Pc with TWO RUNE ITEMS ..help ..

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Pc with TWO RUNE ITEMS ..help ..

Unread post by Lenwen »

What kind of penalties or how would you guys treat some one who has TWO rune items on them an is thier owner . thus bonded with both of them .. ? I have a small problem allowing any person to have a Greater rune item let alone TWO !! MOST Gods do not even one let alone two , got me a new PC who says his been allowed this by his old GM an would like to continue its use I have told him to play an alternate Charecter for now until I did some reserch to see if anything could be said one way or another and cant seem to find any rullings on this in any books that I currently own . Is this adressed in any of the forums ? if so please link me to them and if not what are your opinions perhaps one or the other his choice or what ?

-Lenwen.
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

i seem to remember some ruling that you couldnt bond with more than one rune item unless they were a set, like twin axes or armor.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Pc with TWO RUNE ITEMS ..help ..

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Lenwen wrote:What kind of penalties or how would you guys treat some one who has TWO rune items on them an is thier owner . thus bonded with both of them .. ?

1. "My old GM allowed this character" ranks right up there with "I lost my virginity years ago. You don't know her; she's Canadian."
Don't buy it.
And even if it's true, that's no reason for you to give him what he wants.

2. A rune-weapon bond is an intimate relationship.
How would you handle a PC who was trying to juggle living with two different women at once?
I don't see it ending well for him.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Thanks peeps I knew I am a Decent GM as far as lettin my pc's get away with a bit of munch but not even Gods I create get a rune weapon right away ... let alone TWO ! I will go with him "possibly getting one" in our comming runs but not either one of the two HE seems to have created . Thank you again for your imput folks .

As always .
-Lenwen.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Misfit KotLD wrote:So these rune weapons aren't anything canon? I'd ponder seriously before allowing either in that case.

Or just say, "I'll allow them, but I might make some changes."

Because every Rune Weapon should have an interesting curse or two...

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Personally, their is no rules that say a person can't have more then one. Though not forsure I will have to check but does thor use three his hammer, belt, and gloves? Though personally I don't know about the use of two weapons it does sound a little crazy.
Though if you are a roll player I would make him look crazy has he is talking to his two rune weapons and they are being mad because they are not being used.

Personally just say no. I have going to have to say no this weekend to a player in D&D over his custom character from another DM.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Aye . I told him the Rune weapon he created he say's he dident but I highly suspect that . general stats ; IQ;18 natural abilities for a grtr rune item its shaped like a Tomahawk and does 3d4x10 dam can be tossed 2500ft mgcly returns an has a 1-24% chance of healing the PC for the dammage last inflicted . That is insain in my opionion for his toon he is a level , 3 lyn srial. bit much for low level if you ask me not to mention it does not even have a curse on it .. I had to get ahold of him to get the stats an abilities so I could post them here for your guys imput .

As always ..

-Lenwen.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Lenwen wrote:Aye . I told him the Rune weapon he created he say's he dident but I highly suspect that . general stats ; IQ;18 natural abilities for a grtr rune item its shaped like a Tomahawk and does 3d4x10 dam can be tossed 2500ft mgcly returns an has a 1-24% chance of healing the PC for the dammage last inflicted . That is insain in my opionion for his toon he is a level , 3 lyn srial. bit much for low level if you ask me not to mention it does not even have a curse on it .. I had to get ahold of him to get the stats an abilities so I could post them here for your guys imput .

As always ..

-Lenwen.

I would say no since neither of those effect exist in palladium. It looks like he took them from D&D and/or Diablo to me.

I would say 250 ft maybe Since for the most part magic is always less then technology and convert the on hit % to something more palladium like just healing power and maybe since it is a greater rune weapon give him teleport sup X3 so he can teleport into combat if he needs to, but still a greater rune weapon at level 3.

Very few greater rune items have curse just a bad DM like to had curse to powerfull items though their are no rules for them.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Thinking about it I think even the damage is to high. I would say at most 2D4X10 and that is me being nice. I would think 1D4X10 or 1D6x10 would be more common.
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

There would be a lot of nasties more powerful than him after rune weapons and to be able to get TWO in ONE kill would attract alot of the wrong kind of attention. And how much would the other party members fight to defend him against such forces? Or want the weapons for themselves? :twisted:

He is a marked man. "Dead man walking, here."

Big Bob....................... :D
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Lenwen wrote:Aye . I told him the Rune weapon he created he say's he dident but I highly suspect that . general stats ; IQ;18 natural abilities for a grtr rune item its shaped like a Tomahawk and does 3d4x10 dam can be tossed 2500ft mgcly returns an has a 1-24% chance of healing the PC for the dammage last inflicted . That is insain in my opionion for his toon he is a level , 3 lyn srial. bit much for low level if you ask me not to mention it does not even have a curse on it .. I had to get ahold of him to get the stats an abilities so I could post them here for your guys imput .

As always ..

-Lenwen.

lol
That's so broken, I'd be tempted to let him have it.
Because nobody with a lick of sense wants to own a weapon that's smarter than they are.
Don't forget, rune weapons are people too!
NPCs, to be precise.
They have their own minds, their own agendas, and their own ideas of right and wrong.
Take Lytsong for example; it bestowed the Curse of Rags on the owner, simply to "keep the owner properly humble."

Let him have the weapon, but give it a personality that goes somewhat against the grain of the owner's.
Because what that player needs to learn is that the owner doesn't have all that power; the weapon does.
And if the owner doesn't do what the weapon wants, the weapon won't do what the owner wants.
Which means that the weapon, to a point, controls the weilder.
And since the weapon is an NPC, that means that YOU control the weilder.

Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

As always ..

-Lenwen.

My 2 Credits.

1: that is definatly not a cannon rune weapon. If it was it would be in the hands of a true Head of their own pantheon god.

2: His first thought when waking up should be "Holy [censored], where did all these Mystic Knights come from?" Right before the FoM or whoever is the big bad in the part of the world your playing in takes them from him.

Really letting a PC get a Rune weapon like that is like giving a Todler an H-bomb hooked to a big red button in most cases. As this is a case of obvious toonage Munkinism I say treat him like the universes punching bag for a while.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

The only beginning characters I allow to have rune weapons of any kind are godlings with lesser, and the samurai/ ronin with their pseudo-rune daisho.
Other than that... player characters have to earn them, and manage to keep them.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

If he's a supportive person, he'll accept your choice politely (he may decline to play, but no ones forced to play).

In that case, just decide as you will.

If he's not that sort of person, it doesn't matter what you do, he'll screw you over eventually.
Daikuma
Wanderer

Dead Man! Dead Man Walking! Muhuhahahahahaha!

Unread post by Daikuma »

bigbobsr6000 wrote:There would be a lot of nasties more powerful than him after rune weapons and to be able to get TWO in ONE kill would attract alot of the wrong kind of attention. And how much would the other party members fight to defend him against such forces? Or want the weapons for themselves? :twisted:

He is a marked man. "Dead man walking, here."

Big Bob....................... :D

Ooooohhh...chills!

I SO like the way you think....
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

I'd do what MY G.M. would do...

"You're rune weapons get jealous of each other and attack YOU..."
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

I'd do what MY G.M. would do...

"Your rune weapons get jealous of each other and attack YOU..."

...as silly as it may sound...it does happen...
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Wow, I've only handed out a total of like two rune weapons since I've been GMing. Both characters were level 8+ before recieving them.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Floopers...
Yes...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Rockwolf66
Hero

As far as my Gameing experience goes, besides a pair of NPC's that I created only one character of mine has owned a rune weapon. In his case he was a godling and had a Rune whip(chosen because I had broken mine at the time).

As far as any Magical Items of Great power go a Party should get their hands on them after a great deal of effort. As far as this player goes they have not put in any effort to justify that sort of magical power. As he has not paid for those items before he got them he should be paying for them now. I sugest makeing his life a living hades from when he joins the game until he looses the Rune weapons.

I have a player who can make some very powerful legal and quazi-legal munchkins. We have an agreement that if he makes such a character his character will become a target. Looking at your player all I see is a very big target for every greedy low life within that reality.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

*shrug* without reading any of this thread, I ask one thing; how high is his M.E. stat?
Is it at LEAST 20?
If not, then he goes mad from the never-ending bickering and sniping and coaxing voices from the two rune-items. Each one wants to be his /her one & only TRUE object of power (think having two lovers, and both know about the other but do NOT like each other at all). :eek: :? :eek: :? :eek: :?

I'd say save Vs. insanity each and every week he possess the two items until he can un-bond with one. :ok: :demon: :thwak: :nuke: :ok:

The only time I've allowed a player to have more than one 'object of power' was due to fact his ME was 24 and he was high enough level magus that he actualy could intimidate BOTH rune weapons.
...and yes, I made him roll for it too :D
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

IIRC, in either one of the rune weapon descriptions, or one of the god descriptions there was a pair of rune weapons that were made with the intention of being owned & used by the same person, and that was a rarity among rune weapons.
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

DhAkael wrote: how high is his M.E. stat?
Is it at LEAST 20?
If not, then he goes mad from the never-ending bickering and sniping and coaxing voices from the two rune-items. Each one wants to be his /her one & only TRUE object of power (think having two lovers, and both know about the other but do NOT like each other at all).

I'd say save Vs. insanity each and every week he possess the two items until he can un-bond with one.

My thinking exactly. Both voices in his head would drive him crazy. Heck, I'd threaten with multiple personalities where each rune weapon would only work with one. Give him 3-4 personalities, 2 of which won't get any response from the rune weapons of those 2, only one can use one weapon at a time. As a GM, YOU have the control over which personality he HAS to play each session. That makes it tougher to play and you get to restrict his use by this insanity.

I also agree with what's been said here that possission of not just one, but two HIGHLY coveted items is going to make this player a HUGE target by everyone, including the other players at the table. +
"Why not kill him ourselves or let him die? I'll take one weapon, you take the other. Arm wrestle you for it!" :demon:
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

In the end I basically made him give them up . Each weapon had its own history an each had a "protector" that had been across the megaverse looking for them . He had to either hand them over or die . Simple as that hehe . Needless to say after the game he was a bit ticked about it all to which My simply reply was easy . Find me in ANY Palladium books ( even rifter books) At LEAST 5 beings that had TWO Greatest Rune Weapons . I dont have even a quarter of the Rifts main line books but I am willing to back up my claims that TWO greatest Rune weapons are far and away NEVER going to happen to any single being unless that being goes out (in thier God level way ) to collect several Greatest Rune Weapons . Much less a set of Greatest rune weapons that are exact duplicates ( or very near ) . So until then he has them taken from him mean possibly . But I dont like Munchkins in a begining run for new PC's call me bias'ed lol Thanks for your guys help .

As always ..

-Lenwen.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Lenwen wrote:In the end I basically made him give them up . Each weapon had its own history an each had a "protector" that had been across the megaverse looking for them . He had to either hand them over or die . Simple as that hehe . Needless to say after the game he was a bit ticked about it all to which My simply reply was easy . Find me in ANY Palladium books ( even rifter books) At LEAST 5 beings that had TWO Greatest Rune Weapons . I dont have even a quarter of the Rifts main line books but I am willing to back up my claims that TWO greatest Rune weapons are far and away NEVER going to happen to any single being unless that being goes out (in thier God level way ) to collect several Greatest Rune Weapons . Much less a set of Greatest rune weapons that are exact duplicates ( or very near ) . So until then he has them taken from him mean possibly . But I dont like Munchkins in a begining run for new PC's call me bias'ed lol Thanks for your guys help .

As always ..

-Lenwen.

Not in Rifts, but in PFRPG Land of the Damned Two in the section on the Legion of Northmor, the female elf member owns about a 1/2 dozen rune weapons. Of course she has only bonded with and uses one, actually two but they are a rapier and dagger created to be used together. The rest she keeps as her "treasure". All of them are rather powerful.

I personally don't see the problem that most people have with Rune weapons. While they are impressive as an individual weapon, with damage ranging from 5d6-1d6x10 M.D. and a 1/2 dozen spell or psionics, I've actually had more problems with tech and techno-wizard weapons. In fact most power armor are more dangerous, yet most GMs have no problem with a group have two or more.
Vrykolas2k
Champion

JTwig wrote:
Lenwen wrote:In the end I basically made him give them up . Each weapon had its own history an each had a "protector" that had been across the megaverse looking for them . He had to either hand them over or die . Simple as that hehe . Needless to say after the game he was a bit ticked about it all to which My simply reply was easy . Find me in ANY Palladium books ( even rifter books) At LEAST 5 beings that had TWO Greatest Rune Weapons . I dont have even a quarter of the Rifts main line books but I am willing to back up my claims that TWO greatest Rune weapons are far and away NEVER going to happen to any single being unless that being goes out (in thier God level way ) to collect several Greatest Rune Weapons . Much less a set of Greatest rune weapons that are exact duplicates ( or very near ) . So until then he has them taken from him mean possibly . But I dont like Munchkins in a begining run for new PC's call me bias'ed lol Thanks for your guys help .

As always ..

-Lenwen.

Not in Rifts, but in PFRPG Land of the Damned Two in the section on the Legion of Northmor, the female elf member owns about a 1/2 dozen rune weapons. Of course she has only bonded with and uses one, actually two but they are a rapier and dagger created to be used together. The rest she keeps as her "treasure". All of them are rather powerful.

I personally don't see the problem that most people have with Rune weapons. While they are impressive as an individual weapon, with damage ranging from 5d6-1d6x10 M.D. and a 1/2 dozen spell or psionics, I've actually had more problems with tech and techno-wizard weapons. In fact most power armor are more dangerous, yet most GMs have no problem with a group have two or more.

Thraxus from Phase World has several.
I could probably point out more, but since they're much higher level, the point really is moot.

Rockwolf66
Hero

Vrykolas2k wrote:Thraxus from Phase World has several.
I could probably point out more, but since they're much higher level, the point really is moot.

Not to mention their actions are firmly in the GM's hands. My take on High Powered Magical Items is to leave them to higher level characters who have earned them through superior role playing skill. I mean in my games the only Rune weapons encountered are either in the hands of a Godling or a Rumored weapon of legend that a player Party will have to go through Hell to aquire.

Then again there is at least one device from "Island at the Edge of the World" that I would restrict even more than a Wholesale Lot of "Swords of Atlantis".
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Rockwolf66 wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:Thraxus from Phase World has several.

Not to mention their actions are firmly in the GM's hands. My take on High Powered Magical Items is to leave them to higher level characters who have earned them through superior role playing skill. I mean in my games the only Rune weapons encountered are either in the hands of a Godling or a Rumored weapon of legend that a player Party will have to go through Hell to aquire.

Then again there is at least one device from "Island at the Edge of the World" that I would restrict even more than a Wholesale Lot of "Swords of Atlantis".

I alway require the player to earn Rune Weapons, as I would with any powerful item, but I don't require the epic quests that other have posted they require. If the player really wants a Rune Weapon for his character, it is usually a 3-5 session quest and is usually a matter of locating one and defeating its guardian/stealing it from its owner. I do the same thing when a player wants a SAMAS or Deathbringer TW Sword. Of course I'm talking about the "standard" (if there is such a thing) Greater Rune Weapon/Item produced by the Splugorth and some gods, not something with a unique power such as Castle Rake (or is it Castle Drake, can't recall at the momment).

Return to “G.M.s Forum”