demigods

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Re: demigods

Unread post by Scrud »

~So a rattling and a God(probably Kirgi) consummate and give birth to a demigod rattling
~Ratling+God=Demigod that looks like a rattling. use the Demigod R.C.C. the god blood will over power any genetics that the rattling may have had

~So an Atleantian and a God consummate and give birth to an atlantian Demigod
~Atlantian+God=Regular Demigod, use the Demigod R.C.C. again the God blood erases and thing the Atlantean may have contributed. If the Demigod was raised in atlantian culture it could chose an atlantean O.C.C. but it absolutely cannot have magic Tattoos(not ever marks of heritage). It may be half Atlantean but its magic nature and regenerative powers prevent it.

~As for the spliced Atlantiean, unfortunately I don't have Atlantis with me but I do believe it says that they cannot be transformed under any circumstance which would include genetics as well.
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Technically, a demigod can get Atlantean/Splugorth/Chiang-Ku magic tattoos, but they won't actually do anything; they'll just be spiffy artwork without benefit or penalty.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Ogrebane1 wrote:i have a group that wants to play but they all want to play characters that there arnet any rules for. 1 wants to play a rattling demigod. another wants to be a true atlantean demigod. and 1 wants to be a true atlantean that was altered by a gene-splicer i tried explaining to them that the last one might not be possible because of the nature of a true atlantean but upon reading the write-up it only indicates by magic or supernatural means but nothing about science. now that may seem to be a bit munchkin but thats why im asking if it is possible. Thank-you

You do realize True Atlantian "no transformation" rules in no way hinders or limits genetic alteration? it's not a transformation, it's a genetic alteration. Seriously...
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Yes and no, a genetic alteration on at atlantean would not transform him, but might change their offspring.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

AlanGunhouse wrote:Yes and no, a genetic alteration on at atlantean would not transform him, but might change their offspring.

And that is also not prohibited. You cannot be transformed into a moose or a frog. You can certaintly have genetics altered.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The Godling and Demigod RCCs are found in RCB2 before the 'gods' listings.

I would say that depending on the nature of the TA's (as a race) no transformation 'power' being it is inferred to be mystical, even a gene spliced TA might end up having normal pure blood TA's.

It also depends on if the gene splicing was topical or if it was also done to the subject's reproductive cells also. Topical gene therapy can not cross into the reproductive cells, unless the geneticist uses agents that can cross into the reproductive cells protective barriers.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

This message has been moved to the GM's Forum, where the topic is more applicable and appropriate. If you have a problem with how this post was handled please direct all inquires to deific.nmi@gmail.com, including the url to the post in question.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Severite »

Ajax wrote:I've a better solution, up to you if you want to use it or not...

You get all your players together, get them to break out thier books and dice and what nots, then you stab them in thier taints with a dull knife, because it'll hurt more.

Seriously, tell these mongaloids to get a clue. You must be the nicest GM ever, since I've heard no mention of smacking these players on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and telling them 'No! bad dog!' yet. Two Demi-Gods and a TA that'll just about be a Demi-God in power, I'm a confirmed powergamer and even I baulk at that idea.

Good Golly! Seriously, everybody has there own playstyle, yada yada. That kinda sounds like fun, as long as A)Everyone is on the same page and B)The Gm doesn't mind running that sort of campaign. Which seems fairly apparent that this is the case, so why bash him? Or them?

Now, if the group consisted of a rouge scientist, vagabond, LLW, and a proposed Ratling Demigod, then I could see your reaction.

To be on topic, I would just go with the Demigod RCC given the form of the secondary races, and allow the TA to be genespliced, taking care that he is more or less on par with the others, or just very different, whichever.
domus est itire cum etiam tenebrae sordida
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

You get all your players together, get them to break out thier books and dice and what nots, then you stab them in thier taints with a dull knife, because it'll hurt more.

Seriously, tell these mongaloids to get a clue. You must be the nicest GM ever, since I've heard no mention of smacking these players on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and telling them 'No! bad dog!' yet. Two Demi-Gods and a TA that'll just about be a Demi-God in power, I'm a confirmed powergamer and even I baulk at that idea.

I've a better idea. offer help, not criticisms of their playing style. I'd love to see your thoughts on Nekira's Nightbane game or the longrunning Rifts game Neky and I are in. A beginning character would need to be a godling to keep up in the Rifts game.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

I'm a confirmed powergamer, and in my game, the demigod was the weakest PC.

csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

ya will see how long that demi god lasts in my game

players paint him and 6 CS aircraft answer the call to fire request

demi god ain't that strong if you got enough guns
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Nobody questioned your intelligence, just the seemingly reactionary conclusion you arrived at.
Second, the original post asked advice and was uncertain of the rules governing the situation he outlined. That was answered by the classes listed in Pantheons.
Thirdly, many of us pointed out our mileage was different than yours.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Severite »

Ajax wrote:Hey, so my adivce isn't popular. But advice is advice, mine is based off my knowledge of people and what I read from the initial post by Ogrebane1. If he doesn't like my words of wisdom he doesn't have to use them, if he does use them I just want to point out that your local authorities will probablty want a word with you. Not all good advice is always positive or supportive.

In my experiance when players start asking for oddities such as listed, there's a catch and it's never a good one. The TA demi-god could have a good story and roleplaying driven aspect to it, the other two sound like power simply for power's sake.

I'm a firm believer in the Sink or Swim method of learning most things. GMing is one of those things I think has to be learned in this manner, as either you are a good GM or you're not and only experiance can make you better. But when GM is going 'Um, I don't even know if it's possible or where the rules for it are.' It's a sign he's over his head and he'll more then likely regret allowing it. Now Ogrebane1 maybe an exceptional GM and could rise to the occation and meet the challege. If so good, if not then he'll have nothing to show but some hard learned lesson and very likely a ****-poor game.

Severite, you're right everyone does have thier own playstyle. But the Gm doesn't seem, as per his original posting, to be completely comfortable with the idea of that campaign or atleast that's what I read. As to if he is or isn't comfortable with running that style of campaign that is up to him. And I never bashed him, I did bash the players a little bit. I'm a jerk in real life, and it bleeds over into my posts at times.

Misfit KotLD, longstanding campaigns are differant then starting up new games. Introducing new characters into a situation like that without giving them the benefit of boosted levels to match the rest of the part would require the Gm to boost the level of OCC available to them or it simply raises the bar for how well that player has to play.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of me, I am a very intelligent person. And my point of view has merit, it's not very nice but it does have merit. Ogrebane1 should of asked his players 'Why?' instead of asking on the boards 'Where?'. If the players can't defend thier request with a well thought out and researched response, including books/rules needed, then they probably shouldn't be allowed to play it and I stand by my first posting. If they can, well then a Gm should give it some thought and see how it'll fit into the rest of the game.

Im with the other poster on this one: no one questioned your intelligence, that I noticed. With that said, I may very well be an idiot of the fourth order in your eyes, thats fine. My point was the "tone" of your post, and, really, the OP was rather vague in that it only asked for cannon explanation, and not on the merits, difficulty, "should I's" etc. that would infer such a lack of GM'img experience as you surmised. If anything his thoughts are well typed that I would presume some level of competence, though with no real way to truly know without playing in his game.

And I guess a somewhat personal question: If you know your a jerk, and your posting is likely to come off as such, then why post it? What does being a jerk net gain? Just curious, and if you care to answer at all, a PM would be fine.
domus est itire cum etiam tenebrae sordida
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Remember, "No" is your friend.

Just keep in mind that you need to be fair and not say no to this, and yes to another player wanting something equally unbalanced.
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Scrud wrote:~So a rattling and a God(probably Kirgi) consummate and give birth to a demigod rattling
~Ratling+God=Demigod that looks like a rattling. use the Demigod R.C.C. the god blood will over power any genetics that the rattling may have had

~So an Atleantian and a God consummate and give birth to an atlantian Demigod
~Atlantian+God=Regular Demigod, use the Demigod R.C.C. again the God blood erases and thing the Atlantean may have contributed. If the Demigod was raised in atlantian culture it could chose an atlantean O.C.C. but it absolutely cannot have magic Tattoos(not ever marks of heritage). It may be half Atlantean but its magic nature and regenerative powers prevent it.

~As for the spliced Atlantiean, unfortunately I don't have Atlantis with me but I do believe it says that they cannot be transformed under any circumstance which would include genetics as well.

The matings would get you godlings not demigods btw.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

Sex is not a form of physical transformation, nor mystical or otherwise.

So a True Atlantean Demi-God is completely possible, just make his marks of heritage the parent power and he still gets his one choice from the Godling list.

Genetic manipulation is possible as long as the gene-splicer doesn't try to mutate the atlantean into some sort of 8 armed hyena-like snake.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

mAd eAgle wrote:5. Cannot be physically transformed by ANY means, including but not limited to the following: metamorphosis potions and spells, the transformation ritual, vampire transformation, petrification, turn to mist, growth/reduction spells/potions/super powers, curses, wishes, or any other form of magic or supernatural transformation spell or enchantment.

This is direct from Rifts Atlantis, pg 16.

How much clearer do you need it? I have a Demigod whose parents were a GOD (Thoth) & a True Atlanten. That I beleive is the only POSSIBLE way for the above combo to be realised.

Happy hunting!

Bullets change him from being alive to dead. Guess not now.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

dark brandon wrote:
mAd eAgle wrote:5. Cannot be physically transformed by ANY means, including but not limited to the following: metamorphosis potions and spells, the transformation ritual, vampire transformation, petrification, turn to mist, growth/reduction spells/potions/super powers, curses, wishes, or any other form of magic or supernatural transformation spell or enchantment.

How much clearer do you need it? I have a Demigod whose parents were a GOD (Thoth) & a True Atlanten. That I beleive is the only POSSIBLE way for the above combo to be realised.

Happy hunting!

So long as those bullets as not metamorphosis potions and spells, the transformation ritual, vampire transformation, petrification, turn to mist, growth/reduction spells/potions/super powers, curses, wishes, or any other form of magic or supernatural transformation spell or enchantment.
:-D :lol:
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
dark brandon
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
dark brandon wrote:

Happy hunting!

So long as those bullets as not metamorphosis potions and spells, the transformation ritual, vampire transformation, petrification, turn to mist, growth/reduction spells/potions/super powers, curses, wishes, or any other form of magic or supernatural transformation spell or enchantment.
:-D :lol:

I see...so, technically, they are immune to things like a laser rod...GOSH, CS should adopt atlanteans into their army.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

dark brandon wrote:
I see...so, technically, they are immune to things like a laser rod...GOSH, CS should adopt Atlantans into their army.

didn't say they were immune to mundane weapons
there might be some TA bastards the CS army.... w/o their makes of heritage they would be just normal humans to anyone just looking at them.
dark brandon
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
dark brandon wrote:
I see...so, technically, they are immune to things like a laser rod...GOSH, CS should adopt Atlantans into their army.

there might be some TA bastards the CS army.... w/o their makes of heritage they would be just normal humans to anyone just looking at them.

My bad, I was thinking Lightning rod...aka TW weapons...brain short circuited there
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

dark brandon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
dark brandon wrote:

My bad, I was thinking Lightning rod...aka TW weapons...brain short circuited there

errr..... maybe if it was a metamorphosis rod.... the TA would be immune.....

but if you want a extremely strict interpretation of the no transformation then TA's could receive any healing magic,because it transforms them, in a minor way.

And we have veered away from topic's topic.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

or now bending the sarcasm in a different way.

unless you put *sarcastically* after your sarcastic remark, we have no idea what intonational meanings you put to the words, because the intonations do not come across when typing.
Just like body language sub parts of your normal talking do not come across when typing them out.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”