hero or villian

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

do you prefer to play a hero or a villian?

hero
63%
villian
37%

Total votes: 30

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Re: hero or villian

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

I play heroes because I enjoy it. Finding ways to creatively use your powers and equipment to creatively foil villainous plots is just fun. Of course, since I often run, I get kind of tired of always doing the villains too.
Al Blotto
Wanderer

Unread post by Al Blotto »

I've always been a fan of heroes and doing the "right thing". I don't think I could really play a villain unless it was a very conflicted one. My mind just doesn't bend that way.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

it's all about the motivations, but i generally prefer the struggle of a hero.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

An anti-hero, Ya i know thats so over done, but i like the emotional gauntlet it lets you role play. I mean i do like the challenge of playing the straight four colored hero. Always trying to do the right thing, and playing a real complex, intelligent, and motivated villain a has been a hoot. But the anti-hero let's me play more to my own personality.
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Leon Kennedy wrote:It's all good and fine to play the villain every once in a while, but in an RPG setting playing a villain is too easy. All you have to do is walk up to something, smash it, and then continue. There's really no sense of challenge to play a villain - you just get to do anything you wish.

That depends on what sort of villain you are. Sure roleplaying Doomsday would be so easy an ABC sitcom writer could do it. But some villains face special challenges. Like in JLU when Lex Luthor had to hold his legion together. Or the villain who wants to steal the unobtainium from MegaCorp's secure building. He may very well have to plot things out a lot like how the heroes would have to plot things out to steal it from his secure base.
Villains may have big foes that they struggle against. Look at Ultimate Spidey and the bad guys going up against Roxxon (something superheroes could just as easy be fighting).
Being a villain is as challenging as the goals you set (and the complications that the GM throws your way).

edit: of course, villains would be harder to GM, as they tend to be more pro-active. Whereas heroes are reactive.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

When I'm G.M.ing I love to play villains, when I'm a player I love being a hero. Which
do I enjoy more? Probably characters who seem like villains to some, but heroes to
others. I guess I really can't decide :lol: .
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

Villains. Theyre always easier to relate to than heroes, and thats often why they have power over us in movies and books.

Personally, I dont get the helping people and not asking for a reward. If im gonna help your ass, theres definitely something in there for me.

/heartless
//slashies
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Starmage21 wrote:Personally, I dont get the helping people and not asking for a reward. If im gonna help your ass, theres definitely something in there for me.

Poop? :lol:
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

villan campains are hard
heros have the support of their
comunitys, the police, the milatary
the populace and their companinions.
A villian stands alone.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

Overlord Rikonius wrote:
Starmage21 wrote:Personally, I dont get the helping people and not asking for a reward. If im gonna help your ass, theres definitely something in there for me.

Poop? :lol:

lol I deserve that.

Prince Cherico wrote:villan campains are hard
heros have the support of their
comunitys, the police, the milatary
the populace and their companinions.
A villian stands alone.

I suppose thats true, but I guess if youre going to GM such a game, than you need to ask your group what motivates them to make this easier.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I'll play a hero over villian any day!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Hero. Preferably an "I'm not even supposed to be here today" guy who'd really rather be doing something esle.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I played in one Villain RP before and even though we were part of a 'Legion of Doom' and were supposed to act as a team there were the usual ego fights that happen in a Hero group, but magnified since people didn't feel constrained to settle them in a less violent/possibly permanent fashion. It was fun, and thankfully we had 'secondary' characters rolled up just in case, but one of the players really got a bug up his butt about being the leader and tried to take out the NPC leader and didn't like it when he got smacked down hard... through the floor, the floor beneath the one we were on, and 2 more besides that.

So while it was doable, heroes have always worked out much better for me.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

I ran a villain game PbP once, but they only basrely escaped the jail before it fell apart. Some creative villians (and one mixed up hero).
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I've played both, but usually, if I'm playing a superheroes game I enjoy good guys (maybe slightly bad good guys)
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”