Best Rifts Sniper?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Talavar
Hero

Best Rifts Sniper?

Unread post by Talavar »

What skills, OCC, weapon, species, other abilities, do you think would make the best sniper in Rifts?
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Re: Best Rifts Sniper?

Unread post by dark brandon »

Talavar wrote:What skills, OCC, weapon, species, other abilities, do you think would make the best sniper in Rifts?

Juicer Assassin with HTH assassin, his sharpshooting rifle and sniper.

A mage with invisiblity, chamelion, shadow meld.

A mind melter with Mind bolt, and/or bio-manipulation.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Seneca
Explorer
Comment: When choosing between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Unread post by Seneca »

Depends on if you are using the T.A.G. rules from the sniper article in the Rifter or not.
What books I would like to see:
RIFTS-Japan 2, England 2, Africa 2, China 3, Lazlo (PLEASE!!)
Phase World- The Galactic Tracers Sourcebook
A RIFTS video game RPG/Shooter like Fallout 3
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

A Crazy. Can recognize a face at 2 miles with his regular eyeball. Toss in the right skills and he's good to go.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

Cyber Humanoid. I would like to see a squishy try to stay still for as long as a 'borg can. You can also have a large suite of sensors.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Zerebus wrote:You make a large variety of snipers. The "best" ones will invariably be high level with a solid W.P. Rifles and/or W.P. Energy Rifles skill. All that is really required is the ability to use telescopic optics and the time to practice your aim.

There is, however, something to be said about augmentations... In Ninjas and Superspies there is a power that allows you to concentrate over a period of time to attain repeated cumulative strike bonuses. If your target stays out in the open for more than a couple minutes, this One Shot One Kill power can almost guarantee a hit.
1Life-1Shot-1Hit-1Kill does not apply to modern weapons but yes that is a good technique to take.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

best weapon, probably the Naruni single shot super sniper cannon.

the NG crossbow is z favoriite, I had a listing of best weapons but I', too driunks to postui it...
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Well, let's look at some of the proposals, shall we?

A juicer assassin with HTH assassin & sniper - he's got good reaction-time, all around good combat stats, and I believe is not restricted from taking the Sharpshooting WP. Definitely a contender.

A mage with invisibility, chameleon & shadow meld - he'll definitely be hard to spot, but not many spells have a great range for sniping (except maybe Power Bolt, and even that comes up short vs. most rifles). Of course, you could argue that, given his hard to detect nature, range becomes less important - and nothing prevents a mage from using a rifle. He won't be as good with the rifle probably, since I don't think most magic classes can take Sniper or Sharpshooting (of course, their are some exceptions). Temporal Warriors, Mystic Knights, Battle Magi - they're probably the best choices for a magic sniper in my opinion.

A mind melter with mind bolt & bio-manipulation - Range and damage output is weak, but he's great in areas where smuggling in MD weapons/armour are a major difficulty. Elsewhere I think he's outclassed.

A crazy is not so dissimilar to the juicer option - with HTH assassin, Sniper & Sharpshooting he's pretty well set, plus he could make due without a scope. Is there anything that'd give the crazy an edge over the juicer in your opinions?

A cyber-humanoid is an interesting choice - again, they can take HTH assassin, Sniper, & (I think) Sharpshooting, plus a multi-optic eye can give thermal imaging, infrared, & targeting (+1 ranged). Cyborg strength allows for heavier weapons (though this applies to juicers & crazies too). The ability to stay still is more an RP challenge - but one the juicer and crazy might have trouble with, and a cyber-humanoid can still do some measure of stealth, which I think gives it an edge over our next contender...

The heavy cyborg. Most of the same applies from the cyber-humanoid, but even heavier weapons are available.

A gunfighter with cybernetics - enhanced WP Sharpshooting, can take HTH assassin & sniper - but wouldn't a gunslinger be even better? A quick-flex alien gunslinger with a multi-optic eye is probably the best "traditional" sniper that I can come up with.

As to weapons, I think the Naruni Shoulder Cannon is the best choice for military/traditional sniping: good range & great damage. That it's plasma is an issue (as many have mentioned, lots of things are immune to fire/plasma).

Some good alternatives are the CS missile rifle with armour piercing mini-missiles - good range as well, and good damage, but you need a fair bit of strength to use the thing - that and it'd give your position away fast. For sheer accuracy, I think the Provider breech-loader from Dinosaur Swamp is the best choice: it's got a +2 to strike before even adding a scope, and does a triple-damage critical on 18-20. Range is good, damage is low, & the firing rate is slow however. Other strong options: the NG Super-sniper laser rifle (only moderate range though), the Wilk's Heavy Sniper Laser (moderate damage), the Wellington Predator Super-Grenade launcher (good range & damage), and the Wellington 15mm Sniper Rifle with Heavy Ramjets (low damage except when firing bursts, moderate range).
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
dark brandon
Knight

Talavar wrote:A mind melter with mind bolt & bio-manipulation - Range and damage output is weak, but he's great in areas where smuggling in MD weapons/armour are a major difficulty. Elsewhere I think he's outclassed.

He can kill a man while eating soup, use hypnotic suggestion to get his prey out.

A MM is a dependent sniper, but can be very effective.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

The best Rifts Sniper, overall, is an Octoman Gunfighter. Nothing else really comes close to this. 4 shots with a JA-12 while sitting on a hovercycle 4000 feet away? Remember, it comes with a laser sight, and they can trace it back to him.

The second best Rifts Sniper is the Battle Magus. All that sharpshooting and the few concealment spells you can take around 4th or 5th level make you pretty impressive. Simple Invisibility + Aura of Death plus a rifle. And unlike the Octoman, they roll to hit you at -9. And if you want to remain undetected completely, there's always mental blast.

The third best Rifts Sniper is the Phaeton Juicer, because he can have a vehicle that moves faster than any other vehicle in the game and be guaranteed a quick getaway.

The fourth is the Hyperion Juicer. Even though he's only as fast as the Road Runner, the idea of Snipe Snipe Snipe/"BEEP BEEP!" followed by a trail of dust appeals to me.

The Mind Melter is a distant fifth.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Shemarrians make good snipers.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Killer Cyborg wrote:Shemarrians make good snipers.

of course KC has to show his latent pro hot metal woman bias...

:-D
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Best sniper is a two-person team. A ground spotter who is extremely well camouflaged... and a long-range missile launcher about 50 miles away.

Once you shoot, you skeddadle.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Headhunter assassin with hand to hand assassin, w.p. sharpshooting with energy rifle, good cybernetics, Naruni shoulder cannon with custom grip, improved balance, and nice optical suite.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

You should all be ashamed of yourself. The best sniper on rifts earth is, and likely always will be, the Glitterboy. Accurate for several miles, full sensor suite, and robotics insures it stays locked on target. Heck, I thought that's what the damn thing was desinged for.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Prince Artemis wrote:You should all be ashamed of yourself. The best sniper on rifts earth is, and likely always will be, the Glitterboy. Accurate for several miles, full sensor suite, and robotics insures it stays locked on target. Heck, I thought that's what the damn thing was desinged for.

It's more for artillery.

Comparing the GBs to Shemarrians:
The boom gun is 50% more powerful, and it has close to twice the range, but the GB is a larger target, and a much, much noisier one.
Getting that shot off is only part of the job of a sniper; the rest of the job is remaining undetected.
This is where the Shemarrian has an incredible edge over the GB.
GB pilots can take a Prowl skill, but have no bonuses (25% to start), and will have penalties for being in a robot vehicle.
Worse, the GB is shiny. Mirror-like. Snipers have to be careful about sunlight reflecting off of anything they have (like their scope) and alerting the enemy to their presence, and a GB is ALL shiny.
Sure, it's theoretically possible for a GB to cover himself and his entire gun somehow. He could paint everything, but a 10' tall robot moving through anything resembling rough terrain (trees, bushes, rocky areas) is going to rub some of that paint off as he goes.
Also, the best case scenario is that the GB can prevent his armor from sticking out like a sore and very shiny thumb; he can't actually blend, because he can't take the Camouflage skill.
Granted, he could travel with a spotter who constantly tried to keep the GB painted up, and who helped the GB build blinds to shoot from and otherwise tried to help keep the GB from being too noticeable, but it'd be about a full-time job. And if the GB is detected and has to move to another location, or make a run for it, that paint is going to scrape off some more as he goes.
And if he's trying to run through rough terrain, he'll probably only be able to move at 30 MPH. Far faster than human on foot, of course, but not as fast as a lot of the competition.
And if he takes more than a couple shots against enemies with any decent movements capabilities and firepower, he WILL have to move; that BOOM is going to give away his location (and possibly blow away any leafy branches or other light material he's using for cover!) every single time.
Of course, at the maximum 2 mile range, the GB's shots are going to hit before the sound of the initial blast reaches the enemy- that won't hit for 10 seconds, so the GB will be able to get 2/3 of his attacks off before the enemy hears the sonic boom from his gun.
(Though I'm not sure if the rounds themselves make noise as they travel through the air at mach 5; they may very well might, in which case the doppler effect will help the enemy pinpoint the direction the shots are coming from quickly enough that the main boom won't make much difference.)
That's IF he has a clear line of sight that extends 2 miles all the way to his target, which won't be likely in most situations. More often than not, a sniper would have to get in closer for a clear line of sight, so even the main blast is going to give the location away pretty quick (about 1 mile per 5 seconds).
And don't bother trying to snipe from an urban area, since you'll be shattering glass within 300'.
"Hey, you think the GB might be hiding behind that building with all the broken windows?"

Shemarrians, on the other hand:
-2d6x10 damage per shot, with a range of 6,000'. Not as good as a GB, but still superb damage and well above-average range, even for snipers. Unless you're in a situation where the line of sight to the enemy is significantly more than 6,000', the GB doesn't have much edge anyway.
-Telescopic vision (6,000') and other advanced optic systems
-Laser Targeting System 6,000' range
-Camouflage 85%
-Detect Ambush 65% (Good for guarding against counter-snipers, as well as picking a position to shoot from)
-Intelligence 95%
-Land Nav 96%
-Prowl 75%
-Surveillance 90%
-Track People 85%
-Tailing 90%
-A Mount with many of the same capabilities (prowl of "only" 55%) who can assist in tracking (by smell, even), spotting, etc. And who can run 80 mph through rough/forested terrain, and even climb at 90%.

It would take a GB quite a few levels to be anywhere as skilled as a Shemarrian, and even then they couldn't get all of the same skills.
And a Shemarrian never needs to eat, or drink, or go to the bathroom, or gets an itch, or a leg cramp, or gets tired.
The Shemarrian rail gun is loud, but due to the suppressor system it's only about as loud as a shotgun blast.

Strike Bonuses:
An average GB will have a bonus of +4 to strike at first level, +6 on an Aimed Shot (if Aimed Shots are possible with the Boom Gun these days; RUE isn't clear). It won't be until level 4th level that his aim will be equal to a Shemarrian's, and it won't be until 7th level that his aim exceeds hers.
A Shemarrian will have a bonus of +6 to strike with her rail gun, +8 on an Aimed Shot (if Aimed Shots are possible with the Shemarrian Rail Gun these days; RUE isn't clear).

A 7th level+ GB will have better aim, and will be a better sniper in certain situations, like when stealth is not an issue, there is a clear 2 mile line of sight to the enemy, the enemy has poor mobility, etc.

But for overall sniper performance, I think that the Shemarrian clearly has the edge.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Once again, pro hot metal woman Bias.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

The best sniper would be a Rifted over OCC from HU, but I won't go into that.

Strictly Rifts, the best IMO is the Hyperion Juicer. They can get Sharp-Shooting, which is a must for this comparison. They can take the Sniper skill (or do they get it? I cannot recall), and they have one of thee best bonuses to PP, not to mention two additional attacks over the average Juicer's one additional attack. They have good stealth abilities (like all Juicers), and are more than capable of using the good ol' optics band for a bit of mechanical assistance. They are also extremely agile and mobile, capable of fitting into places most other snipers could never go. Finally, they have the skills to survive a wilderness ordeal above and beyond the shooting aspect.

Next up I'd put a Phaeton Juicer, if only because he can basically cheat. Stick one of them in a suit of that stealth Naruni PA with robot combat: elite and you've got the dude that is fast, invisible, huge bonus to strike, and has the most attacks. And can carry a really big gun.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.

KC, you do realize that the BG's cannon breaks the sound barrier right? Which means the target is dead long before they actually hear the 'boom'. On top of that, with a proper pain job and distance, the GB can hid better than just about anything else, and hell, with it's jet pack and pylons it could conceivably drill into the side of a clif, mountain or strong building.

As for it being artillery, one major point argues against that. It's Point and Shoot. No arc of fire, and no splase damage. Your argument that it's artillery is superficial based only on size and damage.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Ummm...

whyy are people so into the idea of Juicers as snipers?

you know what 98% of sniping is?

waiting.

sitting on your ass till the shot lines up.

A juicer is like a ten year old on sugar, caffeine and amphetamines with less patience.

a Juicer is the guy you shoot with a sniper.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

rat_bastard wrote:Ummm...

waiting.

A juicer is like a ten year old on sugar, caffeine and amphetamines with less patience.

I always suspected juicer snipers had their comps modded for extra tranqs
Dog_O_War
Champion

waiting.

Strictly bonuses talking when people list the Juicer. Besides that, nothing but RP makes a Juicer act like a crack-head; and even then, the book does not dictate that all Juicers must be ADD and otherwise unable to be calm and patient people.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Dog_O_War wrote:

waiting.

Strictly bonuses talking when people list the Juicer. Besides that, nothing but RP makes a Juicer act like a crack-head; and even then, the book does not dictate that all Juicers must be ADD and otherwise unable to be calm and patient people.

Aside from the side effect table in juicer uprising...
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Prince Artemis wrote:

waiting.

I always suspected juicer snipers had their comps modded for extra tranqs

nothing a guy full of military grade uppers needs like a fist full of downers... :P
Killer Cyborg
Priest

rat_bastard wrote:Once again, pro hot metal woman Bias.

Always!
;)

dark brandon
Knight

waiting.

Juicer harnesses are equipped with tranquilizers for down time. Their non-supernatural nature, their speed and agility make them great snipers.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Prince Artemis wrote:KC, you do realize that the BG's cannon breaks the sound barrier right? Which means the target is dead long before they actually hear the 'boom'.

Gee, if only I'd said something like:
Of course, at the maximum 2 mile range, the GB's shots are going to hit before the sound of the initial blast reaches the enemy- that won't hit for 10 seconds, so the GB will be able to get 2/3 of his attacks off before the enemy hears the sonic boom from his gun.
(Though I'm not sure if the rounds themselves make noise as they travel through the air at mach 5; they may very well might, in which case the doppler effect will help the enemy pinpoint the direction the shots are coming from quickly enough that the main boom won't make much difference.)
That's IF he has a clear line of sight that extends 2 miles all the way to his target, which won't be likely in most situations. More often than not, a sniper would have to get in closer for a clear line of sight, so even the main blast is going to give the location away pretty quick (about 1 mile per 5 seconds).

Oh, wait... I did.

On top of that, with a proper pain job and distance, the GB can hid better than just about anything else, and hell, with it's jet pack and pylons it could conceivably drill into the side of a clif, mountain or strong building.

While I actually could have gone into more detail about that, I did point out:
the best case scenario is that the GB can prevent his armor from sticking out like a sore and very shiny thumb; he can't actually blend, because he can't take the Camouflage skill.

As well as point out the obvious problem with using the Boom Gun in an urban setting.

I had intended to point out that even if you successfully dug yourself in somehow, and had somebody else build you a proper blind and such, the sound would still give you away and you'd still have to ultimately move to a new location... and spend another significant chunk of time trying to dig yourself in (or have your sidekick properly cover you up).
Mobility and stealth are a sniper's friends, and the GB doesn't have either.

As for it being artillery, one major point argues against that. It's Point and Shoot. No arc of fire, and no splase damage. Your argument that it's artillery is superficial based only on size and damage.

And the fact that the books describe its original role as such, IIRC.
Perhaps it was in Quebec.

The point is, just because something is long-range and accurate does not mean it's going to make a great sniper.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Prince Artemis wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:

waiting.

Aside from the side effect table in juicer uprising...

And the part of the Juicer description that states (RUE 80):
"Tends to be a bit jumpy and anxious even under the best of conditions. Boredom is a constant enemy and the bio-comp will counter with tranquilizers and euphoria drugs to make the feel feel good/zoned-out, and instantly jolt the Juicer alert and ready for action in 15 seconds (one melee) when necessary. That first melee round however, the Juicer has only half his normal combat bonuses."

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Even if they are capable of sitting still you do not ask a person with a 5-7 year lifespan to sit on his ass for hours on end while waiting for his shot, juicers live in the moment, they don't play "hurry up and wait".
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I think people consider Juicers great assassins because they have the Juicer Assassin Rifle. I would probably use a Skelebot for such a thing. Ultimately the best solution is one that you can't defeat... a Killsat from Orbit would do the trick... especially if it has a wide area of attack.
dark brandon
Knight

rat_bastard wrote:Even if they are capable of sitting still you do not ask a person with a 5-7 year lifespan to sit on his ass for hours on end while waiting for his shot, juicers live in the moment, they don't play "hurry up and wait".

That's why hiring juicer assassins are expensive.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Killer Cyborg wrote:The point is, just because something is long-range and accurate does not mean it's going to make a great sniper.

Oh, so the fact it's one of the better one shot one kill weapons on record, has some of the best damage and best range in the game and is mounted on a suit that is not only designed to handle punishment but also to allow the pilot to live in one area, unmoving, for long periods of time, makes it not a great sniper weapon? Riiiight.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Prince Artemis wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:The point is, just because something is long-range and accurate does not mean it's going to make a great sniper.

Oh, so the fact it's one of the better one shot one kill weapons on record, has some of the best damage and best range in the game and is mounted on a suit that is not only designed to handle punishment but also to allow the pilot to live in one area, unmoving, for long periods of time, makes it not a great sniper weapon? Riiiight.

Gentlemen, there are two factors you're missing here.
First is that the weapons do not make the sniper. The Boomgun is just as effective in the hands of a Flooper piloting a GB as it is for anyone else. Weapon does not equal skill.

Second is that in this case, this weapon may be as much a liability as an advantage. The boomgun is good for sniping a single, powerful target. But put a dozen Juicers in minimal body armour hidden amoungst the woods, and all of a sudden you've got a liability on your hands.
Weapons of choice are dependant on the scenario. Boomgun sniping a SuperSAM in the woods; good. Boomgun sniping a trio of Glitterboy Killers in a reasonably close-quarters city-ruins; bad.

All other factors do not matter if the weapon becomes a liability; as no weapon is 100% reliable during all situations, we cannot simply compare weapons. Remember that even a crossbow can be the best choice in a given situation.

Besides all that, this is a comparison of skill, not hardware.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Balabanto
Champion

I can't even put the glitter boy on the list. The primary features of a sniper are remaining in a concealed position and making no noise, enabling a quick getaway.

A glitter boy is a long range artillerist mobile unit. It's bright, shiny, and makes a colossal noise when it shoots.

The goal of being a sniper isn't to get your kill and get killed. The goal of being a sniper is to get your kill and then make a quick escape.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Prince Artemis wrote:

The fact that it's a 10' tall chrome mirror with a pilot that lacks any camouflage skills, and with a gun that can be heard for miles away makes it a bad sniper, along with the other stuff that I've pointed out (like lack of prowl, relatively poor speed, etc).

But my point there was that if you're going to call anything with a big, powerful, long-range weapon a "sniper" then you might as well just call the SDF-1 the best sniper in the Megaverse, since it's main gun has the best damage an range (or maybe the SDF 3 does... either way).

But calling it a sniper doesn't make it one; it's a spaceship with a big gun.
Just like the Glitterboy is a robot vehicle with a big gun. The boom gun wasn't designed to be anti-personnel; it was designed to be anti-armor.
It's designed to battled it out with tanks, not to hide in the bushes and pick off individuals.

Calling the Glitterboy a sniper is like calling a modern day tank a sniper; it just doesn't really fit.
Regardless of whether or not you could hide a tank in some bushes and use it to pick off individual humans, that's simply not what it was designed for.

THAT was my only point in calling the GB "artillery;" to point out that the purpose of the robot vehicle is to target other vehicles and/or building, not to pick of specific people, and certainly NOT STEALTH.
And the single most important factor for sniping is stealth.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dog_O_War wrote:this is a comparison of skill, not hardware.

It's both.
The sneakiest, most accurate person in the world isn't going to rack up many kills if all he's got is a Nerf-rifle.

More than that, it's a comparison of capability; no matter how skilled you are, if you physically cannot lift the weapon that you need to use for the job, you're going to have trouble sneaking around with it.

An effective sniper needs to be stealthy, needs to have access to good weaponry, and needs to have the ability to use and carry that weaponry.
In Rifts, that's going to rule out a lot of the weaker classes, because while sometimes a crossbow IS the right weapon for the job, it usually isn't. Usually the right weapon for the job is going to be a large, powerful, and heavy weapon.

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Best class for me is probably Gunfighter, but most any men at arms could work.

Best armor is probably Naruni stealth power armor, good sight range plus camouflage ability in addition to the extra attacks.

I also have to give it to the Naruni shoulder cannon, though the Welling industries 15mm sniper rifle and the JA-12 would definitely be in that mix.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Killer Cyborg wrote:The fact that it's a 10' tall chrome mirror with a pilot that lacks any camouflage skills, and with a gun that can be heard for miles away makes it a bad sniper, along with the other stuff that I've pointed out (like lack of prowl, relatively poor speed, etc).

But my point there was that if you're going to call anything with a big, powerful, long-range weapon a "sniper" then you might as well just call the SDF-1 the best sniper in the Megaverse, since it's main gun has the best damage an range (or maybe the SDF 3 does... either way).

Just like the Glitterboy is a robot vehicle with a big gun. The boom gun wasn't designed to be anti-personnel; it was designed to be anti-armor.
It's designed to battled it out with tanks, not to hide in the bushes and pick off individuals.

Calling the Glitterboy a sniper is like calling a modern day tank a sniper; it just doesn't really fit.
Regardless of whether or not you could hide a tank in some bushes and use it to pick off individual humans, that's simply not what it was designed for.

THAT was my only point in calling the GB "artillery;" to point out that the purpose of the robot vehicle is to target other vehicles and/or building, not to pick of specific people, and certainly NOT STEALTH.

Exactly - for the same reasons, long range missile platforms aren't really snipers either.
dark brandon
Knight

gadrin wrote:
el magico -- darklorddc wrote:That's how I do it, usually. If you headshot someone and do any significant damage...they're toast. And even if they're not dead, they're down for the count for the forseeable future.
Some things break that rule, like high-speed regenerators and very big MDC supernatural/creatures of magic. A dragon, for instance, can take a mini-missile to the dome. He'll be loopy (supernatural stun rules from HU2 GM"s guide) for a bit, but he's still up....UNLESS....you roll a critical. A critical on a called head shot for my games and that's that.

Another good one is the Super-Spy Mage from Rifts Mercenaries, coupled with the Power Bolt spell.

Code: Select all

Range: 1,600 feet (487 m) +100 feet (30.5 m) per level of experience.
Damage: 5D6 M.D. +2 per level of the spell caster.

Plus the

Code: Select all

This attack never misses, unless the intended victim rolls a natural or modified (with bonuses) 20 or higher to dodge.

No dodge if it's a surprise attack, and he's not a Juicer/Crazy, etc, etc.

This means head shots are relatively easy on almost any target; and doesn't require the SNIPER skill.

Of course almost any mage can use the spell as well.

>

Ready for the debate?

Can Power bolt be aimed/targeted, or does it always strike the main body?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

dark brandon wrote:Can Power bolt be aimed/targeted, or does it always strike the main body?

I deliberately did NOT address this earlier. :p

If it automatically hits, then it hits the main body.

Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Talavar wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:The fact that it's a 10' tall chrome mirror with a pilot that lacks any camouflage skills, and with a gun that can be heard for miles away makes it a bad sniper, along with the other stuff that I've pointed out (like lack of prowl, relatively poor speed, etc).

Exactly - for the same reasons, long range missile platforms aren't really snipers either.

Actually, that would be assassin. Stealth is important only up to making the shot and possible escape. Making the kill is the most important factor for sniping.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Prince Artemis wrote:
Talavar wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:And the single most important factor for sniping is stealth.

Actually, that would be assassin. Stealth is important only up to making the shot and possible escape. Making the kill is the most important factor for sniping.

You have them backwards.
An assassin's job is to make the kill.
A sniper's job is to shoot from a concealed position.

Balabanto
Champion

A Lanotaur is not a Man at Arms. He cannot have the sharpshooting skill.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Balabanto wrote:A Lanotaur is not a Man at Arms. He cannot have the sharpshooting skill.

Besides that, a Starfire Pulse cannon is governed under Heavy mega-damage weapons proficiency, which cannot be used in conjunction with Sharpshooting.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

Paratrooper O.C.C. with all sort of goodies

Optic eyes, laser targeting, W.P. Sharpshooting, Sniper, W.P. Energy Rifle, a Jet Pack, HtH Assassin, Stalking (from Dinosaur Swamp), Naruni Camouflage sheets, etc etc.

Weapon of choice is the Wilk's Sniper Rifle from Merc Ops. Can't remember the model. You'll know it when you see it.

The NPC I rolled up has got like a +15 to strike on an aimed shot or something rediculous like that.
Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

Karsus wrote:A mage will always be the best sniper because nobody else could ever possibly match the mobility/escapability of one. You don't even have to use a spell because a mage can with a little training use any weapon a man of arms can. But why would you even bother. TP:Lesser cost virtually nothing and can be cast from miles away.. Use a grenade or something...

No. That makes a mage a great KILLER. Not a sniper. Planting a bomb in someones underoos is a great way to blow them up, but does not involve sniping one little bit.
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Karsus wrote:
Temporalmage wrote:
Karsus wrote:A mage will always be the best sniper because nobody else could ever possibly match the mobility/escapability of one. You don't even have to use a spell because a mage can with a little training use any weapon a man of arms can. But why would you even bother. TP:Lesser cost virtually nothing and can be cast from miles away.. Use a grenade or something...

No. That makes a mage a great KILLER. Not a sniper. Planting a bomb in someones underoos is a great way to blow them up, but does not involve sniping one little bit.

It's a surprise long range attack from a concealed position. How is that any different than shooting them with an RPG? or that Glitterboy boom gun? or the mdc converted 50? or even an old school sdc rifle...

Because chucking a grenade is not shooting.

Also, you're not attacking from a concealed position as much as you're attacking from a remote position miles away.
Totally different skills.

With modern day body armor, you would have to hit them with something big to guarantee the kill.. or even reasonably damage them...

Guaranteeing the kill isn't a necessary part of being a sniper, though, only shooting from a concealed position.

In fact, shooting to wound is sometimes the preferred option.

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Seneca wrote:Depends on if you are using the T.A.G. rules from the sniper article in the Rifter or not.

which Rifter is it in ?
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

My picks would be the Master Assassin,Gunfighter,and the Brutal Killer.I would match these up with humans or D-Bee's.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

A properly equipped Glitter Girl Pilot is a pretty good kinetic sniper. Assuming the character has the correct skill set, they can snipe people with relatively large mega-damage sniper rounds from over a mile away. They only do 2d6 MD per shot, but from game experience it's excellent for taking out just about any humanoid type being. Even if it takes more then 2d6 to the head to kill the enemy, they just got nailed IN THE HEAD by an explosive round going at god knows what speed. Usually the target is disoriented after the first shot opening it up to more sniper fire. Plus from game experience the Gigi is excellent at taking out enemy equipment and supplies using the rifle, which is probably what the weapon was intended for.

For non-mecha snipers the best one I can think of is a Juicer. They are built for assassination and they got the mobility. Cyborgs are a good second but they are a bit noisy most of the time.

And best kinetic sniper rifle? The Bandit 5000 big bore railgun. Even if the guy is wearing a helmet, if he is SDC his neck is getting snapped from that blast, which in Rifts usually means death. The only thing that particular strategy doesn't work on for SDC beings are Quebec Soldiers because the neck protector actually keeps the head from being jarred that much.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:

Return to “Rifts®”