XP points for shooting

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

XP points for shooting

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Just wondering what you guys think about giving 25xp per attack for shooting your gun in combat. I have never given it but understand the rules you should. Use of skill. Since WP is a skill? Though it may help balance tanks types to be closer in xp. Though not currentlly a issue I have had it in the past be a problem. (One time I had a good planning and execution of abilities be level 3 before anyone else was level 2.). I fine it is common for casters to get to levels first even with the higher tables of exp.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: XP points for shooting

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Probably easier not to bother.

Or only to bother as a one-time thing for people who haven't used the skill in combat before.

Or maybe if they roll a natural 20.
(or even a natural 1)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

I always viewed (and explained) it as already being factored in to the exp awards for combat.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Mouser13 wrote:Just wondering what you guys think about giving 25xp per attack for shooting your gun in combat. I have never given it but understand the rules you should. Use of skill. Since WP is a skill? Though it may help balance tanks types to be closer in xp. Though not currentlly a issue I have had it in the past be a problem. (One time I had a good planning and execution of abilities be level 3 before anyone else was level 2.). I fine it is common for casters to get to levels first even with the higher tables of exp.

If you do that, you also have to award XP every time someone throws a punch or swings a sword.

Technically, you don't earn XP every time you use a skill; you earn XP whenever you use a skill in a critical (or at least somehow meaningful) situation. You can't just do backflips all day to gain XP.

Now, one could make the argument that combat is a critical situation, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to award experience for every single move a character makes (the bookkeeping alone could be a nightmare in large, prolonged fights). Instead, like other posters, I would assume that the XP from combat skills is covered by the XP for defeating the opponent. I would only award the 25 XP for meaningful non-combat uses of combat skills, e.g. shooting a guard who is about to sound an alarm, using a trick shot or a sword-stroke to sever a rope, etc.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
Mouser13 wrote:Just wondering what you guys think about giving 25xp per attack for shooting your gun in combat. I have never given it but understand the rules you should. Use of skill. Since WP is a skill? Though it may help balance tanks types to be closer in xp. Though not currentlly a issue I have had it in the past be a problem. (One time I had a good planning and execution of abilities be level 3 before anyone else was level 2.). I fine it is common for casters to get to levels first even with the higher tables of exp.

If you do that, you also have to award XP every time someone throws a punch or swings a sword.

Technically, you don't earn XP every time you use a skill; you earn XP whenever you use a skill in a critical (or at least somehow meaningful) situation. You can't just do backflips all day to gain XP.

Now, one could make the argument that combat is a critical situation, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to award experience for every single move a character makes (the bookkeeping alone could be a nightmare in large, prolonged fights). Instead, like other posters, I would assume that the XP from combat skills is covered by the XP for defeating the opponent. I would only award the 25 XP for meaningful non-combat uses of combat skills, e.g. shooting a guard who is about to sound an alarm, using a trick shot or a sword-stroke to sever a rope, etc.

But I like backflipping in a circle until I level :(

But you'd make me do something impressive like backflip over a wire across a River of Lava so I can fight the angry demon eating the villagers.

Or is that just "clever, but futile" XP?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Technically the wording does say 25 XP for each skill use, and WP are skills.

I'd kind of mentally ignored that connection until now. Interesting!
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Damian Magecraft wrote:I always viewed (and explained) it as already being factored in to the exp awards for combat.

seconded.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

From a gaming stand point, that's absurd. The next thing your players will be asking for is XP for practicing a skill.

Fargo goes out to the yard and does fifty back flips. 1250xp please.

While logically, the more you use/practice a skill, the more proficient you become at it. That should never equate to a character receiving XP.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne

Return to “G.M.s Forum”