, but then again I though it was a little over powering in PFRPG.

Armor of Ithan has been converted. 10 mdc/level.

All Palladium Articles

Return to “Rifts®”