question about a magic spell in FoM

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Giant2005
Knight

Re: question about a magic spell in FoM

Unread post by Giant2005 »

I just spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out what spell you are actually talking about and came up batting zero.
I think you are going to have to give a few mroe clues on this one.

The closest thing I came up with was Invincible Armor but that spell is pretty well explained in it's text, I doubt that would be it because there isn't any confusion involving that spell.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

milomilo wrote:So I'm trying to remember a lot of this off the top of my head, so I don't remember the spell name and this may have been covered before:

there is a high level shield barrier spell in FoM that describes it as being gold colored and having a woping amount of mdc. MY question is, it says all energy attacks are instantly dispelled and that kinetic attacks pass right through unhindered, so what is the mdc for? it seems like the wording just isnt as clear as it could be, so im wondering does this mean that kinetic attacks from guns still hit the barrier and the shield takes damage, while slower things like punches pass through, while energy is dispelled? Thanks--

The Null Sphere spell.

And it's used to counter non-energy and non-kenetic attacks, few that there are. Spells like Mental Shock, Attacks like N&SS Vibrating Palm, ect. There's not a lot but they are out there.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

milomilo wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
milomilo wrote:So I'm trying to remember a lot of this off the top of my head, so I don't remember the spell name and this may have been covered before:

there is a high level shield barrier spell in FoM that describes it as being gold colored and having a woping amount of mdc. MY question is, it says all energy attacks are instantly dispelled and that kinetic attacks pass right through unhindered, so what is the mdc for? it seems like the wording just isnt as clear as it could be, so im wondering does this mean that kinetic attacks from guns still hit the barrier and the shield takes damage, while slower things like punches pass through, while energy is dispelled? Thanks--

The Null Sphere spell.

And it's used to counter non-energy and non-kenetic attacks, few that there are. Spells like Mental Shock, Attacks like N&SS Vibrating Palm, ect. There's not a lot but they are out there.

That's the spell, null sphere. but doesn't the book say spells like mental shock are negated? if it's not for energy or kinetic attacks, then why the mdc though?

Mental shock is, that dosn't negate vibrating palm, though. So there ya go.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

The way I read it is the energy attacks and such that is protects against won't harm the people within the sphere. The sphere itself, still gets damaged hence the MDC amount.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Then there are thinng like cold attacks and Shadow attacks that are not technically energy, but a lack of energy.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Though this is a bit of house rule in it or at least not stated in stone but implied.
I have always played that magic and psionics powers are separate type damage.
Reason for this is because many monsters in the past would say impervious to fire, but magical fire does half. So I believe the authors wanted it to be separate.

So in my games magic energy attacks would not be dispeled but inflicit damage to the null sphere.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

AlanGunhouse wrote:Then there are thinng like cold attacks and Shadow attacks that are not technically energy, but a lack of energy.

Impervious to Energy covers them as well.

dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
AlanGunhouse wrote:Then there are thinng like cold attacks and Shadow attacks that are not technically energy, but a lack of energy.

Impervious to Energy covers them as well.

I would assume as well for simplification reasons. Otherwise you open doors for "kenetic is a type of energy"...and really, I don't think that was in the spirit of the game.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”