Japan PA109

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I want you to write a book. No really. Write some stuff for the Rifter (maybe the H-Brand stuff) and then write Japan 2. It needs to happen.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Galactus Kid

lol. true.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

I agree Japan is much cooler than Triax and is in need of an Update. You have some interesting concepts that sound good. I would have destroyed the Otomo entirely but that is just me. I like what i saw for the most part and think that you should write it up and send it in.
The Galactus Kid

I like Japan, but to say its cooler than Triax? pssh. not hardly. hahaha

JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

I've never understood why people want to canonically advance the timeline of Rifts or any other Palladium game line. I've always thought that it put to many limits on the GMs. What if in my games I wanted Tolkeen to win. I know that some are going to say that I'm free to ignore and do what I want, but its not that easy when you have players who know the out come of certain events. I wish they would just freeze the timeline at 109 P.A., and have every book that comes out say "this is were XXXX (Triax, Kingsdale, Lazlo, Iron Heart, etc.) stands as of 109 P.A". As of right now I know a lot of players and GMs that feel that the out of certain events are already forgone and nothing the characters do really make a difference (why go through heck to save Tolkeen when it doesn't matter what you do, it going to be destroyed according to cannon anyway).

Sorry about the rant, I don't mean to take away from anything you want to do for your own game or a Rifter. Its just that the suggestion of writing a Rifts Japan 2 just to advance the timeline gets me going.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Hmmm..Otomo's new suppliers...Naut'yll? Splugorth? Naruni I don't see because getting even with the CS is their new priority. I don't picture the CS that far afield moving guns to a kingdom like Otomo, with more pressing matters closer to home.....And eastern Russia is still wilderness, so it couldn't be Siberian cyborgs...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

The Galactus Kid wrote:I want you to write a book. No really. Write some stuff for the Rifter (maybe the H-Brand stuff) and then write Japan 2. It needs to happen.

I agree completely. I like your stuff vampire_hunter_D and if possible submit to the Rifter.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Sureshot
Champion

JTwig wrote:I've never understood why people want to canonically advance the timeline of Rifts or any other Palladium game line. I've always thought that it put to many limits on the GMs. What if in my games I wanted Tolkeen to win. I know that some are going to say that I'm free to ignore and do what I want, but its not that easy when you have players who know the out come of certain events. I wish they would just freeze the timeline at 109 P.A., and have every book that comes out say "this is were XXXX (Triax, Kingsdale, Lazlo, Iron Heart, etc.) stands as of 109 P.A". As of right now I know a lot of players and GMs that feel that the out of certain events are already forgone and nothing the characters do really make a difference (why go through heck to save Tolkeen when it doesn't matter what you do, it going to be destroyed according to cannon anyway).

The thing is Rifts Earth is too dynamic of a background for everything and anything to remain static and unchanging all the time. There are too many forces at play in Rifts Earth and to expect nothing to change imo is wisful thinking. you have to some sort of canon and metaplot. Otherwise what the point of playing in an established universe. It gets pretty boring reading over and over "john doe the Juicer may or may not die we leave it to you the players to fill in the blanks".

You mention that people who buy the books will know what happnes to a certain extent that is true. Same can be said of a background that never advances either. You make a good point but in the end it's a Catch-22. Though some companies have been successful in moving the backgroound forward and some have not. Imo i think vampire_hunter_D stuff is a step in the right direction.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

The thing is Rifts Earth is too dynamic of a background for everything and anything to remain static and unchanging all the time.

Isn't that what the GM is for.

you have to some sort of canon and metaplot.

Why?

It gets pretty boring reading over and over "john doe the Juicer may or may not die we leave it to you the players to fill in the blanks".

And it doesn't when a book comes out and say "no matter what his organization/city/power block will be destroyed/win/start fighting X, and there is nothing you can do about it".
The Galactus Kid

Well, instead of destroying something, you can give avenues of adventure. Give options like a bunch of Hook Line and sinker adventures.

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I think it's a great idea! I'd like to see a book about Japan from you! It would be awesome!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Daikuma
Wanderer

Flip Side

Unread post by Daikuma »

There is almost nothing more frustrating then to develop a storyline based on the canonical information in one book, only to have a subsequent book completely reverse the direction or answers that your group's actions came up with.

Game Writers: either write canonical HLS for a region once, and never do it again, or bite the bullet and write the novels you (obviously) have stuck in your head. Trying to do both can really ruin an otherwise perfect gaming environment.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Well if I may ..
Takamatsu's new partnership has got to be with the Naut'Yll simply due to the fact that the Horune raid them ( Takamatsu ) and Horune are known Splugorthian allies ( well at least they can Dock in atlantis ) an the Splug's and the Naut'Yll are known advesaries .. So the Logic of " The enemy of my enemy is my Friend " comes into play . Thusly said . I can easily see a Takamatsu's an Naut'Yll forming a mutually benificial alliance
But the question begs to be asked is this : What if anything can Tak offer the Naut'Yll aquatic beings with thier own under ocean cities an industries?

-Lenwen.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the naut'yll are only operating in the Atlantic, so they can't be supplying a japanese group.

i figure naruni or splugorth.

if i had to pick, i'd go with the naruni. while they do have a revenge thing going against the CS, they'd realize there is more market available on rifts earth than just north america. (imagine how much they'd make selling to all sides of the Russian warlord struggles :D )

of course, one of the rifters had Kittani made ninja gear, so a splugorth isn't out of the question. i'd guess not splynncryth, he's got too many tentacles involved on earth already, lets see some others. heck, with atlantis being the money maker it is, you'd expect other splugorth wanting to get a tentacle in somewhere to compete.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Sureshot
Champion

vampire_hunter_D wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

I'll get to work and see if I can get it done as soon as I can. Unfortunatly, that may not be too soon. I lack the dicipline ot sit down and write like I should for a project like this.

I'll try though

Good luck if you do. Don't be afraid to change things in the background. Imo it's really needed.
Last edited by Sureshot on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightened Grognard

Aramanthus
Monk

Please take your time and do it right! You can inform us of the page count and maybe some small little teasers.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Ther were no NPC,s in Japan.

So if thers a Japan2 Ther must have Npc,s.

If you have ideas for them,show them here.
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

I would like to see some of the different Gods and supernatural creatures of Japan in a Japan2 book.
Aramanthus
Monk

Sounds like an interesting idea! I can't wait until you post more about it!

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®”