How liberal are you on Power use?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

1) I've nixed like 90% of the redundent or silly powers that don't fit with my play style
2) I've instituted something called Power Control, which allows stunts like that. As long as it is within the realm of the power, I don't have a problem with the player trying something new with a set difficulty number. Hell, I would even allow someone with CEF: Fire to suck all the heat from the surrounding area possibly to Absolute 0. Of course this would have to be a high level character and a heavy penalty, but if they make the roll then they got it.
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
KillWatch
Champion

Tears of fire? wow that is beautiful
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Personally I have absolutely no problem with cosmetic changes to the powers, so long as they have no effect on the statistics of the power. If you want your Earth Possession Golem to look like a Bear instead of a human I'm cool with that.

I also like the idea of allowing for power stunts, but I generally don't want to give them to characters at first level . . . this is less about me being stingy but rather giving them something to look forward to as they level up (since alot of palladium characters are notoriously bad for being essentially the same at lvl 5 as they were at lvl 1)
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I'm fairly flexible on stuff that allows a "signature" or a character specific motif, but I am more restrictive when it involves bonus-whoring, power/number crunching, or other avenues to make the power effective in ways outside it's intended influence.

In some cases a player may want to perform a "power stunt" that is already covered under a separate Minor Power: at that point, the player should either use up a slot in character generation, or find another way to accomplish their end. I try not to let Power Stunts become free powers. The number of powers you get is limited for a reason.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I am wokring on a character that have Enrgy expulsion:Fire,the character used this with Martal Arts moves like the Fire users on the Nickeloden animated Tv series call Avatar:the last airbender.

Is it O.K to use it?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Create Fire Constructs....Hmmmm.....
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Create Fire Constructs....Hmmmm.....

Try combining Create Force Constructs and CEF Fire.

I'm not opposed to stuff like that, but I do insist you spend two Major Power slots to do so.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Sentinel wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Create Fire Constructs....Hmmmm.....

Try combining Create Force Constructs and CEF Fire.

I'm not opposed to stuff like that, but I do insist you spend two Major Power slots to do so.

Actually, I am considering making a new power by combining elements of the two and limiting some factors to make it more balanced.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
KillWatch
Champion

Personally sometimes I feel we dumb down and weeken the major powers. They become less major and more mediocre
KillWatch
Champion

being solid is more of a liability than just being flame, If you do that then they will have tangible sdc. The animated constructs are still going to have to be concentrated on or they disappear as they do not have a life of their own.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Back in the day (about 5 years ago) I was real liberal with super powers.
I would allow all kinds of "power stunts" and "combinations", which I
balanced by having villains designed to KILL PCs or tweek my favorite
NPCs like Cremator, Terror Bears, and a few others. But as I started
re-developing my style of writing, and had to describe "supernatural
events", I guess I turned conservative or perhaps a realist. So as I read
the description of a power, I try to interrupt what the writer intended the
power to do. If I feel it goes along with the writer's intent, I'll say yes.
But I won't let powers do thing just so a player can have their way to win
or be undefeatable.
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

I'm fairly liberal with any of the powers a player wants. As to signature stuff, I would have them roll a d20 or percentile to see how successful they were. The target # to roll depends on the situation and the elaborateness of the effect wanting to be done. Failure just means it did not come out in shape as wanted maybe a star became a triangle. Or the power went off as normal.
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
KillWatch
Champion

Im sorry what was the upsdie?
KillWatch
Champion

Regarding the fire puppies; this is one reason why I start the major powers with nearly nothing. This way if they REALLY wanted fire pups they could train to use it, and if they just wanted to trade it out for one of the canon powers then go for it

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”