Ball Lightning - Electrical Field

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Ball Lightning - Electrical Field

Unread post by Kesslan »

Right so...

There's recently been abit of a disagreement in a game about the Warlock Air spell of Ball Lightining, specifically in relation to the Electrical Field. It states that anyone touching or passing through the field takes damage, and covers a 10ft area per level of the caster. Ok.. simple enough.

But the argument surrounding it in this instance is if it does damage to the entire area it covers, or if it acts more like a protective (or imprisoning) shield/Tent. Where, for example a caster could create it around themselves to protect them and keep things at bay, or if it infact fry the caster in question so long as they stayed within the field (Which remains active for 1 minute per level of the caster).

Assuming the stated 10ft area is infact 'area' to me that seems like it's an area of effect damage spell if you work under the assumption that the average grown person + gear would nead an aproximately 5x5 space to move and fight in without restriction. Which equates to something like a 25ft area. Something that's less than half of the inital 10ft area.

I've not seen any changes to the spell description in the book of magic for Rifts either so I'm wondering what the 'official' word is on this. To me it doesnt make much difference, I simply need to know what is the proper application of said spell.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Ball Lightning - Electrical Field

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The spell does not hurt the warlock who cast it, if the ball lightings are use for the field w/o the warlock moving from the casting spot. Much like he Eletrical field super power.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

So then it creates a small tent like effect is basically what your saying?
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Well where the argument is comming from is the wording of the spell itself. Which states you take the damage if you pass through or are touching the field. As opposed to passing through or being inside of the field.

To me it sounds like an aoe spell that the caster then has considerable casting range on that is stationary once in place, but ultimately covers a fairly small area.

Other people are arguing it sets up a tent like effect sort of like a shield where instead you have walls of electricity that damage you if you pass through them or touch them.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

First if you are inside the field the field is touching you so it would do damage.

Second, Don't know if this is official but always viewed area has diameter from the palladium writings.
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

Thats interesting. Most spells like this protect the caster from the effect. It seems obvious to me that the intent of the spell isnt really to zap yourself. I always said that when you form the triangle around you that you would not be effected. The spell doesn't specifically say it so I had played it that they move when you do, as they hoover at your side.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”