Attune Object to Owner question

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Attune Object to Owner question

Unread post by Glistam »

The level 8 Temporal Magic spell, "Attune Object to Owner", makes an item's special abilities unusable by any person other than it's owner that it's attuned to. The specific example used in the book is in regards to a rune weapon, and it states that anyone other than it's owner could still pick it up and use it as a weapon, but could not activate any special abilities.

How would this spell work for mundane objects? If cast on a gun, would it still be able to be fired by anybody? If cast on a computer, would it still turn on for anybody? If cast on a vehicle, would anybody still be capable of driving it?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Attune Object to Owner question

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Glistam wrote:The level 8 Temporal Magic spell, "Attune Object to Owner", makes an item's special abilities unusable by any person other than it's owner that it's attuned to. The specific example used in the book is in regards to a rune weapon, and it states that anyone other than it's owner could still pick it up and use it as a weapon, but could not activate any special abilities.

How would this spell work for mundane objects? If cast on a gun, would it still be able to be fired by anybody? If cast on a computer, would it still turn on for anybody? If cast on a vehicle, would anybody still be capable of driving it?

The gun would still fire but you couldn't put it on safety mode or reload it.

No, the computer would not turn on for anybody.

No, only you can drive it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Personally, I believe that it would not work on any device that is not magical.

I believe the intent of the spell is to prevent use of abilities that are would be normally activied by thought or by something non-psyhical. This follows the example that runes weapons are actived by though/ telepathy with the rune item.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The gun would still fire but you couldn't put it on safety mode or reload it.

It doesn't really make sense that the gun would still fire when all other mechanical functions are disabled. I think the proper analogy between the gun and the rune sword would be that the gun could still be used as a bludgeon or a paperweight, but could not be made to fire.

Mouser13 wrote:Personally, I believe that it would not work on any device that is not magical.

I believe the intent of the spell is to prevent use of abilities that are would be normally activied by thought or by something non-psyhical. This follows the example that runes weapons are actived by though/ telepathy with the rune item.

The spell description specifically mentions both mechanically and magically powered devices.

For mechanical devices I reckon that objects having a power source (motor vehicles, electronics, power tools, etc.) cannot be activated by the unattuned, while those whose function depends on mechanical actuation (firearms, crossbows, bicycles, etc.) will be effectively locked, their internal mechanisms frozen and unresponsive to the non-owner.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

I imagine that the "owner" would be the person whose bio-energy is most strongly imprinted on the object; in other words, whoever uses the object most often.

Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

It's odd to me that the example is a rune weapon to begin with since they already have a certain level of attunement with their owners. It would be clearer if the spell made mention of whether the sword still did MD in the hands of creatures/beings with normal strength. As written it sounds like it does, however I would bet that was not the intention when written, and that it was meant for the rune weapon to only function as a mundane weapon when not used by its owner.

Given the examples in the first post, no the gun would not fire, no the computer would not work, and no the vehicle would not function.

For game purposes the wizards should be able to attune any object he currently possesses. As for what constitutes possession, well, that's probably just a case by case thing. I would rule that the castor would have to have either taken possession through exchange or theft, and could not simply attune anything he touches or has a minute alone with.
:fool:
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

This message has been moved to the Guild of Magic & Psionics Forum, where the topic is more applicable and appropriate. If you have a problem with how this post was handled please direct all inquires to deific.nmi@gmail.com, including the url to the post in question.

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Glistam wrote:The level 8 Temporal Magic spell, "Attune Object to Owner", makes an item's special abilities unusable by any person other than it's owner that it's attuned to. The specific example used in the book is in regards to a rune weapon, and it states that anyone other than it's owner could still pick it up and use it as a weapon, but could not activate any special abilities.

As the example showed, the mundane qualities of an item remain. So if you cast "Attune Object to Owner" on a gun, it would still fire for other people... that's a mechanical/chemical property, not a special ability. If you did it to a computer, it would still turn on, unless turning on was connected to some special property (for example, if you're replaced the power supply/battery with a TW source).

I'd personally ignore the mechanical line in there.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”